Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Identify my winged beast
  • beamers

Check out this beauty:

2 pence piece as a size reference:

What’s the STW verdict?

z1ppy

Hover fly?

Jakester
    Free Member

Horsefly?

Jakester
    Free Member

Murder hornet?

Jakester
    Free Member

Cootie?

Northwind

Definitely looks like a hoverfly of some sort but it’s a monster isn’t it, never seen one anything like that big

ElShalimo

Houns

Not a baby Robin

citizenlee
    Free Member

Hammer a sausage into it.

bearnecessities

Phone reckons it’s tabanus sudeticus, more commonly known as a giant **** off horsefly.

thebibbles

Horsefly, kill the b’stard.

beamers

The Express says we are doomed.

Just popped out to deal with it and it’s buzzed off.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Could be a really small 2p.

gallowayboy

Is the 2 p gone? if so, Robber Fly.

cheers_drive

it’s a giant horsefly, had one in our tent whilst camping in France a few years back. Sounded like a squadron of helicopters. Very cool eyes

p7eaven
    Free Member

Yes, dark giant horsefly

Cougar

If we’ve now got Murder Horseflies then it’s game over and I sure as shit wouldn’t be getting that close to the bastard. Regular ones are the insect equivalent of a gang of pubescents with knives, if they’ve brought their dad then I’m done.

fazzini

If we’ve now got Murder Horseflies then it’s game over and I sure as shit wouldn’t be getting that close to the bastard. Regular ones are the insect equivalent of a gang of pubescents with knives, if they’ve brought their dad then I’m done.

The end of the world is nigh 😱
    Now where did I put my flamethrower?

swavis

Horsefly. Kill it with fire 🔥

Then nuke it from orbit just to be sure, ken?

joshvegas
    Free Member

These threads are normally about wood flies which look like weapons grade bellend nutcases with an inch long needle ready stab your eye out if you look at it funny but are totally harmless.

That thing up there needs deaded.

dyna-ti

Wood flies

Is that the same as a wood wasp ?, aka A giant horntail, which are big+scary looking, but harmless.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I sure as shit wouldn’t be getting that close to the bastard.

Luckily you need to make zero effort either way. She’ll come to you. Coolest thing about her IMO is the silent stealth she uses when approaching prey.

She likes your smell, your breath, possibly your clothes.

Dark colors – particularly the color blue – CO2 and fast movement are incredibly attractive to a horse fly, as are the results of such; body heat and body odor are particularly attractive.

https://sciencing.com/attracts-horseflies-8669865.html

joshvegas
    Free Member

Is that the same as a wood wasp ?, aka A giant horntail, which are big+scary looking, but harmless.

Yeah that’s them, sound like a chinook coming in to land.

CountZero

Seems like it’s the Dark Giant Horsefly:

https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2016/06/30/male-dark-giant-horse-fly-uk/

That’s a male, though – they have contiguous eyes, the female’s eyes are separated. The males feed on nectar, it’s the females that are the noisy bloodsucking daemons!

batfink
    Free Member

Yeah, nah

This is a pretty regular sight in my neck of the woods – a spider wasp stinging a large huntsman spider, and struggling to carry it off for it’s lunch

The sting is described as “blinding, fierce, and shockingly electric. A running hair dryer has been dropped into your bubble bath.” Only the sting of the bullet ant, Paraponera clavata, is ranked higher, with a 4+ rating.

kayak23

That’s a male, though – they have contiguous eyes, the female’s eyes are separated. The males feed on nectar, it’s the females that are the noisy bloodsucking daemons!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Identify my winged beast’ is closed to new replies.