Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • I thought Sealskinz waterproof gloves were meant to be waterproof?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I recently bought some Sealskins All Weather gloves that claim to be totally waterproof. 30 mins of fairly heavy rain and I don’t think I have ever had colder and wetter hands. I couldn’t move my fingers and could barely hold the bars, brake or change gear. I was in the middle of nowhere about 30 miles into a 65 mile road ride and it got unpleasant very quickly.
    I wont be using them in the rain again. I think ill stick with gloves that get wet but stay warm next time. Even my £5 Aldi specials have coped better in worse weather.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Maybe a faulty pair?
    or maybe running down your arms and into the top?
    Mine certainly seem to work ok

km79
    Free Member

I’ve had two pairs of the so called waterproof ultra grip gloves. Both let in water within minutes. I like their socks but these gloves were useless.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Not waterproof but really warm and great in cold wet
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/gloves/product/review-endura-fs260-pro-nemo-glove-12-46159/

Last weekend BPW and Afan they were awesome. They dry very quickly on the bike too.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I personally think its impossible for socks or gloves to be completely waterproof and your better with something that keeps you warm when wet.I used the sealskin socks once and gave them away as my feet had never been colder.It was an icy day , cold water got in and was trapped resulting in painful cold feet .

aP
    Free Member

Rry using a very think liner glove with them, when I used to use Porelle socks they were awful just on their own, but comfy with a liner.

retro83
    Free Member

mr potatohead – Member
    I personally think its impossible for socks or gloves to be completely waterproof and your better with something that keeps you warm when wet.I used the sealskin socks once and gave them away as my feet had never been colder.It was an icy day , cold water got in and was trapped resulting in painful cold feet .

Always good when you have to stop the ride to allow everyone to tip the water out of their socks 😆

stumpy01

I’ve got a pair of Sealskinz gloves – seem to work OK, but it’s really hard to take them off without pulling them inside out, so I tend to avoid them unless I really have to….

I do find they get a bit clammy inside, but I think that’s because the sweat can’t get out…..

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The problem with all “waterproof” gloves and socks is the big hole where you stick your hand/foot.

ransos
    Free Member

My pair of Sealskinz gloves have the waterproofing qualities of a damp sponge.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had two pairs of the so called waterproof ultra grip gloves. Both let in water within minutes.

I’ve got a pair and they are the best cycling gloves I’ve owned, keeping my hands dry on a six-hour ride in the Lakes.

I like how the tight cuffs extend a good way under my jacket sleeves, to prevent water getting in.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

retro83 I did have to stop and tip the water out , my feet were blue, as was my language, much to the amusement of my chums as I’m generally someone who doesn’t feel the cold so much

sofaboy73
    Free Member

its as much to do with the sweat not getting out as the rain getting in I’ve found with sealskinz gloves – really not very breathable on the couple of pairs I’ve tried. as other have said, I find gloves that keep your hands warm when wet far better, currently use some altura neoprene ones, you get very sweaty hands and they are nothing more than showerproof, but you hands don’t get cold until below zero

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve been more impressed with Aldi’s £7.99 “waterproof” gloves than my Sealskinz. Neither are completely impermeable to water, but the Aldi ones tend to keep me more comfortable when they do wet-out.

retro83
    Free Member

mr potatohead – Member
    retro83 I did have to stop and tip the water out , my feet were blue, as was my language, much to the amusement of my chums as I’m generally someone who doesn’t feel the cold so much

In our group the only person who didn’t have to tip the water out was the chap with home made sealskinz consisting of normal socks with a sainsburys bag inside which was sealed to the leg with parcel tape.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I just wear wooly socks and liners now- as others have said wet but warm

nach
    Free Member

km79 – Member
    I’ve had two pairs of the so called waterproof ultra grip gloves. Both let in water within minutes. I like their socks but these gloves were useless.

Same experience here. Having a big spongy later of water-permeable fabric on top of the actual waterproof bit means the top layer soaks through then the windchill makes them freezing. After an awful twenty mile commute in the rain, I lost one of them running for a train and just thought “Probably for the best”.

Northwind

Ecky-Thump – Member

The problem with all “waterproof” gloves and socks is the big hole where you stick your hand/foot.

Gloves are easy for this, you just put the cuff inside your jacket. I could genuinely spend a day out in torrential rain and the only way my hands are getting wet is either from sweat, or when I take a glove off. Perfect Curves inside bombproof waterproof jacket. Totally impractical unless it’s cold, though.

Neoprene’s the warm and dry way. Don’t get the Endura ones, they’re supposed to be waterproof but all the seams leak like sieves.

philjunior
    Free Member

No experience of these gloves, but as others have said you need jacket sleeves to extend over the gloves, and sweat/condensation from the jacket can trickle down into gloves in any case.

Also a liner can keep your hands actually warm.

monkeyboyjc

The ultragrip gloves definitely are not waterproof, find for going out for a walk with the dog or on the bike on a dry day. But if it’s raining don’t bother….

andysredmini
    Free Member

The gloves were tucked in to my coat. I have thumb loops on my soft shell that I pull the gloves over then the coat goes on and the sleeves get tightened over the gloves.
    I wouldn’t mind but sealskinz are always making bold claims about the waterproofness of their products but in reality non of it ever seems to live up to the hype.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I would rather spend my money on mountaineering gloves for winter riding.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’m sure this won’t work for everybody but I don’t suffer from cold hands or feet as much as most but I wear short finger gloves all year round . My fingers and particularly thumbs get cold for a few minutes but once my circulation gets going they become warm . If it’s raining the water just runs off my my skin rather than being held next to it by a wet glove which is what makes your hands cold .

jameso

I used the sealskin socks once and gave them away as my feet had never been colder.It was an icy day , cold water got in and was trapped resulting in painful cold feet .

Yet sailing wetsuits work on a similar basis and keep you relatively warm in cold water – trapped water can be an issue in socks if it doesn’t warm up but overall insulation is still the thing that keeps you warm and a single pair of socks won’t do that unless you have really warm boots.

I go for ‘warm when wet’ kit generally – waterproof is a great concept but in reality all it does is slow down the rate of getting wet. You still need insulation.

edit to add, I have some seal skins socks, they’re great, especially over a thin wool sock and usually with winter boots or shoe covers. My old ones have worn a hole in the heel and they still keep me warmer overall in the wet than a normal sock.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Ive been wearing Ron Thompson Crosswater neoprene fishing gloves from go-outdoors last winter and this winter, warm and more waterproof than any biking gloves Ive ever had,thumb and a couple of finger tips peel back also for any small faffing to be done 🙂 £10 last year think there about £12 this year, just waiting on black ones to come back into stock for another pair.

Northwind

Oh yeah, @mrpotatohead If it was the sealskinz mtb socks you were cold in, maybe you should have read the description?

“A performance thin weight, waterproof mid-length sock designed specifically for MTB for conditions where minimal insulation and maximum breathability are required.”

It’s a thin waterproof shell. They sell insulated socks, and they sell insulating liners for the thin socks.

crosshair
    Free Member

I love their shooting gloves. Just got given another pair for my birthday.

So I wear them cycling too 😀

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Yes mine are quite rubbish too. Sweaty in the dry and wet in the rain.

Wish I’d never bought them.

downshep

Sealskin ultragrips here. Soak through quite easily then hold cold water to freeze your fingers. Wore them on a wet 12 hour Audax and wanted to cry with the pain.

Next gloves will be Decathlon neoprene divers gloves when they get my size back in. Warm when wet, cheap and grippy.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Gloves are easy for this, you just put the cuff inside your jacket.

Oh Northwind, if only that were possible. That would be heaven. I’d be absolutely ecstatic if I could find a jacket with arms long enough to reach the tops of my gloves. (Gibbon arms here)

Northwind

In that case I recommend my premium arm reduction service.

But it’s a fair point, I hadn’t considered how tricky some folks will find it to get proper fitting kit. I’m blaming the jacket not the gloves mind.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Anything with a hydrostatic head of over 1000mm is classed as waterproof. Im guessing the action/pressure of walking or gripping the bars exceeds the hydrostatic head, whatever that may be, I dont think sealskins publish it.

Another possibility is the taping has failed.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the ultra grip sealsins are paricularly rubbish.

tjagain

I have never had a pair of gloves that were waterproof for either motorbike or bicycle except Rukka overgloves despite buying many so called waterproof pairs. I think the main issue is the seams get stretched thus breaking the waterproofing

aldi winter gloves are the best I have tried as they are reasonably waterproof when new and retain heat once soaked thru without being absurdly bulky

Waderider
    Free Member

Buy kit that is warm when wet folks. If waterproof kit keeps you dry during your cycle, the cycle wasn’t long enough.

Waterproof gloves fill with water. Take longer to dry out. Don’t be scared of weather or the outdoors.

Spin
    Free Member

Don’t be scared of weather or the outdoors.

Says the man who never came on our last bothy trip coz there was a wee bit of rain forecast. 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

*Wonders who the **** spin is*

I was up to my eyeballs in the workshop doing diy, okay?! I’ll never miss another bothy trip again,I promise.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The Aldi gloves keep your hands warm but they are sweaty. Once sweaty/wet the lining yanks out when you take them off and is bastard to get back in. The palm padding is verging on too thick with the inner and outer squirming around when gripping the bars.

They are worth the money but are not great MTB gloves by any means.

zero-cool
    Free Member

The main problem with waterproof gloves is that no matter what you make them from they’re always going to have a massive hole at one end to let your hands in.

I’ve always gone for warm gloves over waterproof – currently using a pair of Madison gloves which cost about £15 and are ‘water resistant’, comfy and warm (neoprene like material) so even when your hands get wet they stay warm.

The professional climber Andy Kirkpatrick (no relation) has a good piece about gloves on his blog Psychovertical.

Tom KP

Spin
    Free Member

Wonders who the **** spin is

It’s Dave.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘I thought Sealskinz waterproof gloves were meant to be waterproof?’ is closed to new replies.