Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I know nothing about Gravel groupsets
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

a theme is developing….

Shimano 105 is like SLX right? Any bargain group sets around? Minus brakes…!

ta!

ta11pau1

Shimano gravel/road stuff tends to be 2x only, if you want 1x then it’s SRAM stuff you need to look at. Apex-Rival-Force.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think I want to use a double. For MOAR PWR interval sessions and turbo etc

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

smiffy

I can’t think of a reason to want a single ring on a gravel bike. It’s not like you’ve got a fat back tyre getting in the way of things.

bowglie

I’ve gone from a 2×9 Shimano drivetrain to SRAM 1×11 on mine – mainly to get hydraulic brakes. On most rides (Peak District area) I haven’t had a problem with running out of gears, but there have been a couple of climbs where I’ve been off walking, where others in the group on 2x kept riding.

I wouldn’t bother with SRAM either.  The indexing mechanism in my shift lever broke and you can’t just replace the lever, like on Shimano – I had to replace the whole unit (lever, hose & caliper). Luckily sorted under warranty, but tbh, dunno if I’d go 1x or SRAM again.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

guess itdepends on the terrain…? Cyclocross/ off road more, 1×11 is great… but i use my gravel bimbler more on road with the occasional gravel/ tame off road bimble.

Anyhow, looks lie 105 is the one to go for to replace what i have. may just go for a new chain cassette and jockey wheels, freshen it up a bit  (plus new cables and outers etc)

scud
    Free Member

I think the perfect gravel gearing is 46/30 front chainset with either 11-36 or 11-40 cassette out back depending on where you live.

Trouble is Shimano don’t yet do a 46/30 chainset, FSA, Middleburn etc do, or Absolute Black do aftermarket chainrings that fit Shimano chainsets.

Best explained here:

https://road.cc/content/feature/246424-how-get-ultra-low-gearing-gravel-bike-adventures

rOcKeTdOg

I ride my gravel bike more off road than on so 34 x 11-40 is ideal. if i was to ride it more as a road bike I’d either get a road bike or a compact chainset.

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven’t had a problem with running out of gears, but there have been a couple of climbs where I’ve been off walking

Eh? Surely having to get off and walk is the definition of running out of gears?

steve_b77
    Free Member

You’ve discovered a new drivetrain niche there, Gravel Groupsets.

Personally I think 1 by is a good idea with say a 38 front and 11-40 rear, gives you loads of range and can be done with Shimano or SRAM.

smiffy

Hi Steve,

You may have spotted benefits that I have not, care to share?

Smiffy

steve_b77
    Free Member

Simplicity, equal gear range, no front mech to get filled with fine gravel dust and **** up, aesthetics, clutch mechs.

A side note, I run 38t up front and 11-36 on mine and haven’t run out of gears on road or gravel path, for full on off-road I have a MTB or two. Done 200km plus rides on that set up no worries.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I know nothing about Gravel groupsets’ is closed to new replies.