Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I think I need an accountant
  • thered

Anybody on here know anything about working self employed, being paid in euro’s and VAT implications?

It appears that I will have significantly more ‘Input Tax’ than ‘Output Tax’.

fossy

Are you bringing in over £85k ?

thered

No but that’s not the only reason to VAT register

chevychase

If you’re going to be buying a lot of stuff “on the company” then potentially that’s worth the VAT wheeze, but if you’re not then it’s not worth it.

fossy

Turnover for your business over £85k – if not, can you be more specific. Accountant here but at a Business Partner role these days..

frankconway

Not enough information.
    Are you based in UK?
    Are you VAT registered? It would appear not?
    Ltd Co or sole trader?
    Do you invoice in £ or €?
    Are your input and output VAT charges at same rate and are reduced rates applicable in full or in part?
    Are you trading in one EU country only as VAT rates vary by country.
    Why is your input value going to ‘significantly’ exceed your output VAT? Are there one off/set-up costs which would explain this as they might be covered by investment allowances or other allowable deductions when you submit accounts.
    Be mindful that UK VAT returns must be submitted online using one of the HMRC recommended packages; the DIY ones are clunky.
    I would suggest that, as a minimum, you talk with an accountant – not a book-keeper – to get some understanding so you can then take an informed decision.
    Yes, an accountant will want to sign you up so be aware of that.

thered

UK based
    Not VAT registered
    Sole Trader
    I will buy in Euro and will therefore pay VAT iiuc, will then sell in GBP. I’m led to believe that if I can’t claim the VAT back then what I sell will be expensive.
    Only trading in the UK
    I will be spending alot that will include VAT but will be selling very little that includes VAT.

thered

@fossy I can be more specific, what specifics do you need?

nickjb
    Free Member

I will buy in Euro and will therefore pay VAT iiuc, will then sell in GBP. I’m led to believe that if I can’t claim the VAT back then what I sell will be expensive.

That’s nothing to do with buying in euros, just the nature of not being vat registered. If you buy in the UK in pounds you’ll still pay vat then not add vat when you sell. You just need to price jobs accordingly.

That’s how part of my business works. I buy stuff, do some work on it then sell it on. I’ll charge what the materials cost me (including vat) plus something for my time and a little extra for contingency.

thered

@nickjb That’s why I think I might benefit from being VAT registered

dashed
    Free Member

If you register for VAT then you can claim VAT back but you also have to charge it on anything you sell.

I’m voluntarily VAT registered as I supply some zero rated products so it means I can reclaim VAT on my consumables (packaging etc) but I don’t pay 20% VAT on items I then sell at zero rated – which sounds like what you’re trying to achieve?

thered

@dashed Bang on, I still think I need an accountant though, any on here?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.