Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I like this. Issue that killed the net for Welsh village solved after 18 mths.😆
  • Poopscoop

Ok, ok, it didn’t “kill the ‘net” but from 7am every day a village had issues with speed and reliability of connection. Particularly “these days” I bet it was bloody infuriating.

It’s now been solved. I can see why the perp doesn’t want to be identified. I bet every Netflix viewer/ WFHer in the village is lining up to hammer sausages in their lawn.😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That seams mad that a TV can interfere in that way. I hope they all got the person a new TV

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We used to have a TV repeater for the Sky box so you could watch it in the other room. That would wipe out the Wi-Fi.

That seams mad that a TV can interfere in that way.

CRT displays opperate at tens of thousands of volts to generate the electron beam, remember from physics electrons are both a wave and a particle, so if the shield is knackered then it’ll be spewing out all sorts of frequencies.

whitestone
    Free Member

Pretty well any electrical device can cause interference if not designed correctly (very rare these days – such tests are part of the CE certification) or it has a fault. The most likely part of any consumer device to do so is the power supply, if a capacitor or similar fails then an RF spike is typical.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Tig welders have also caused issues in some industrial environments due to the hf start. This why there is such testing on any device that emits rf.

hols2
    Free Member

Was expecting a story about someone WFH and spending all day surfing websites dedicated to large collections of images and videos. Either that or some fool uploading 100 000 movies on bit torrent sites.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What’s the odds they just put it on in the morning to keep the dog company whilst they were at work?

bentandbroken

Thats great! Last one I found was a car alarm in the Directors Aston Martin that knocked out two Wireless AP’s whenever it was enabled. Took ages to find that one as he only came in infrequently.

footflaps

When Ionica (anyone remember them) started rolling out broadband (64 kb/s) they had to replace a lot of old Satellite dish LNBs which were faulty and interfering with the Ionica band (3.5 GHz spectrum).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionica_(company)

reluctantjumper

It’s just a more extreme version of when I was little we couldn’t watch TV if I had the train set or the Scalextric running, the little sparks would knacker up the weak TV signal!

maccruiskeen

*inserts anecdote about a vibrator*

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You know the “anecdote about” is surplus to requirements don’t you?

whitestone
    Free Member

Maybe it was the local knocking shop. Then again having been to Aberhosen I don’t think they’d get much custom 😆

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m trying to make sense of how a TV can interfere with a fibre line or even a shielded TP?
    How close would it need to be?

Cougar

I’m trying to make sense of how a TV can interfere with a fibre line or even a shielded TP?

Fibre: it can’t.
    STP: probably won’t exist anywhere.

DSL typically comes in over the regular phone lines, remember. Totally susceptible to interference. Besides, “the Internet” in that report could just mean Wi-Fi.

I Am Not A Network Engineer.

stevextc
    Free Member

Fibre: it can’t.

We used to have some old switches (around y2k) where the GB fibre optical converter (used on the backbone) was really fragile. Can’t imagine that being the case 20yrs on but ??

DSL typically comes in over the regular phone lines, remember. Totally susceptible to interference.

So assuming it is this … I’m wondering just how close you’d need to be.

Besides, “the Internet” in that report could just mean Wi-Fi.

I suspect that … which makes me wonder about the competence of their Head of Engineering.

Prompted by some Aussie kids program my kid watches 😉 where the kids track down a faulty 2.4Ghz doorbell interfering with the ice cream shop’s Wifi …which disturbingly (at least at first glance) seems more accurate than that “report”

Sandwich

Evil Edna strikes. You youngsters ask your parents!

welshfarmer

I reckon he bought that knackered TV on a whim. Saw it advertised cheap due to a broken volume control. He just couldn’t turn it down.

ta11pau1

Microwaves are known to interfere with 2.4ghz wireless signals. And given how a thunderstorm can knock out my broadband, which is running on copper and fibre cables, I can quite believe it!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

He just couldn’t turn it down.

<ripple of applause>

footflaps

And given how a thunderstorm can knock out my broadband, which is running on copper and fibre cables, I can quite believe it!

Doesn’t take out the fibre but can fry the electrical equipment connected to it if you get a ground strike near to a junction box etc.

Friends of ours live in France and get broadband over DSL via Orange. Their region is susceptible to lightning strikes which regularly blow up the DSL boxes in people houses, so every time there are storms forming, Orange txts all their customers to say unplug your DSL box now!

xora

How close would it need to be?

My guess is the cab for the village happens to be outside their window!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I can see why the perp doesn’t want to be identified

My money’s on Cathy and Ray at number 36

Sandwich

Is that Mr & Mrs Tube Perchy?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is that Mr & Mrs Tube Perchy?

Oh, you know them?

Lovely couple but terribly old fashioned. 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I like this. Issue that killed the net for Welsh village solved after 18 mths.😆’ is closed to new replies.