Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • I Just Ordered a DE Safety Razor!
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I am naturally cynical of mega corps like Gilette but latest razors seem to last a long time.

They would be secretly horrified if they read that! WS and Gilette are both businesses with just one aim; to extract money from customers – they advertise on TV, therefore the profit margin is massive!
    I changed to DE about two years ago (after reading about it on here) and I’ve not looked back, shaving is now a pleasure.
    Frankly I’m not bothered what other people use now, I’ve got my Merkur and 3 classic Gilettes which in all likelyhood will never wear out – as long as Feather blades are available I’m happy. But if people ask for advise I’ll always push DE.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why is a DE or similar better than the cut throat style?

Does anyone use the cut throat style with the replaceable blades?

I would be intrigued to see the actual profit margins for Gilette. I would suspect that they are lower than one thinks hence the need for massive marketing and potentially spurious innovations (some may argue). I am intrigued by the irony within marketing especially in the FMCG world. The objective of marketing is to make selling superfluous and yet the companies who are held up as top marketeers spend their whole lives having to convince us to buy their products. Something strange there?

I_Ache
    Free Member

The razor came with a blade but I also ordered a pack of 10 Gillette 7 o’clock blades hoping they are better than what is already in there. Once I get the technique down I will order a mixed pack of blades but initially I think consistency is better.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

good call i ache, you are right, zero post, so just ordered a lord as well to give it a try.

good bargain especially as a cheap n’ nasty plastic boots own brand one that i looked at yesterday was more expensive.

Hohum
    Free Member

My stash of DE equipment (razors, razor blades, soaps, brushes, etc. ) has been growing quite well since I started into DE shaving.

I used the “it’s cheaper than cartridge shaving” reason to justify my initial expense, but I found the allure of buying shiny little razors and cool looking brushes too much of an allure and I have become hooked, ha, ha!

At current usage I now have enough blades to last me 35 years :O

Oh well, it satisfies my desire to tweak and find the ultimate shave and my DE shaving spend per year is less than I spend on MTBing. Also, I don’t get the macho man stigma associated with not using products that keep the skin on your face in good condition. I see lots of blokes my age or younger and their skin looks really old and parched and it does not look very attractive in the slightest.

Hohum
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

I would not say it is better, they both have pros and cons, one obvious downside with the cut throat style razor is the investment in time required to perfect your technique.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

For a cheap way into DE shaving, I’d recommend a Gillette Superspeed from Ebay – around £10 and a pleasure to use.
    I also use Gillette 7 O’clock blased, but that’s because there’s a shaving shop in town, I like having it there so try to use it for soaps, aftershaves and the like. Treated myself to a Futur there – £50 isa lot for a razor, but it loos and feels awesome.
    I don’t use the cheaper arguement to justify DE, it’s just better.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Clue might be in the name. I tried open razors about 20 years ago. gave it up as if I’m going to lose that much blood, i’d be as well donating it to something useful and getting a cup of tea and biscuit out of it.
    Close shave though

skiboy
    Free Member

Soz teamhurtmore,

wasn’t trying to argumentative,

i did convert because i hate big corps like Gilette, they have definitely
    done us over with a product that is a lot more expensive and about the same quality shave wise, good trick, even my Dad siad no don’t use a DE you will cut your head off etc, never have yet tho’

sharkbait
    Free Member

For a cheap way into DE shaving, I’d recommend a Gillette Superspeed from Ebay – around £10 and a pleasure to use

SuperSpeeds are lovely, I’ve got one and it’s a pleaseure to use. Quite mild but a great starter.

RobHilton
    Free Member

if I’m going to lose that much blood, i’d be as well donating it to something useful and getting a cup of tea and biscuit out of it

But no badge?

I_Ache
    Free Member

So I just received the razor and it seems ok, nothing special and clearly cheap but fine. I had a mess around with one of the blades and a piece of paper and I didn’t realise how sharp they were 😯

Anyhow tonight is the night I will let you know how it goes!

IMAG0023 by i_ache, on Flickr

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I didn’t realise how sharp they were

razor sharp, perchance?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The only time I went near my face with those horrible Bic disposables I ended up with a red face they really are crap.

You’re obviously a softy then. Us Desperate Dan types can shave with owt. 8)

I_Ache
    Free Member

razor sharp, perchance?

Yes funny that isn’t it.

What I meant is that because I have been mollycoddled by modern enclosed disposable razors I didn’t actually realise how sharp actual razor sharp is.

Woody
    Free Member

IIRC you haven’t got a good brush and soap, which really make a difference as they lift and soften the hairs.

Make sure you soften the beard ie. have a shower and remember the golden rule, let the razor do the work with no pressure.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL, the trendy razor fad is outed:

Make sure you buy a styptic pencil aka “they’re actually crap”

OP just get a hair trimmer or electric to take the long stubble down to something shave-able, ad use an old toothbrush or similar.

Bath/shower helps immensely, some soaps/gels are better than others (and it’s personal) no need for fancy brush though.

OMG I just saw this

my DE shaving spend per year is less than I spend on MTBing

Are you fanboys for real?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Well I have just had the shave, I was a little nervous as people always talk about cutting their face quite a lot. So I had a long shower before shaving to soften up the 3 weeks of growth, yes I know its not ideal for a first shave. Anyway the shave went well the razor feels good but very light compared to how I expected it to feel. I only manages to get two very small nicks under my nose, that I didn’t even notice until I finished. It wasn’t the closest shave I’ve ever had but I am putting that down to it being my first time so I didn’t want to push my luck too much and the razor being very cheap, it only actually cost £2.50. I will have another go tomorrow night as, for the first time, I quite enjoyed it.

Hohum
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Are you fanboys for real?

Yeah, baby! Ha, ha 😉

I’m sure that you have some “odd” habits as well mate! Most people on this forum are at least part geek/obsessive in some way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I may well do, I just don’t get the whole “this way of shaving is better, just make sure you have something to mop up the blood” aspect.

Bit like riding a retro bike, cool in theory, but actually no fun – progress has in fact been made.

And, yes, I’ve tried both…

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

Thank you for a decent reply 🙂

I was sort of expecting something cheeky, but you have pleasantly surprised me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am feeling a little odd….. 😉

I’d love to “get” it, but I just don’t, it’s like learning to shave again – so I’d just end up using the modern stuff.

Hohum
    Free Member

It’s not for everyone.

Thankfully you/we have a choice nowadays 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my lord razor has also just arrived. i’m really impressed, its actually heavier than i expected. and for just 2.50, whats too lose (except blood)

anyhow, shave tonight and we’ll see.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had another shave after posting last night and managed top get it much closer without spilling any blood. It really is surprisingly enjoyable and satisfying.

afrothunder88

It really is surprisingly enjoyable and satisfying.

^^This.

I had my 2nd shave with the DE last night and it feel’s alot less like a chore than shaving used to. Haven’t cut myself any worse than I have in the past using a King of Shaves razor either, just 2 tiny nicks. Really need to get some decent soap though, the Gilette stuff I’m using is terrible, having to reapply before I’ve even finished the first pass. Also need to get better at going against the grain!

Dobbo

I was feeling myself getting sucked in, I was looking at a shaving site wondering what to buy…but cynic-al has bought me back down to the ground again, I’ll stick with the rechargeable remmington for a bit longer. 😳

I_Ache
    Free Member

One thing I did find was that listening to the shave really helped. I used to leave the tap running because I needed the flow to un-clog my fusion but with the DE I found it better to just put a bit of hot water in the bowl and shake the head in the water as it is much more open and this is sufficient to clean it. This way I can hear if I have the right angle as well as feeling.

sharkbait
    Free Member

This way I can hear if I have the right angle as well as feeling.

Yep. You should hear the racket a Merkur Futur makes when you get the angle right…. it’s fab!
    Just think of all the water you’re saving 😉

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I was feeling myself getting sucked in

2.50 posted, whats to lose!

but cynic-al

the clue is in the name really, and since when did any one cynical have fun? ; )

no offence cynic-al!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just think of all the water you’re saving

Im on rates for water not a meter. Its the gas I’m happy about.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘I Just Ordered a DE Safety Razor!’ is closed to new replies.