• This topic has 111 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • idieting away the last 5kg. Why isn't it working?
  • iDave
    Free Member

carbs are for energy. if you’re not exercising enough the body stores that energy in fat. you can also use fat as fuel for exercise and to fuel recovery. sugars cause a big insulin response which can lead to fat gains and insulin insensitivity.

this ‘diet’ is a simple way to manipulate these factors. that’s all. i’m sure you can pick holes in it, but the plan some of you have followed was generic to help as many people as possible lose fat who have many different lifestyles. it seems to have done that more effectively than ‘eat less exercise more’, which I have personally tried and found pretty lacking.

with the athletes and normal bods I work with professionally, things get more complex and also more effective. many of them start skeptical then get pissed off that no one has pointed certain things out to them before and then they get angry at the health/fitness/nutrition industry.

personally i choose to buy ingredients and cook stuff, i drink wine, i don’t find it a flaff to make a flat bread, and I would appear to be healthy. do what you want to do, eat what you want to eat. I’m not actually that bothered what anyone else does. I do think the population is being fed a lot of shit, both as food and as information.

sobriety
    Free Member

Bread is one of man’s greatest inventions!

I agree wholeheartedly, unfortunately I have a habit of Buy Loaf, Cut Loaf, Eat Loaf in the space of a day…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

. How is your knee, leg, the thing you had a problem with a few weeks ago ?.

Still no riding, running, climbing, yoga… it’s all about upper body weights and swimming with a pull buoy for the time being.

Slowly gaining more mobility, can bend it a little beyound 90 deg so hopefully be in the saddle within a week 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

Solo – Member
    I won’t be able to keep this up all day, work must prevail.

don’t bother, bored already 😉

Please provide your clinical evidence that grain is good.

Trial and error mate.
    Its the human way, don’tcha know.

So which is it to be, clinical evidence or trial and error, you can’t have it both ways ….

… anyway, I do broadly agree with iDave – fat people obviously need guidance in how to feed themselves and the iGuidleines are a good generic basis for many people.
    Also agree with

I do think the population is being fed a lot of shit, both as food and as information.

Which is why I base my eating around a mix of unprocessed seasonal foods rather than have a list of Good Food/Bad Food……

IanMunro
    Free Member

Thankfully crisps are in season at the mo 😀

Solo
    Free Member

the plan some of you have followed was generic to help as many people as possible lose fat who have many different lifestyles. it seems to have done that more effectively than ‘eat less exercise more’, which I have personally tried and found pretty lacking.

Couldn’t agree more.

get pissed off that no one has pointed certain things out to them before and then they get angry at the health/fitness/nutrition industry
    Thats exactly what I’ve been through.
    The “Why didn’t anyone tell me this before” experience.

I do think the population is being fed a lot of shit, both as food and as information.
    Oh yeah.
    😉

swimming with a pull buoy
    You is a crazy mad man !.
    😀

Slowly gaining more mobility, can bend it a little beyound 90 deg so hopefully be in the saddle within a week
    Good stuff, glad to learn its all getting better.
    Its a bitch when you can’t just jump onto a bike and go, eh ?.
    🙂

Solo
    Free Member

HD.

I’d still like to read your proof that bread in inherently good for us.
    Seeds or no…..

No ?, oh well, thanks for posting anyway.
    😀

Thankfully crisps are in season at the mo
    So is bread, and according to some, it is what we have evolved to eat and survive on.

Seeing as I haven’t eaten bread for months now.

I must be dead.
    😯

oddjob
    Free Member

idave
    Can you send me a link to your comapany. I may be interested in some help

wmillarduk at yahoo dot co dot uk

iDave
    Free Member

YGM

hayesrobin
    Free Member

Slow carb always is the best for losing weight. Specially to say about pagg stack. I am a x pagg stack user.

petergriffin
    Free Member

Back to the original post topic…
    Keep a food diary of your meals and check out the calorific values, plenty of websites for this, bit of a chore though.
    Try cycling your carbs so that you have less carbs on non excercise days and more on excercise days. Don’t have a shed load of carbs in the evening if you can help it. Are you eating stuff you shouldn’t be eating? For eg, carrots are healthy and all that, but you get the energy/carbs mainly from sugars….insulin peak.. If you are stuck at a certain weight, you have got to a point where the Kcals you are eating are being burned at a rate that keeps you at a steady weight for the emount of activity you are doing…happy days, more specifically the type of energy ( Fats, proteins and carbs) you take in are being used at a certain rate.
    You can try to alter the ratio of carbs/fats/protein you require to see if things change.
    Having a calorie deficient diet will cause you to loose weight, but also muscle, reduce your energy, and can’t be sustained. Fats From nuts seeds etc, are not your enemy, you need fats to burn fat.
    Depends really on how much you want to loose that last few percent of BF as to how much work you put into it.
    Look on some body building websites, theres loads of info on diets, macro ratios etc which you will find usefull.
    You must keep a day a week as a day of eating faster release carbs, your body has a natural mechanism to slow your metabolism down and the “day off” stops this happening. Slower matabolism means burning your Kcals slower…more excess over a 24 hr period…more fat storage
    If all else fails, go to Boots chemist, ask for some Do Do chesteeze tabs, say you got a tight chest, (not asthma) combine 2 of these with a 200mg caffeine tablet and a 75mg aspirin twice a day for a week or so and see how you go…but google ECA stack First!!!
    Personally lost about 8 to 9kg in about 3 months. Steady now for about 3 weeks on 72 KG ish, happy as i am at the minute. Basic slow carb/iDave diet. easy peasy!

iDave
    Free Member

I’ll have a decent response to this is 3 or 4 weeks as I’m now on a mission to be pretty lean for mid-Jan.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is relevant to my interests.

Solo
    Free Member

I’ll have a decent response to this is 3 or 4 weeks as I’m now on a mission to be pretty lean for mid-Jan

Ah !, so thats the secret to getting rid of the last Kg or two.
    No typing, no forum posting and no internet.
    Wow !, who’d have thought it ?.

My current mission is preparation for Xmas 😀
    I already have the wine, collected a case last week.

Yes, the question of the stubborn stomach insulation.

I’ve seen / read a fair bit of chat on this subject.

The day off thing.
    I can see its important, and yes, under conditions of sustained low/no carbs, the body would, it seems, adjust.
    Hence giving it a kick up the ass, every now and then.

But day off can mean just more carbs, not junk.
    🙂

you need fats
    Yes, some fats are very useful.
    Don’t fear the fat.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ooooh, iDave… why tease us like that?!

I’m on a mission to reduce lean bodyweight to make sub 75kg more realistic to maintain.

Solo
    Free Member

I’m on a mission to reduce lean bodyweight to make sub 75kg more realistic to maintain

The same question to you 😉 , Why ?.

Also, if you would.
    Dimensions.
    You aim to be consistently 75Kg, but how tall are you ?.

😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll have a decent response to this is 3 or 4 weeks as I’m now on a mission to be pretty lean for mid-Jan.

*swoon*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Solo…

5’10”
    31-32″ waist.
    43″ chest.
    Size 8.5 feet.

Yes Jamie, you can swoon now.

iDave
    Free Member

*swoon*

Jamie
    Free Member

*jizz*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh, and why? Because I want to… because fit athlete types are lighter than me, because I think I’ve got rid of the fat now, so it’s the only way I can get lighter.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOL – Jamie which Garmin have you got?

Jamie
    Free Member

310XT.

Best solution for multisport use I found….although the 910XT is coming out soon.

Darcy also has the 310XT, so you would be in our gang if you got one.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m wondering whether to hold out for the 910xt as I really want the swim functions… or just get the 310 now and buy a swimovate watch as well.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not a swimmer myself, so the only thing I like about the 910XT is the thinner size.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

You still going to get a garmin then yeti? I like my forerunner 305, but only use it for running/mtb’ing (polar on the road). Oh, i cleaned several 6bs climbing last night…seriously chuffed to bits!! 😀 Mustard and I still don’t ‘get’ bouldering though…care to explain?

I’ve decided the best way to lose and maintain weight is to go touring in Portugal and Spain…eat as much as you like and the weight still falls off. A month later, its slowly going back on. The only solution is to cycle tour all the time!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie – do you think you’d prefer running and cycling specific ones?

I reckon I will Dirty… it’s just what to buy… multisport thing, or individual ones… running is the one I’m least bothered about… I think, although might have swung a place for the 2012 London marathon.

Well done you! What’s not to get about bouldering? More technical, tougher short climbs? Like doing reps… which should make you a better climber…

You done the write up for your tour yet? Ordered the mrs a roadie at the weekend… plans for JOGLE are afoot.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

London 2012, wow! You using the garmin for swimming, riding and running?

I dunno re bouldering. We’ve tried it the last couple of weeks. I get that it improves climbing technique but other than that…? There’s a steep over hang on the bouldering wall that i’m working up the courage to try!

Not written up the blog yet other than the first day! Been too busy doing stuff! What roadie did she opt for? I take it you’ll be bringing the good weather up here again during jogle? I reckon we could be tempted to join you for more than a few days this time.

molgrips
    Free Member

I want a Forerunner or at least something that can call my intervals and be strapped to my wrist. I’m resorting to holding my phone in my hand whilst running currently, not ideal.

Re bouldering DG – I find it easier, less faff.. and also good for trying bonkers things that I’m too scared to try on the wall.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

also good for trying bonkers things that I’m too scared to try on the wall.

Ha, i’ll try way harder stuff on the wall than i will bouldering, although the bf has to keep the rope super tight when i’m trying sillyharder routes. 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Will have to get a lot of money for charity if I do the marathon and hate asking people to sponsor me to do stuff I enjoy (well I don’t actually like running but still).

That’s the plan… or get an Edge500, a swimovate and let a Nike+ sort out running duties.

Solo
    Free Member

Solo…

5’10”
    31-32″ waist.
    43″ chest.
    Size 8.5 feet.

Yes Jamie, you can swoon now.

Surprizingly similar to me then.

I’m slightly taller at 6’1″

I’m coming in at around 78-79 Kg at the moment, but seem to maintain this weight easily.

iDave, what you still doing here ?, I thought you were in training mode.

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘idieting away the last 5kg. Why isn't it working?’ is closed to new replies.