Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • I want to make a big piece of concrete to secure my bike to…advice pls
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a ground anchor kit but instead of ground, I’ll be bolting it to as big a chunk of concrete I can manage. I was thinking of mixing and allowing to set in a 13 litre galvanised bucket. This would create a 30kg weight. I will then drill into the concrete and fit the ground anchor with 2x Rawl bolts. I’ll then chain two bikes to the concrete and hopefully have an undesirably awkward lump in the eyes of scumbag thieves. Also I’ve got a good shed with security hinges, bolt + good padlock and a wireless PIR that will trigger the main house alarm.

Any advice on the concrete bit would be appreciated.

scotroutes

Why let it set and then drill? Can you not just embed a loop of metal into the concrete (suspend it half in until it sets)?

wors

Just put the ground anchor in the bucket of concrete and let it set.

wwaswas

bit late but just putting an old U lock in the wet concrete so the loop sticks out would be a good solution.

gregcousin76
    Free Member

It maybe a pain but I’m sure if they want it that much they will take the concrete too.where as bolting it to a concrete floor that would be pretty hard to carry

dashed
    Free Member

Lift couple of floorboards in shed, dig big hole, fill with concrete? You could even shutter to bring it up to the floor level of the shed and then trim the floorboards around it…

bencooper
    Free Member

They’ll just bring a sack trolley and wheel it away 😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

there are specific ground anchors for setting in concrete. Like this here.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Buy a length of good high grade steel chain, embed half in the wet concrete.

Might reduce the issues of having a lump of concrete with a big steel bar or hoop sticking out of it and you bashing your frame/elbow/cat off of it.

But serously you weren’t really going to “drill” into the set concrete were you?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Why let it set and then drill? Can you not just embed a loop of metal into the concrete (suspend it half in until it sets)?

OMG – I am so embarrassed…

theflatboy
    Free Member

I need to do something like this too. Good thinking (apart from the setting then drilling bit)!

rs
    Free Member

best concrete mix for bike anchor in a bucket?

sharkbait
    Free Member

3:2:1 (sand:cement:gravel)

or just go and buy a bag of premixed ‘just add water’ from a DIY store.

edward2000
    Free Member

Be aware, if they cant grab your bike they may try and dismantle your bike, taking all your parts instead! Happened to me. Twice. They ruined the alarm too so it never went off.

Bikes should be kept in the house IMO

chief9000
    Free Member

Why not make it even more difficult for them to take the concrete block away by embedding a load of broken glass into it too 🙂

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Get an old car tyre from ATS or somewhere.
    Get some old wire fence netting.
    Get some bricks and or pebbles, and cement

Tip the tyre on its end. Stuff the wire in so it ‘fills’ the whole tyre.
    Fill the bottom of the tyre with bricks/stones. Fill the spaces with concrete.
    When it dries, rotate it slightly and repeat the stones/concrete thing.
    Repeat until the whole tyre is stuffed with reinforced concrete.
    Wrap in polythene to keep everything clean. Finish with Duck tape.

Voila, hight security Polo mint. Around 60kg for a fairly small tyre. You can roll it round to move it but once a bike is locked to it you can’t move it.
    There is no small section for a thief to bolt crop.
    The rubber protects the concrete from hammer attacks.

etc

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s never ideal to keep thousands of pounds of bike in a couple of hundred quids worth of shed. Maybe a shed upgrade to something more secure in the first pace is what’s needed? Thieving eejits simply dismantled half my shed after I fortified it after it was broken into. They just removed nails and took away half a wall. Did it while I was in too so must have been quick and quiet. So I ended up with a trashed shed and a nicked bike, though the bike wasn’t expensive.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve done this. It’s a great solution in my opinion.
    I’ve got a bucket with two loops in – it’s about 60-70kg.

I used the ready-mix stuff for fence posts. it’s a lot easier to get to an even consistency for putting in a small space like a bucket. the normal ready-mix stuff has big lumps of stone in and it’s really hard and messy to get it even for a small space.

it will be difficult to use the ground anchor as you need to sink it in deep enough so it can’t be pulled out whilst leaving enough outside the concrete to get a chain/ lock through.

EDIT – loving the tyre idea.

T1000
    Free Member

Mate used an old landrover engine block with a chain through the middle bore

pacerc200
    Free Member

Bury some wire fencing into the concrete to give it some reinforcement.
    The tyre idea is a great one

mk1fan
    Free Member

Wish this had been posted earlier. Just has to change a tyre as I’d ripped a hole in the side of it. Could have kept the tyre and made a nice anchor.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I went for a ground anchor in a hole full of concrete after giving up on trying to get my mother in-law to have her nose pierced.

B&Q was pretty good for all I needed.

Northwind

Old u-lock works well for your anchor. Agree with wire mesh or similiar for reinforcement, poured concrete isn’t the most impact resistant.

Tyre approach is clever, I like it.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Buy a big Barky dog

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Watch Home Alone!!

crikey
    Free Member

If I were a thief, I’d just cut your frame.

Until people stop leaving £2000 bikes in sheds, the problem won’t go away, and all this super security is a waste of time.

tobymc

Old calor gas bottle (empty!). Take reg union off, fill to brim with water, drain. Angle grind a hole in the base, cut 2 holes in the cylindrical section, feed suitable length of hefty chain through the holes and bung up the hole in the top. Turn upside down, fill with concrete. If you were clever, you’d have joined the chain together inside the cylinder already – which is what I’ll do next time.

stratman
    Free Member

I went for a ground anchor in a hole full of concrete after giving up on trying to get my mother in-law to have her nose pierced.

Good to see some retro 70s humour – like it!

Basil

Shed wise we bought sheets of concrete re-bar(about a six inch grid).
    Found this very easy to cut to size and lined the inside walls and roof of the shed. Fixed it all together.
    And yes last time they took the roof of our shed and dis-mantaled the bikes

yetidave
    Free Member

If I were a thief, I’d just cut your frame

Did you nick my motorbike? Cause that’s how they nicked it. Big chain round seat, back wheel and house.

taxi25
    Free Member

Had two bikes stolen from my shed. Not my best bikes but good enough. They just cut through the frames !!!

brakes
    Free Member

If I were a thief, I’d just cut your frame.

If you were a thief, I’d cut your bollocks off and put them on eBay 😀

stevestunts
    Free Member

^^^^

And I’d buy them, stamp them into a pulp, and then sew them back into your ballbag.

(The thief’s ballbag, not yours, Brakes)

seadog101

Stand a plastic pipe in the bucket, fill with the concrete mix. Gives you a block with a hole through it. Also stuff galvanised chicken wire in the bucket too, helps to stop it being smashed apart.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I’d like a big piece of concrete to drop on the head of the scum that stole my bike 3 weeks ago.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Big plastic tub box thing from b&q, cut hole to match in shed floor. Fill with concrete and wire mesh. One of those ground anchors that sits flush with concrete like a tunnel. Once set, cut off tub handles. 100kg plus bikes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, bolt cutters or saw would sort out most of that and leave you with a bucket of concrete you can’t get rid of.
    By all means carry on but if they sort your alarm and get in there they will leave with stuff.
    Make sure your insurance covers you.

theflatboy
    Free Member

These look like a good option, buried in shed floor:

With chain as well. As above, some judicious sawing is going to reduce the expensive bike to a collection of portable bits, but at least this is a first obstacle.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Speaking of the above – what chains are people using to go through frames/wheels?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘I want to make a big piece of concrete to secure my bike to…advice pls’ is closed to new replies.