• This topic has 67 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • I miss the old days of the STW classifieds jumble sale
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

As I’ve always said I prefer the new version, actually having pictures to see what you’re considering is a huge bonus.

It’s the implementation that seems to be problematic, permanent sold ads, janky uploads and no PM or forum crosslink make for a reduced experience. But that’s not really exclusive to the new classifieds, sold items were never cleared from the old board which was, in all honesty, a bloody mess. If you wanted to sell something obscure then as soon as it was off the first page it was game over, at least now its sectioned and you have half a chance!

chakaping
    Free Member

I preferred the old Status Quo.

You could buy Whatever You Want.

*Doffs cap*

Drac

It’s the implementation that seems to be problematic, permanent sold ads, janky uploads and no PM or forum crosslink make for a reduced experience.

Those are being looked into being fixed.

daveylad
    Free Member

Not that I use it, but I remember when it changed. It was brilliant initially for a few days, pictures and other such witchcraft.
    Then it was purposely crippled by requiring blockad (I think it’s called) to be disabled or your saw no results.
    Turn off blockad? Yeah, nah mate, you’ve seen the state of the internet when not using this?

Drac

Turn off blockad? Yeah, nah mate, you’ve seen the state of the internet when not using this?

Singletrackworld is an ad supported website. As a non-premier, registered user you are accepting that the displaying of ads in your browser is the cost of being a registered user and you agree that you will not block these ads. If you block the ads we reserve the right to suspend your account and/or block our content from displaying in your browser. In addition you agree not to promote the use of ad blocking on our site in either story comments or forum posts.

The ads in a very real sense do allow you to use this site without having to hand over cash for the content. If the ads were not there earning us money for the time we spend keeping this site running and filling it with content then we simply would not bother with a website at all or we would severely strip it back to just being a promotion site for the mag. It simply would not be economically viable without the ads there.

ransos
    Free Member

^We all get that ads pay for the site, but they do seem to be far more intrusive here than any other site I use.

tjagain

Guys – don’t start this one again. The ads are to monetise the forum to support the rest of single track. Like it or not thats the way it is.

damascus
    Free Member

How about a compromise?

Each category has a default picture that’s used if you dont upload your own?

That way the jumble sale fans are happy they don’t have to upload a photo and more people would use it which makes me happy as there’s more stuff to look at.

Wally

It’s the weekend and it’s been 17 hours since the last “Classified” posting, paid or not.

theboatman
    Free Member

In the days of the old classifieds if you posted on a Sat am, by the evening you could be on the dreaded page 2….

ransos
    Free Member

Guys – don’t start this one again. The ads are to monetise the forum to support the rest of single track. Like it or not thats the way it is.

I get that. My point is that when ads are detrimental to the site’s usability, they become counter productive.

stevemorg2

Just given up posting an ad for a towball rack I’m selling – pics just wouldn’t load for some reason

Drac

Anymore information Stevemorg I’ll see if I can help? Was if timing out?

stevemorg2

Dra, Thanks – not timing out – just kept on spinning!

tjagain

Ransos – I agree but that is not the view of STW.

Its their playground, they make the rules

Drac

Cheers I’ll take a look that fits in with some other issues today, reporting posts has been slow so it could be something about uploading to the server. Sorry you’re having issues.

You and Ranos may agree but the ads generate money to keep the forum going. They recently changed providers at loss to their income to make the sight a better experience. I’m wondering if it’s time we actually acted out the warnings of facing a ban for those that openly admit to blocking ads.

scotroutes

You and Ranos may agree but the ads generate money to keep the forum magazine going.

FTFY

the-muffin-man

I pay for STW but still use an ad-blocker – as soon as I see a ‘Martin Lewis made me millions’ or some other scamming click-bait advert that web-page gets closed down. I bet a lot of money comes from accidental clicks.

Drac

You’ve fixed nothing Scotroutes as no magazine no forum.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Classifieds not working currently, pics wont upload

Anyone want some 2018 27.5 boost sids dm me 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

You and Ranos may agree but the ads generate money to keep the forum going.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I’ve already acknowledged the need for the site to generate income.

tjagain

Only if those in charge decided to shut it down. The forum makes money does it not? It would be viable stand alone but obviously running a forum neither is the skilled jobs STW want nor does it do anything but be a forum

tjagain

Guys – sorry I should not have posted again. this conversation just ends up in folk getting cross.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup, best not stray into those woods.

I must admit the ads are less problematic than they used to be, a lot happier to let them be.

luketracey

Thought I was doing it wrong! Trying to put a WTD ad for a rear 650B 12×142 wheel. Picture thing was stopping me #stealthad

Drac

Cheers guys I’ll bang a report probably why we’ve had ads today.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I’ve already acknowledged the need for the site to generate income.

No, just clarifying.

russyh
    Free Member

Guys – sorry I should not have posted again. this conversation just ends up in folk getting cross.

Unfortunately you’re right.  I can’t believe I allowed myself to post again.  I’m afraid how this has been handled from the start is enough for me to not renew my subscription.

Drac

Those who has problems uploading yesterday have you had any luck today?

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘I miss the old days of the STW classifieds jumble sale’ is closed to new replies.