• This topic has 53 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • I think I’ve been sacked and I’m not sure of the legality of it.
  • Murray

https://unpaidbritain.org/guide-to-claiming-unpaid-wages/

1) Contact employer in writing asking for wages – email + first class post. As they’re overdue, ask for payment within 14 days.
    2) After 14 days contact ACAS.
    3) When your employer ignores that go straight to small claims at county court.

Don’t get wound up, don’t waste a thought on your former employer. Just treat it as 3 letters to get n pounds.

And join a union when you start your next job regardless of grade or whether they’re recognised.

ampthill

Is small claims court applicable?

andyrm
    Free Member

tbh, best option is probably just to turn up to the office, and ask for wages, in a civil manner, infront of the other staff members, make sure they know he’s be a tit.

Hopefully they’ll all start thinking about leaving too.

Do that, and send a letter threatening legal action.

^^^ This. But you MUST keep it civil, assertive but polite and totally emotionless. You want to ensure ex colleagues see, but not give the bosses any excuse to tar you as a “nutter”, “emotional” or anything else to colleagues or worse, the old bill.

Make it very clear to them that they owe you your money, they need to pay it there and then in your presence or not only will you go legal, you’ll contact local media, start posting to their social channels and also start getting in touch with key clients to let them know. That should get their attention.

munrobiker
    Free Member

A bit of an update on this – Citizen’s Advice said they were in the wrong not paying me to the end of my notice period and suggested I write a letter demanding the payment within 7 days, after which I’d refer the matter to ACAS and, if necessary, take it to a tribunal.

They didn’t meet the deadline, which was last Thursday, so I have opened a case with ACAS but nothing has happened with it yet as I’ve not spoken to one of their conciliators.

I got a letter yesterday saying that they’d pay me for three days (about £250 after tax). However, they’ve also taken £140 off me for membership of a professional body they’d paid for. As far as I can tell, because the contract between us was terminated when they sacked me, they have no contractual right to withhold this money. Can anyone confirm that?

Regardless of whether or not they’re allowed to or not, should I cut it and run with the £250 and write off the £140? I’m tempted – it’d save the hassle of conciliation and a tribunal.

weeksy

TBH mate, it’s a few quid… forget it and move on.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Regardless of whether or not they’re allowed to or not, should I cut it and run with the £250 and write off the £140? I’m tempted – it’d save the hassle of conciliation and a tribunal.

For £140 it’s not worth the grief.

I’d just make sure that anyone else in the industry that you ‘re talking to knows what they’re like if you’re ever asked.

I’d take a degree of satisfaction if I knew that that £140 had cost them dearly in terms of future work or difficulty in recruitment down the line.

tjagain

I would go for the 140 as unless stated in the contract they have no right to deduct it but you have to ask yourself if it’s worth it

scotroutes

How much is your time worth? How many hours af additional effort is it going to take you with CB, ACAS and a tribunal?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Thought you were talking about more money than this.. take the 250 and move on.

FB-ATB

Maybe time for a subject access request under GDPR.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d hold on for ACAS advice, I thought the case was cut and dried? Don’t let the ****s win.

Your contract may say something about the £140.

nixie

Did they pay you for April in the end? Your last post on that suggested not in which case don’t they owe you way more than 3 days pay?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Nixie – sorry, I missed a bit out there. I did, eventually, get paid my salary but it didn’t include the last three days of my notice period and they’d taken some money out for my professional body membership.

Just re-read my contract and it says nothing at all about deductions from final pay except for holiday pay.

TiRed

They really hate you don’t they 😉 . We are allowed one professional membership paid annually. Nothing about recovering it on termination. I’d take it further, just for the fun of it. Your next company will done out on the stories!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I think I’ve been sacked and I’m not sure of the legality of it.’ is closed to new replies.