Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Hydraulic Shifting for MTB
  • Frankers
    Free Member

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not

Acros Hydro Shifting

Be interested to see if SRAM or Shimano develop hydraulic shifting also

Onzadog
    Free Member

A chap in the states tried it years ago. Scott Allen fife enterprises if I remember correctly. SAFE shifter I think they were called. Worked really well by all accounts and retro fit to existing mech and shifter. Just suffered from being too far ahead of their time.

neninja
    Free Member

The Acros system looks lovely but not at $1999!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

KISS

Whats the advantage over cables? Must be heavier to have a master cylinder. slave cylinder and a tube full of fluid compared to a cable

Frankers
    Free Member

Yep very expensive but maybe once more developed or mass produced costs could drop

I think it sounds more promising/reliable than electric shifting

I mean what’s happens if you’re out on the trail and your battery conks out

Frankers
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    KISS
    Whats the advantage over cables? Must be heavier to have a master cylinder. slave cylinder and a tube full of fluid compared to a cable
    POSTED 34 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

I suppose you have a point but…..,

What was your opinion when they brought out hydro brakes

Onzadog
    Free Member

Lighter shifting, less maintenance, no more gritty cables, or linked cables. Get the price down to a few hundred quid and I’m very interested. I think a retro fit system for existing shifts and mech would increase acceptance though. As cogs and chains get more tightly packed, I can see this improving shifting accuracy an awful lot.

Frankers
    Free Member

Easy for companies like Hope to develop as well

I’ve been thinking about something similar for a while for my Rohloff.
    With two full length cables and a twist grip, in muddy conditions I have got to the situation where I need two hands to change gear.
    I was thinking of a small hydraulic pump and reservoir on the ‘bars and a small hydraulic motor on the hub.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope are already prototyping a remote reservoir for road sti. They just need the slave cylinder and they’re laughing. I hope they’re reading this.

andytherocketeer

Must be heavier to have a master cylinder. slave cylinder and a tube full of fluid compared to a cable

German website lists it as 175g lighter than XTR kit. Not entirely sure how they fiddle those figures though.

m_t_b
    Free Member

The link does not work for me can others see it?

MSP

http://www.acros.de/PRODUKTE/SCHALTUNG:::3_134.html

They fiddle the figures by not having a relatively heavy return spring on the mechs, and some rather nice cnc work on everything.

Frankers
    Free Member

Whoops crap link sorry….. TRY AGAIN

RealMan
    Free Member

I like. Except for the two cables per mech (what it looks like).

With a remote dropper, and a remote fork lock out, and two brakes, you’re going to have 8 cables running around the bike. Just with 2×10 and a rear brake you will need 5 cables going down top tube or down tube. Think it would look kinda messy.

Frankers
    Free Member

like. Except for the two cables per mech (what it looks like).

With a remote dropper, and a remote fork lock out, and two brakes, you’re going to have 8 cables running around the bike. Just with 2×10 and a rear brake you will need 5 cables going down top tube or down tube. Think it would look kinda messy.

Internal routing….. job done!! 🙂

Or if they were really clever they could combine all the hoses so you could brake and shift at the same time or the other way round

RealMan
    Free Member

Internal routing….. job done!!

Like the sound of that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

frankers – hydro brakes have significant functional advantages

andy7t2
    Free Member

dont see the advantage been running same cables on my bike for 2 years and never had a problem or needed to adjust more like a solution to a problem that never was

chvck
    Free Member

How easy is it going to be to adjust them in the arse end of nowhere when you smack the mech and bend it on a rock though? At least with cable you can usually have a play and get a few gears working alright.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Actually, as there’s no return spring, if you smack it, you just position the mechs by hand and they will stay there until you move them somewhere else. Much easier than trying to finish an epic with only one gear!

chvck
    Free Member

Hmm, going to have to read more about this then!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love the idea, really want this and I think it’s the way forward. I just don’t have that sort of cash. Couple of hundred quid over XTR components and maybe but at £2k, it’s not happening for me just yet.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

all they have done is buy the german company that already made them, slapped their name on and given it more press, years old this stuff

5roc or something

m_t_b
    Free Member

Good idea but I think electric offers more possibilities and weight savings. Would shat my pants if I came off and had this on my bike… would just make riding my bike too stressful, counter productive

RealMan
    Free Member

Would shat my pants if I came off and had this on my bike… would just make riding my bike too stressful

???

duntmatter
    Free Member

I’m waiting for Bluetooth mechs controlled by a brain-ultrasound device.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Would shat my pants if I came off and had this on my bike… would just make riding my bike too stressful

Sorry that wasn’t very clear… as it is £2000

_tom_
    Free Member

More shit to go wrong, no thanks!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Less shit to go wrong. Yes please.

Junkyard
    Free Member

very bling but very costly would need to come down massively in price as I see very little advantage over a cable tbh unlike brakes which are much better as hydraulic

Frankers
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    frankers – hydro brakes have significant functional advantages

How do you know that hydraulic gears don’t? Do you have any experience of both systems?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cable shifting works perfectly well. What advantage hydraulic gives I cannot see. More complex, finer tolerances needed extra weight

ahwiles
    Free Member

hydraulics are great for transferring lots of force – hydraulic brakes make sense.

i haven’t really thought about hydraulic gears, i guess maybe they’d cope with grit and water and mud a little better than cables, but at what cost? – discuss…

(and i don’t just mean price)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

yep – press the hydro shifter too hard and it’ll push the derailleur right off the bike…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Hydro shifting has already been obsoleted by electronic. Shimano will bring their Di2 electronic shifting technology over to MTBs. Its already being used in cyclocross and appears to be plenty robust enough for off road. Shifting at the press of a button which can be placed anywhere you want, mechs that trim themselves so no need to adjust cables, sequential shifting if you want- none of that can be done with hydraulics.

DrP

I like the idea – no need for 2 cables surely as you could apply positive and negative pressure to the system? As it’s not moving a massive force, the cables are unlikely to collapse…
    Ican see a grip shift type shifter with a ‘screw’ effect on the master cylinder?

DrP

clubber
    Free Member

As above, I think electronic will remove any need for hydro.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Electronic , what happens when the power dies? Hydro will keep going!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

K.I.S.S

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Hydraulic Shifting for MTB’ is closed to new replies.