Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • If you could only listen to one musical artist for the rest of your life…
  • egb81
    Free Member

Off topic but have you read his biography?

Not yet. I’m waiting to see what Santa leaves me. But yes, I can well imagine it isn’t your usual biography and perhaps shouldn’t be taken literally!
    It’s very readable. I’m pretty sure there’s an element of humour and lack of seriousness involved.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends.

If I had 38 minutes and 26 seconds to live then it would be David Bowie’s Low album.

medders
    Free Member

Robert Plant (by which I mean Led Zeppelin really with a dash of Band of Joy)

DezB
    Free Member

Mike Peters!! Mile Peters?! Jeeeezzuzz!

I don’t think Binners has taken this as seriously as it deserves!

I think I’d rather die than only listen to one artist ever again, but it’d probably be Underworld if I did.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Joy Division…. not New Order just saying

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Zappa for me. A large and varied calalogue.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

sorry to be dull – but if only one – Wolfgang…

Flaperon

Michael Stipe. Though his giant beard is a bit distracting.

skaifan
    Free Member

Talking heads

CountZero

It wouldn’t be possible, there are far too many whose music I feel I couldn’t live without, to be able to chose just one.
    Plus, I feel that you’d have to leave long periods without listening, otherwise familiarity would lead inevitably to boredom.
    I do recognise the fact that there are plenty of people who have huge collections of the recorded works of just one artist, and listen to nothing else.
    I’m afraid I really don’t understand such an obsession.

yossarian
    Free Member

Richard D James

edhornby

Miles davis, there’d be loads to go at and a lot of different styles

choppersquad
    Free Member

Agnes Obel for me.
    A voice like a syrup covered angel.

nickc

If pushed…probably Radiohead

metalheart
    Free Member

Miles Davis

Yup, could probably do that.

I’d probably plump for Arvo Part myself though.

I think anything with lyrics you’d tire of in the end.

slowoldman

I agree with rickmeister on Zappa and for the same reason. I did manage to go about a year listening to not much else.It might have to be oboist Nicholas Daniel though.

I see metalheart is cheating by going for composer rather than artist with Part. If that’s aloud I’m going for Beethoven, no wait, Mozart, er no, Britten. No, it can’t be done really.

metalheart
    Free Member

I see metalheart is cheating by going for composer rather than artist with Part

So you’re saying you can listen to Zappa (but only if he’s playing cover versions)?

Pärt’s musical education began at age seven. He began attending music school in Rakvere, where his family lived. By the time he reached his early teenage years, Pärt was writing his own compositions. His first serious study came in 1954 at the Tallinn Music Middle School, but less than a year later he temporarily abandoned it to fulfill military service, playing oboe and percussion in the army band.

I’d say that Part is definitely a musical artist. I’m not so sure about some of the the other choices though…. 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d get bored of modern music no matter how good. Another one for Mozart.

teasel
    Free Member

a syrup covered angel

Kinky with a hint of sacrilege.

Nom Nom

…but only if it’s Lyle’s, obviously.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I think I could listen to Neil Diamond for pretty much the of the rest of my life if I had to, I would need to start with his early stuff on repeat for years & only move onto the God squad stuff later on, much like people do as they get old anyway 😉

wordnumb
    Free Member

This guy:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRYNKlEsQyw[/video]

forzafkawi
    Free Member

The trio that is Ludwig van Beethoven

Northwind

Using the Paul@RTW Manoeuvre, I’ll have Ginger Wildheart and all of his 50 billion sideprojects.

Clobber
    Free Member

David Gilmour

badgerbater
    Free Member

Lloyd Cole…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Can I not just buy a guitar? 😆

slimjim78
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/IFfhHuI_8Rg[/video]

Stones, Dylan, Beatles, Possibly Zepp, Bowie are all good if obvious choices for depth of catalogue. Desert Island discs is a fabulous concept but in reality is so hard to choose as you know any one artist would probably drive you nuts at some point – like water torture.

Kate Bush was great shout above though, as is Waits

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can I not just buy a guitar?

Edukator beat you to that. BTW if he assess himself as crap I shudder to think where that puts me.

joelowden

Another one for Wolfie.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

God, what a question!

Toss up between Led Zeppelin, Bowie and Tchaikovsky for me

Think I’d plump for Bowie. Music without Hunky Dory & Ziggy just wouldn’t be worth it

slimporcini
    Free Member

Herbie Hancock maybe.

Cowman

Bach or Ryan Adams, very very different!

firestarter
    Free Member

David Gilmour or Roger waters, preferably together I’m that little band they used to have. Enough variety there to last a good while

senorj

A three sided coin toss between Underworld , Ryan Adams & Beck.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Someone with an exceptionally extensive discography and live recording catalogue.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Gomez

selkirkbear
    Free Member

slowoldman

I’d say that Part is definitely a musical artist. I’m not so sure about some of the the other choices though….

OK then, I’m sure the same can be said of any composer. In which case I’m going for Britten, composer, pianist, violist. For the same reason as Zappa really – enormous range of works.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Trent Reznor.

scud
    Free Member

Beck, Eels or maybe Black Francis… or DJ Shadow… or..bugger it’s too hard. I like that music is varied and suits the mood.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘If you could only listen to one musical artist for the rest of your life…’ is closed to new replies.