Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • I hit a deer
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

Heard it scream as it pinged off my offside wing and flew across the road. It jumped off a bank right between the headlights then made a last gasp leap away at which point it took out its hind legs.

No venison for me tonight.

It’s a rubbish feeling isn’t it.

scotroutes

It’s a rubbish feeling isn’t it.

Not being able to take a selfie with it and post on social media showing what a great hunter you are?

mooman
    Free Member

Shame to waste it …

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Ahhh sorry mate, yeah it’s crap.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ha.

And.

It did cross my mind to scavenge but i didn’t fancy a similar fate between Elgin and Aviemore is lonely place to be lying by the roadside!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I hit a deer

Doh!

matt_outandabout

Ray!

(Did it stag-er off?)

(I will stop editing now…)

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Me!

jekkyl

Shocking

[video src="https://i.imgur.com/TgutZ1s.mp4" /]

andy4d

Did it not see you? Was it blind or have you…….

No eye deer

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I didn’t know Red Dead Redemption 2 had 21sth century automobiles in it!

matt_outandabout

What do you call a deer with no legs, no ears, in a southern European country, on fire, no eyes and in a layby?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Theresa May?

matt_outandabout

Theresa May?

Still deaf in Italy flaming no-eyed deer, by the way.

Drac

Doh!

A deer!

jekkyl
    legend
    Free Member

It was probably a cyclist you hit

zippykona

Was it a road deer?

ads678

Is it illegal to pick up your own road kill or is that just an urban myth?

CountZero

Just be thankful it didn’t go through the screen.

supernova

That is a bit shit when that happens. You’re bound to feel guilt, but if you were driving reasonably the you’ll just have to chalk it up to one of those unfortunate things, for you and especially for the deer. There’s a guy in a local shop who mentions that it happened to him every time I go in there so it obviously effected him quite a bit.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I hope the damage caused won’t be expensive.

And that brings us back to…

lunar
    Free Member

ads678 – depends on your interpretation of the relevant laws.  Wildlife and countryside act S11(2) covers other species and specifically for deer the Deer Act 1991.  Most people, imho, interpret the deer act incorrectly, though it depends on where the deer ends up.  If you hit it and it remains on the highway I consider it fair game; if it ends up a few metres from the highway it would likely be an illegal act to remove the carcass.

With the wildlife and countryside act; if you accelerated or swerved, for example to hit a pheasant, you would be deemed as being in immediate pursuit of the animal, this is a criminal offence.  If it is a genuine accident; you are unlikely to be deemed as being in immediate pursuit and therefore collecting the carcass would likely not be an offence, imho.

Though I warn you; I recall a story/rural myth from when I lived on the west coast someone picking up a warm deer carcass and putting it into the back of his car, antlers and all, unfortunately it was not dead just knocked out, it came round in the car and trashed the interior.

AlasdairMc

I hit one a couple of weeks ago. It bounced off the front of my van at about 60mph, breaking the number plate at the screws, and probably its neck too. I couldn’t stop because of the road I was on, but it would have made for a few nice dinners anyway.

bsims
    Free Member

Deer should be made to wear hi viz!

It’s a horrible feeling, especially thinking it has staggered off to die in pain. I have had it myself.

hodgynd
    Free Member

New front end on my car about this time last year from the very same thing ..which went through my insurance .

Although I have protected no claims ..this counted as an ” at fault ” accident even though there was nothing I could do to avoid it ..and ever since I have had scam calls from companies looking to claim compensation on my behalf ..bunch of effing parasites ..no wonder car insurance costs are through the roof .

woffle
    Free Member

Likewise – hit a stag earlier this year. It got up, gave me the evil eye and then jumped over the hedge into a field and wandered off after the rest of the herd.

Nearly 3K of damage to the car.

deadkenny
    Free Member

A deer!

A female deer!

DezB
    Free Member

Nobody’s mentioned my dog yet, have they?

bikebouy
    Free Member

A colleague of mine killed one on the A303 near the Basingstoke junction, she hit it as it was just on the kerb and it’s head came through the windscreen.

Proper horrible and she still recalls it today, vividly.

globalti
    Free Member

It does worry me that I might hit one when I’m, er, making good progress on the empty A59 late at night.

Scapegoat

ads678 – depends on your interpretation of the relevant laws.  Wildlife and countryside act S11(2) covers other species and specifically for deer the Deer Act 1991.  Most people, imho, interpret the deer act incorrectly, though it depends on where the deer ends up.  If you hit it and it remains on the highway I consider it fair game; if it ends up a few metres from the highway it would likely be an illegal act to remove the carcass.

How many people on here (or otherwise)  would know what to do with a freshly killed deer carcass anyway?

Though I warn you; I recall a story/rural myth from when I lived on the west coast someone picking up a warm deer carcass and putting it into the back of his car, antlers and all, unfortunately it was not dead just knocked out, it came round in the car and trashed the interior.

Friend of mine was a gamekeeper in Perthshire. A pensioner brought a roadkill Roebuck to his cottage in the back of his Fiesta, asking him to gralloch and butcher it for him. He went to the back of the car where the buck was very much alive. Paul managed to open the back of the car enough to put a rope on its head but the pensioner misheard or misunderstood the instructions to open the boot slowly and flung it open. Paul was gored in the forearm as it sprang out.

woody2000

I hit a deer

That’s nothing, I once spanked a monkey….

perchypanther
    Free Member

That’s nothing, I once spanked a monkey….

I’ve never shoed a horse ……but i once told a donkey to **** off.

ransos
    Free Member

Was it an accident, or did you Sika it out?

bazzer
    Free Member

I hit one the other day in the van on the way to work, It was horrible I slowed quite  a bit before I hit it and it still went barreling down the road. It just jumped out and I just caught its rear quarter.

Made aright mess off the van, bumper, both undertrays, intercooler shroud and fog light.

It really shook me up as I am a bit of a softy with animals.

fossy

Damn, that’s Christmas cancelled. You do know it was Rudolf

digga
    Free Member

Not the thread I thought it would be.

My mate hit a deer as we rode back into our village on a night ride. Or rather the deer hit him, square in the thigh,  as it shot out of someone’s garden into the road.

Good job we’d been to the pub and he was nice and relaxed or it might have knocked him off his bike. The deer slipped over after the impact and was struggling to get grip on the tarmac with its hooves to get up, so I had to do an emergency stop to avoid, but fortunately all three of us were fine, although my mate reckoned he had a decent bruise the next morning.

Dickyboy

A friend picked a warm one off the road, didn’t have any sharp knives to let the blood before hanging it, so cut its head off with a chainsaw – messy but still tasted good.

matt_outandabout

How many people on here (or otherwise)  would know what to do with a freshly killed deer carcass anyway?

Depending on where you live, more than you may think….

We had two that were hit by staff car and a minibus. They were hung behind kit store at outdoor centre, dealt with and shared among the staff team. Venison curry was rather ‘unusual’….

We had one jump out of a forest at Loch Lubnaig in front of car returning from new year celebrations. I swerved so hard to avoid it we left tyre marks in mud on wrong side of road. The thing hit main a-pillar, left snot and blood on windscreen (but didn’t break it), then bounced down most panels along side of the car. It staggered (!) off, and despite a good look was gone / hiding so couldn’t find it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘I hit a deer’ is closed to new replies.