Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • iDave diet – a £ for a pound? (AKA payback)
  • iDave
    Free Member

5.2mph for 12hrs.

Less of that kind of thing please.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Best of luck achieving your time

I don’t really weight myself but have probably lost a few lbs, so donated. Been doing a bit of the iDave thing for a bit now a like it.
    really don’t miss the bread and potatoes etc at all, just desserts!

have you run at altitude before Dave?
    I just about doubled my Marathon PB (road) in the Himalayas a few years ago, off road and up to about 12000ft but still. Really changes things, inclines you’d not really worry about normally become impossible to run.

iDave
    Free Member

Thanks Keith

I haven’t found altitude to be an issue before, except after a beer at 13,000ft

If I have the energy a few days after I may have a pop at Mt Kenya.

*waits for ianpinder to arrive on the thread 😉 *

SD-253
    Free Member

I’m running 100km at altitude, in heat, around the foothills of Mt Kenya on 23rd June to raise money for Leukaemia research. Lost good friends to it. I hate running – aiming for a finish time of 11 hours.

No chance you are living in a dream world and I am ignoring

in heat, around the foothills of Mt Kenya

and

I hate running

. I have done a 100k and nobody runs all the way. The rules are run on the flat and downhill and walk uphill. My last one (and only 100k the rest were 50 milers) was near Ramsbottom mainly on the moors where I quickly dropped the run down hill, well at least on the moors, as you ended up flat on your back (to slippy). Now as you are clearly not a runner judging by

I hate running

Then assuming you finish? I do not believe you will finish before the cutoff time when taking into account all the extras IE Big hills and the heat (although it might be very cold at night). The speed you are suggesting with no water stops is 5.68 miles an hour????????? You have to be kidding. Stopping other than for having your “card marked” and for water is a requirement. Stopping for any period of time will mean your muscles will lock up. Also changes of socks will be necessary due to the sand/gravel which will get into your shoes and make your blisters worse note worse not create them. With out a change of attitude I do not believe you will make it…………………in 24 hours
    You need to train by reducing your cycling significantly and doing lots of slow but long runs, working up to a 50 miler even every other week. Cycling will have a negative effect as it increases/enlarges your hamstring and decrease your lower back, stomach muscles, Gluteus Maximus (Bum muscle) and most importantly quadriceps, relative to the muscles that are created/increased when running.
    An option I use is a cross trainer type machine a sort of skiing machine?? I started using this when A/ Arthritis in one knees got the better of me B/ and I noticed a big drop off in fitness when playing Rugby when I had to do a lot more cycling. The latter took the form of my quadriceps feeling burnt out all the time. The advantage of the machine is it works your Quads and Hamstring etc similar to running. There is no impact which means no effect on arthritis but also no pain the next day caused by impact which allows you to get a better feel on how tired you are i.e. the tiredness is not hidden behind the pain?
    Most importantally of all is to remember that this is not just about being fit physically but also mentally. The latter is I think the more important.

Two years ago I did a 100km in Mongolian mountains in 18 hours

And now you are going to knock 7 hours of your time??????

iDave
    Free Member

Last time I had 5 weeks to go from two 20 minute jogs per week to the 100km and I did it.

Training wise, I’m OK for advice, and I certainly don’t need to do any 50 milers – thanks anyway.

SD-253
    Free Member

Sorry but I think you do need to do some long ones not just for physicall fitness but mainly for mental fitness.

donsimon
    Free Member

SD-253, do you think you could come and teach my grandmother how to suck eggs too?
    I don’t think we need to worry about iDave too much. 😉

iDave
    Free Member

SD – I think you may be mistaken there

molgrips
    Free Member

SD-253 are you new around here? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

By the way folks the website for iDave’s event is here:

http://www.amazingmaasaiultra.org/

The pics look brililant! Makes me want to have a crack too 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

just to add, re’ knocking 7 hours off, last time my feet were blistered like bubble wrap after marathon distance with 36 miles remaining. So there was a lot of hobbling – and also 13,000ft of ascent. The blisters is not a situation I’ll allow to happen this time.

SD-253
    Free Member

You are knocking 7 hours of your previous time?

SD-253, do you think you could come and teach my grandmother how to suck eggs too?

Definition of “Grandmother sucking eggs” don’t give needless assistance or presume to offer advice to an expert”……..I doubt that iDave would consider himself an expert? do you?

I don’t think we need to worry about iDave too much.

Where did I say “WE” did?

molgrips – Member
    SD-253 are you new around here?

Is that relative to the discussion? or are you saying I have to be on this site for a set amount of time before I can join in discussions? If so can you tell me what that amount of time is?
    In The Falklands the marines, 2 and 3 Para walked with full kit to Port Stanley (via a few hills) The Welsh Guards lasted 6 miles before it became a shambles and they had to…..well enough said.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Agreed 11Hours sounds tough and ambitious, but good luck to you Dave

SD-253 I’m with iDave on the training, agreed that sort of distance is very much about mental strength though.
    I expect Dave knows this though as it’s not his first.

Myself and a few mates do a few ultras and AR’s, some people train like mad with massive weekly totals and others do far less and keep up plenty well without doing the big miles.

Myself and some of my mates in particular rarely do more than 20-30miles on foot in a week. One in particular has completed the Hardmoors 110M in under 24Hrs, Gobi march, Himalayan’ 100, Atacama crossing all with very respectable finishes oh and he won the British Ultra a few years ago too.
    Cyling is also core to the training I do
    Weekly 50Mile runs isn’t the only way to do things

not everyone who does Ultras needs to, or has the time for regular 50Milers to compete!

molgrips
    Free Member

The ‘are you new’ thing was a simple joke, that’s all. Suffice to say iDave knows what he is talking about.

What’s the tactic for avoiding blisters then?

SD-253
    Free Member

FOR don simon – Member

Teach not thy parent’s mother to extract
    The embryo juices of the bird by suction.
    The good old lady can that feat enact,
    Quite irrespective of your kind instruction.

donsimon
    Free Member

.I doubt that iDave would consider himself an expert? do you?

I would consider him to be much more of an expert than me, I’m not too sure what the qualifications are to be an expert, and I don’t think that he would enter into something like this with his eyes closed either.

SD-253 – Member

FOR don simon – Member

Teach not thy parent’s mother to extract
    The embryo juices of the bird by suction.
    The good old lady can that feat enact,
    Quite irrespective of your kind instruction.
    Thanks, every day a school day.

Solo
    Free Member

AAaannnnyywwaaayy.

I think iDave will have it covered and I’m sure he’s grateful for the concern some have declared here, born of their experiences, etc.

🙂

Edit: Good luck to you Dave 😉

SD-253
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    The ‘are you new’ thing was a simple joke, that’s all. Suffice to say iDave knows what he is talking about.

What’s the tactic for avoiding blisters then?
    Stay in bed!
    Other than that
    A/ It is normal to wear 2 pairs of socks a thin one underneath.
    B/ make sure your trainers fit (taking into account the 2 pairs of socks) and realy to be sure they do fit you need to do few long runs.
    C/ Do plenty of runs so as to harden your feet. The skin around old blisters or where any rubbing takes place will get harder overtime but will also go back to being soft very quickly so you need to stop the skin getting soft again.
    D/ Some people like using vasaline. Never tried it but kept meaning to.
    E/ Anyone with an ideas for a E/

donsimon
    Free Member

That was a nice break, now back to some fund raising. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Vaseline on the feet sounds unpleasant.

I never have problems with blisters whilst running but then I’ve never run more than 5 miles 🙂

SD-253
    Free Member

29erKeith – Member
    Agreed 11Hours sounds tough and ambitious, but good luck to you Dave

SD-253 I’m with iDave on the training, agreed that sort of distance is very much about mental strength though.
    I expect Dave knows this though as it’s not his first.

not everyone who does Ultras needs to, or has the time for regular 50Milers to compete!
    I am not sure what you define as regular but a couple or at least one is realy what I mean for both mental fitness and to make sure your trainers fit and realy to be sure they do fit you need to do few long runs.
    To harden your feet. The skin around old blisters or where any rubbing takes place will get harder overtime but will also go back to being soft very quickly so you need to stop the skin getting soft again.
    This my view based on my own experince. I noted after doing a 100k just how poor a condition I was in afterwords and how good a condition (relatively)I was in 3 weeks later after a 50 miler. An exageration but easy peasy after the 50.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually.. what shoes would one choose for this? It’s mostly dirt from the pictures with some rocks and rough ground.. Trail shoes I suppose would be good.

iDave
    Free Member

I use innov8 xtalon 212’s, no doubt SD won’t approve

SD-253
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Vaseline on the feet sounds unpleasant.

I never have problems with blisters whilst running but then I’ve never run more than 5 miles
    Think of it like greasing certain parts of your bike i.e. reducing friction although don’t over do it. I am not sure why you think it as unpleasant. The second row in Rugby use it or tape up the ears. Also a lot of the front row do.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve hardly used my Inov8s. I wish I had them with me in Germany actually, lots of opportunities here.

I am not sure why you think it as unpleasant

Slimy toes? Like walking through mud?

SD-253
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Actually.. what shoes would one choose for this? It’s mostly dirt from the pictures with some rocks and rough ground.. Trail shoes I suppose would be good.

Fell shoes are possible? But they are Fell shoes at the end of the day, Designed for fast descents and slippy conditions. And also to be very light.

SD-253
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    I use innov8 xtalon 212’s, no doubt SD won’t approve

Now now!! Lets not get bitchy

iDave
    Free Member

So anyway, cough up the cash

SD-253
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Slimy toes? Like walking through mud?
    I don’t think you would notice after a while and you would be putting to much on if you did anyway.

mt
    Free Member

Can’t get the virgin site to take my money iDave

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I will have someone post me my trail shoes. I fancy running up some Alps.

mt
    Free Member

They seem to have the dosh delivery system sorted now, all the best with the run. How about a report when you get back?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, we will need pics and a detailed report in return for our money.

iDave
    Free Member

Thanks for your donations people, blwn away by the STW generousity

I’ll do a full report and gore images

Best advice I’ve had so far is that elephants kill you, lions kill you and eat you and hyenas just eat you – keen to avoid hyenas

molgrips
    Free Member

Well predators tend to go for the stragglers, the weak ones.. so make sure you’re not in last place at any point…

Solo
    Free Member

Best advice I’ve had so far is that elephants kill you, lions kill you and eat you and hyenas just eat you – keen to avoid hyenas

Well, that’ll keep you on the move.

***must keep going, do not want to become hyena poo***
    😆

mt
    Free Member

What about a blister prevention experiment? Vaseline on one foot and nowt on the other. We would all know for when we do a 100k.

iDave
    Free Member

I’m using duct tape, vaseline and sock changes and have been walking around with sand in my socks

molgrips
    Free Member

Where does the duct tape go?

29erKeith
    Free Member

This stuff’s good on your feet Body Glide

I personally use one pair of single skin socks, BridgeDales are my favourites, plenty of wool in ’em, nice a soft, dry well and don’t chafe when wet like cotton/coolmax etc based socks do IME

Injinji’s are good too but you need a slightly wider toe box than normal to accommodate them

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘iDave diet – a £ for a pound? (AKA payback)’ is closed to new replies.