Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I phone battery help please
  • slightreturn
    Free Member

Hey. I’ve been looking at a new I phone, an iPhone 8, or an X.
    It seems all the ones either on eBay or other online sellers are selling handsets with around 83% battery health or lower.Is this something to be concerned about, as I don’t want to be charging it up every two mins. I presume they are over a year old with that amount of battery loss

Thanks

If any users on here are looking to sell one please get in touch.

CountZero

Seems a lot for such relatively recent handsets – my old 6+ was showing signs of the battery struggling, down to 70-75%, but it’s a five year old phone.

slightreturn
    Free Member

Count zero. That’s my thoughts. It’s a mine field buying a used phone. But the brand new ones are just silly prices

Rockhopper
    Free Member

New batteries are not stupidly expensive at the Genius Bar. Think mine was £45 and at least you are sure to get a genuine Apple one.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

I got a new battery for my 8 so my wife could use it, made it like new. £45 and 1hr at Apple store, sorted!

However i would be careful and choose a model with a bigger battery, my 8 wasn’t great for battery unlike the earlier ones and my XR is noticeably better.

tenfoot

My 8’s battery is down to 87% at 2 years old.
    Obviously if I don’t use it much, the battery will last all day, but on a regular day, I’m finding I need to charge it during the day to last until I go to bed around 11 ish.

On the battery health widget, the phone is recommending I take it into an Apple dealer for a new battery but I think I’ll soldier on for a bit.

oreetmon
    Free Member

£20 eBay battery for my iphone5 12mnths ago. Changed it myself with no problems.

I will buy and iphone6 next year if it dies.

tomhoward

Didn’t know you could check these things. My X is at 88%. It’s just over 2 years old, battery lasts a full day with pretty well constant use (I’ve been off work for 8 out of the last 9 months…) 83% wouldn’t bother me.

paladin

Don’t know if the percentage means a lot. My SE (new battery a year ago) says maximum battery is 93%, but if I happen to be anywhere cool when it’s at 50%, it’ll shutdown on low battery.

dove1

My 8+ is 27 months old and the battery is showing 87% maximum capacity. It is on all day every day and used for e-mail, web browsing, social media and playing music and the battery easily lasts a day.
    For the money you are saving by getting a second hand phone I wouldn’t worry about it. When/if the battery capacity gets really low then just get it changed at Apple for £45. You’ll still be quids in.

rossburton
    Free Member

I will buy and iphone6 next year if it dies.

Get a 6S at least, the chances of it lasting longer are a lot higher.

slightreturn
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the advice, all who have commented. Cheers

tdog
    Free Member

Just pm’ed you op with info on my iphone for sale 👍😎

piemonster

@paladin

My SE was doing the same, a factory reset with a reinstall from a Cloud back up sorted it. (I didn’t re load the photos)

If you go into you battery health status in settings it might tell you it’s in a “mode” designed to protect your phone from unexpected shut downs. Which seems to involve shutting your phone down.

I’m just back from skiing where it was working as a GPS tracker all day in cold weather plus a bunch of photos/web browsing.

doomanic

83% on a 7 and it wouldn’t last a day whilst at work and only using it at break times.

£49 for a new battery from the Apple store was money well spent.

paladin

@piemonster

Thanks for the info, I’m trying that out now 👌

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I phone battery help please’ is closed to new replies.