Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • If I call a non-EU mobile number…
  • rsmythe
    Free Member

but their phone is situated in the UK, will it be charged at overseas rates? The phone being used to make the call doesn’t have any special international plan. Asking for a friend (really, I am. They are texting someone who claims to be in the UK but the calls are costing a lot).

Thank you in advance!

beej

Yes – you’ll be charged at the rate of calling their home country. The recipient may be charged for the incoming call too.

Moses

If both phones use Whatsapp, then the calls using the app will be free

Cougar

They are texting someone who claims to be in the UK but the calls are costing a lot

Texting or calling?

you’ll be charged at the rate of calling their home country.

This is my understanding also. Billing is based on the number you dial.

The recipient may be charged for the incoming call too.

This I’m less sure of. It used to be the case decades ago, but a UK mobile can no longer be charged for receiving calls. Whether that is unique to the UK or internationally agreed I do not know.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. This was just text messages, not calls.

Alphabet

I don’t think it matters to you where in the world their phone currently is. Your friend is texting a foreign phone number and will be charged as per their price plan.

stevie750

If I text my american friend when he is in the UK it costs about 50p

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

but their phone is situated in the UK, will it be charged at overseas rates?

As already said but just to confirm – they’re still “roaming” so calling/texting will be charged as per your price plan and they may be charged for receiving calls/texts also.

But if you call a UK mobile number who are “roaming” you will never be charged more than the standard UK calling charge. They will be charged for the extra cost, not you.

scaredypants

Is it that girl who was DMing people on here ?

Bad news; I don’t think she’s genuine 🙁

Cougar

But if you call a UK mobile number who are “roaming” you will never be charged more than the standard UK calling charge. They will be charged for the extra cost, not you.

Again,

I’m not aware of any situation where a UK mobile will ever be charged extra for receiving calls. To the best of my knowledge that practice went out of the window decades ago.

If you’ve got evidence to the contrary I’d appreciate the updated information.

branes

Again,

I’m not aware of any situation where a UK mobile will ever be charged extra for receiving calls. To the best of my knowledge that practice went out of the window decades ago.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Mobile_roaming?content_aid=1220478515831

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Again,

The person calling a number will never be charged extra. The person receiving the call (if enabled via roaming) will be charged. This has been the rule for a while now. Basically, if I call a UK mobile number but the recipient is in Africa, for example, then the caller (who is unaware of the recipient’s location) will not be charged for the “roaming” part of the call. The recipient takes the hit.

johnhe

As far as I know, when I use my mobile overseas, I think I’m charged a local rate for calling people in the country I’m visiting. But if people in that country call me, they still need to call a UK number. So clearly, they pay for an international call.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Seems like a pretty clear consensus on the question asked – thanks all!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘If I call a non-EU mobile number…’ is closed to new replies.