• This topic has 60 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bails.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • “I was here before YOU!!” (Zebra crossing content)
  • scaredypants

Driving towards road works where a dual carriage way was going down to one lane and literally at the point in which it becomes one lane a woman in a car drives into the side of me – she had been in the lane which was closing, she then berates me calling me a “stupid little boy” – I told her maybe she ought to go to specsavers – I was 39 at the time.

Were you allowing each lane to merge alternately, like adults, or was one of you being an arse/ stupid little boy about it

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I was driving down a country road and someone coming the other way stopped wound down the window and said
    “are you going that way because you want to? ”

theotherjonv

on a bike coming up to a bit where there’s a central crossing refuge, I move out to primary (after a lifesaver and in plenty of time) to dissuade overtaking. The van behind doesn’t make any attempt to moderate his speed right until he’s all lights and horn about a foot off my rear tyre. I may have thrown a hand up as if to say WTF, but this enrages him more and he overtakes and pulls over just up the road. (At this point my manoeuvre has probably cost him about 3s but as noted before, that’s as nothing when there’s chance to waste a good 2 minutes shouting at a cyclist instead)

His rationale was that if I’d stayed close to the kerb ‘I COULD HAVE F***IN SQUEEZED THROUGH THAT F***IN GAP’ In 2.5T of 50mph metal.

I didn’t see that logic was going to win against that sort of reasoning……

spooky_b329

I was riding for the 2nd exit of a large roundabout that was the perfect width for a car and bike to ride safely side by side but too wide to try and ‘take the lane’. A car overtook me and then started to leave at the first exit. I was by his rear door and my mate ahead was level with his front wing. I shouted and then realising he was going to just push me out of the way and run over my mate I booted the rear door of the car which had the desired effect of him slamming on the brakes and jumping out. A short screaming match commenced where he told us that we should be indicating (to go straight ahead) which meant he was entitled to force his way through or over us. At the point I kicked his car he was fully intending to drive over the back of the bike ahead, in hindsight we should have probably called the police. I left the scene calling my buddy to follow before it got physical, but the saddest thing was the rest of the group were waiting ahead and it didn’t help the nerves of someone doing their first road ride. I also noted that on that 100 mile ride the roundabout incident resulted in a higher heart rate than all the big climbs!

https://goo.gl/maps/cik5swNX8kEL1MTq9

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I love the ones who sit at a junction, watch you approaching then pull out ever-so-slowly so they will definitely hit you, while still watching you ride towards the driver’s door. That’s real nice that is. Love a twitchy-bum moment. Best way to start a day. Said no-one ever.

dudeofdoom

Something about they’re being a system for the airline, I asked in the garage about the system but they didn’t know either. They did mention there’s a guy goes around shouting randomly at people while his wife looks on apologising for him.

Got one of these near work but he randomly shouts ‘stop thief’ a lot.

Sui
    Free Member

No one seems to have actually answered this yet, but anyway. Rule 192 in the Highway Code states you, should leave a crossing clear in queuing traffic. So whilst Mr Taxi man was being a nob , there are no legal requirement wording in the HC that rendered nob heads actions to be an offence so technically not in the wrong.

Also common misconception, the “Highway Code”is legally binding when the phrase includes “Must/Must NOT”, disobeying the rules in this instances will get you fined and points on license.

edited for shocking spelling

amedias
    Free Member

“look where you’re **** going next time”

Shouted from the window of a car as he overtook me, his comment being because I had pulled out to ride around a very large pothole (I’m sure there was lava in the bottom it was that big).

I was perplexed as surely by pulling out to not ride through the hole I was demonstrating that I had been looking where I was going, if I hadn’t I’d have plunged head first to my fiery death.

On the other hand if he had been looking where he was going he would have seen the cyclist in front of him, and maybe the impending pothole too if he’d been properly observant, and given adequate room when overtaking instead of squeezing past.

I’m not ashamed to say I had a smirk on my face when he then had to slam on the brakes to avoid going into the back of the queue of traffic he’d not noticed due to berating me.

amedias
    Free Member

I love the ones who sit at a junction, watch you approaching then pull out ever-so-slowly so they will definitely hit you, while still watching you ride towards the driver’s door.

We need to go oldschool and carry a big pointy lance, might make them rethink the merits of that approach to pulling out.

taxi25
    Free Member

No one seems to have actually answered this yet, but anyway. Rule 192 in the Highway Code states you, should leave a crossing clear in queuing traffic. So whilst Mr Taxi man was being a nob , there are no legal requirement 

I was, if you drive in traffic enough you’ll end up over a crossing sooner or later. But you know STW it’s completely black and white for some posters 😂. Driver was a Knob though, I just sit there looking embarrassed 😳😳

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Were you allowing each lane to merge alternately, like adults, or was one of you being an arse/ stupid little boy about it

Bingo. thanks for playing judgement bingo 🤦‍♂️

tjagain

I love the ones who sit at a junction, watch you approaching then pull out ever-so-slowly so they will definitely hit you, while still watching you ride towards the driver’s door.

I have been known to scream at them while either pulling a stoppie or a big skid so I looks like I am about to go thru the drivers window. Nice to see them shit themselves

IdleJon

Lately, on two occasions, I’ve seen cars in the outside lane approaching a closed lane swerve into the middle lane just before hitting the cones.

There was nothing in the two lanes inside them at the time.

I’ve also had someone almost hit my rear bumper because they tried to overtake me as the cones started.

Merge alternately? Those drivers can’t spell ‘alternately’ never mind do it.

martinhutch

I was, if you drive in traffic enough you’ll end up over a crossing sooner or later. But you know STW it’s completely black and white for some posters

Tends to be. That’s how you know it’s a crossing. 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Sometimes it’d be nice to have a gun, have a little purge.

When I inevitably assume my rightful place in a position of ultimate power over the country (at least), I’ll make it illegal for cyclists and pedestrians not to be armed. I reckon the driving would improve dramatically, even if you filled them with blanks and just didn’t tell anyone.

amedias
    Free Member

if you drive in traffic enough you’ll end up over a crossing sooner or later.

Only if you’re not paying attention, or don’t give a shit. How hard is this concept?

“don’t go forward until there’s space for your vehicle on the other side”

Same with yellow boxes, it’s not hard to do it right.

darthpunk
    Free Member

This was a few years ago, which will become evident towards the end.

Waiting to turn into a car park but there was someone reversing out of a space next to the entrance, road i’m on goes round the back of the parade of shops. Woman behind me in a mini, on a mobile, peeping the horn and gesturing wildly.

I pull into the carpark and get out, she comes stomping round the corner. I said “y’alright?” she starts shouting at me, telling me I should have moved and resorted to calling me “fatty” – hilarious from a woman in her fifties to be using the word “fatty”. I point out that it’s an offence to drive while using her mobile, she points out that it was an important call and for my information, her mum had just died…….then she stomped off into the Video rental shop.

I advised her to watch Caddyshack if she needed cheering up, then used a swear.

I honestly believe you should be able to use the “a**ehole” defense and be allowed to kick off their wing mirrors in these situations

oldnpastit

Any sensible country would encourage people out of cars and onto bikes.

I was recently on holiday in Seville. The cycling network there is incredible.

In the centre of the city, the thing you hear is the nurnur of people talking, rather than the noise of cars driving past. It’s incredible, a real pleasure.

Freester

A bit of a similar one to the OP. Except I was the one driving the car. In Tescos car park. Hands up! Mea Culpa! I was concentrating too hard on the car in front, following the queue of traffic to get out I inadvertently ended up stopping over a raised pedestrian crossing in the car park.

Cue some old fella and his Mrs with their trolley who I’d stopped from crossing (they could have gone in front or back). Banging on my car windows, gesticulating. I wound the window down. Asked what the problem was. Cue a barrage of abuse. I managed to keep my cool, admitted my mistake, apologised for inadvertently holding them up for a couple of seconds cue another barrage of abuse. I just pointed out to them life was a bit too short to get wound up like this about the little things and wound the window back up.

I did begin to get a bit angry as Freester JR was probably 2 years old and a bit frightened by it all.

Cougar

Tends to be. That’s how you know it’s a crossing. 🙂

Well played. *polite applause*

bails

I’ve had a woman in an Evoque close pass me with a phone in her hand. She stopped at lights just up the road and as I filtered past I said “put the phone down”. She started screaming back that it was on bluetooth so it was okay, even though it was in her hand while she typed out a text/email.

Another driver who literally barged me off the road and onto a grass verge with the side of her Qashqai because she’d got halfway through an overtake then realised that she wanted to turn left at the rapidly approaching T-junction. “I’ve got as much right to the road as you, y’know” she told me.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘“I was here before YOU!!” (Zebra crossing content)’ is closed to new replies.