Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I have a fire extinguisher. .
  • zippykona

How do I make it a tubeless inflator?

BFITH
    Free Member

empty it first……………

zippykona

We’ve just had fun doing that. I apologise to the people in the pub garden .

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-mk-vii

I just finished a 2kg one that I was using to gas my home bar set up, so will be doing the same shortly!

jamesoz

If you can’t be arsed with fitting a filling port to the valve, the simplest way is to fill it from the outlet.
    Just keep the handle squeezed with a band or tape, attach a track pump to whatever tube will fit the chuck of the inflator and your track pump.

zippykona

That makes life easier. I shall have a play with it.
    In fact I have 2 extinguishers if someone else wants the other one.
    No, I won’t post it!

firestarter
    Free Member

Where are you zippy

zippykona

Epsom.
    Up and down to Eastbourne a fair bit if you are in the area.

firestarter
    Free Member

No where near I’m afraid thanks anyway

zippykona

I’ve got this far. How do I attach an air out pipe?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could you not just make a double ended air hose with a schrader on one end, and put a threaded adapter on the presta? Just attach it to your wheels first.

Or measure the thread and find an adapter to a a barb that’ll fit in an air hose (3/16″ or 5mm)?

jamesoz

Something like this?

Obviously you need to check the thread size of your outlet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Even easier, if you take the horn off, is there a barb or anything more useful under that nut, if not the barb in yetiman’s link might fit under it anyway.

servo
    Free Member

I unscrewed the nut and released the black curvy pipe attached to the horn thing.

I then fitted an old track pump hose by wrapping it in PTFE tape and pushing it in and doing the nut up again.

It all worked fine at first but then the hose tended to blow out of the nut. Got fed up of wrapping the PTFE tape around it so now just hold it in place with my hand.

I ended up cutting the hose head off as it was knackered and now just push the hose over the tubeless valve. Much better flow.

So all I have now is a short bit of hose in place of the black curved pipe in your picture. Other end of the hose just pushes direct onto the tubeless valve.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I cut the nut off then attached an old pump pipe to it by placing it inside it and clamping it up with a jubilee clip – it was a decent fit anyway

bearnecessities

Mick, check your emails – I’ve just sourced you one 🙂

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Could this end badly?

bearnecessities

Offering a fire extinguisher to a guy called firestarter? I see it more as an intervention.

firestarter
    Free Member

Merci rich 😉

bearnecessities

So, can those that know help me out here?

I have a mate that owns a fire extinguisher type thing company, who is sourcing me a suitable appliance for Mr Firestarter, and has now bombarded me with a load of questions and a range of options which I’ve just replied with “um, dunno”.

His suggestion is for a 6l Chubb CO2 that has a schrader valve attached to it for inflation (by foot pump or whatever), and then would just need to add some kind of female attachment to the hose for tyre.

Does this sound suitable?

firestarter
    Free Member

6l seems a large one tbh 2 or 3 l should do mate

jamesoz

It’ll be fine. I used a nine litre water extinguisher for a bit, I then repurposed it as a bike washer.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

I think he means 6ltr foam or water. CO2 extinguishers come in 2kg or 5kg and don’t have schraeder valves.

jamesoz

How about this one, a mere 400kg. Took two of us to shift it.

bearnecessities

I think he means 6ltr foam or water

He probably said that; I probably misunderstood 🙂 Ta.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I used a nine litre water extinguisher for a bit, I then repurposed it as a bike washer.

That’s a dam good idea, how many bikes can you clean from one fill?
    How much pressure does a water fire extinguisher have, Does it give a nice jet of water?

jamesoz

Goldigger – Member
    I used a nine litre water extinguisher for a bit, I then repurposed it as a bike washer.
    That’s a dam good idea, how many bikes can you clean from one fill?
    How much pressure does a water fire extinguisher have, Does it give a nice jet of water?

I just pumped it up as much as I could be arsed and used the existing hose to clean the bike. Worked well, only ever used it on my bike. Just don’t brim it on re-fill. You need a bit of space for propellant.

With a stored pressure water extinguisher, when it’s empty you just unscrew the whole valve and fill it from a tap. A thump on the side of the handle with the palm of your hand should shift it.
    I got rid as it was just one more thing rolling round the back of my van and it’s just as easy to clean the bike at home with a brew.

zippykona

It worked a treat last night.
    2 tyres fitted in about 10 minutes.
    I even left the valve in the second tyre.

sandwicheater

Bookmarking for later, have just found three fire extinguishers in my office cellar*.

*worst humble brag ever

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I have a fire extinguisher. .’ is closed to new replies.