Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I need some new rims
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Ive got some Hope Hoops, Pro 4 hubs on Hopes heavy, narrow rims (whatever they’re called) and I would like to swap the rims out for something wider and lighter however I don’t know where to start. Ive looked at the new Stans Flow mk3 which seem ok but I don’t know what I should be comparing them against. Budget is probably about £150 for both rims. I will put them on my winter hardtail and id use them for trail/endure rides.

Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks in advance

stevied
    Free Member

DT Swiss EX471 (25mm) or EX511 (30mm) or XM481’s if you’re light/easy on rims.

tomhoward

WTB KOM, in the width that suits.

joebristol

DR XM481’s are pretty sturdy for the weight – I’ve smashed my enduro bike round the blacks at CYB / down Snowdon / through uplifts days at Antur / BPW / Flyup 417 with no dramas at all.

If you want stronger than EX511 / EX471’s are pretty bullet proof.

oikeith

I found my Stans Flow mk3 to be made of cheese

duncancallum

Ex511s

Bullet proof

nuke

I’d previously have said Stans having had crest & flow for years but these days DT Swiss rims would be my choice

SirHC

XM481, must have closed to 500,000ft on a set now and they are still running reasonably straight, no flat spots or dings, plenty of scrape marks and scratches.

dmorts

I’m considering similar, XM481 vs EX511. They’re about the same price and the EX511 is slightly heavier, but stronger. Seems that going for the EX511 is the better option as it’s a stronger rim? All the XM481 offers is a couple of £ saving and about 40g a rim lighter?

jamiemcf

I’ve 2 ex471s and they’re bullet proof. I swapped the front for a 511 and it’s equally bulletproof

SirHC

@dmorts
    Depends how heavy you are on wheels?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

481 front, 511 rear would be my choice..

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re looking to re-use the spokes, the E13 TRS rim has a close enough ERD for that to work.

They are excellent rims if you’re able to track any down. 30mm internal, not too heavy and have been very durable for me.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

WTB KOMs may be wide and light, but they also dent if you break wind in the same room. Personally would avoid.

DTs seem to be the go-to at the moment – plenty of width and strength options as above.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I need some new rims’ is closed to new replies.