Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • I hit a deer
  • rocketman
    Free Member

There are around 800 on Cannock Chase

[anecdote]a workmate of an acquaintance hit one (on his bike, off-road). He was busted up pretty badly and never rode again. Deer OK [/anecdote]

[anecdote]Rutting is over now but I’ve had stags lope alongside me at night when they’re all fired up.. I wouldn’t want to lock horns with one *cough* [/anecdote]

johnx2
    Free Member

I didn’t know Red Dead Redemption 2

Red Deer Redemption 2?

Beagleboy

I spanked a deer once.

I was riding down a narrow path between trees and a fence when a group of four or five deer burst out of the trees. All of them leapt the fence except one who tried to go through it. I was on the brakes by this point, with the rear end of my Patriot (that’s how long ago it was), sliding around. Rear wheel caught the back end of the deer which straightened me up again and gave the deer the impetus to jump the fence.

When I got home, I spotted deer hair stuck to my rear brake rotor. Have always worried since then that there’s a deer out there with Shimano branded on it’s arse and vengeance on its mind.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

Herd animals right ?

So if at any point to do see one on or near a road… slow right down. … as his mates will be about, ready to jump out on you.

swavis

There are around 800 on Cannock Chase

This just made me think of Fenton!!!!! 😆

Scapegoat

Herd animals right ?

Some are. Fallow, Reds under some circustances and Sika , but Roe, Muntjac and Chinese Water deer are solitary most of the time.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I carry a captive bolt gun for such situations.

milky1980
    Free Member

A colleague hit one in the FOD a few months back in a company Sprinter.  Saw the first one cross in front of him, didn’t slow down but hit the second one following head on at 60mph (yes he was speeding).  Made a right mess of the van as the deer embedded into the bonnet and windscreen.  He was off work for a few weeks as it scared him so much.  I’ve missed a few there, only ever hit a boar at a slow speed but have been around sheep farms all my life so used to animals on the road doing strange things.

If it doesn’t come through your windscreen you’ve been lucky.

kcal

Ah, there are some lonely spots between Elgin and Aviemore..

I was driving back down from Elgin to Edinburgh with my flatmate, late one Sunday evening – just past Logie / Dava turnoff. He pipes up, “want to be careful here, my uncle ran into one a while back”.   Slowed down a bit at the twisty bends as it goes uphill a bit – sure enough a deer lopes out of the woods and crosses the road – I guess a deer crossing point there.   could have turned out quite a bit worse.

johndoh
    Free Member

Did it not see you? Was it blind or have you…….

No eye deer

As the OP said, it’s hind legs were taken out. So still no idea.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘I hit a deer’ is closed to new replies.