Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • I hate BBQs
  • Murray

Was told to do one for 6:30pm last week. 20 sausages and 8 burgers on a standard Weber kettle. Not enough room to cook indirectly so required constant moving of everything to avoid being raw or charcoal. That meant standing in the smoke for 20 minutes.

And then the following day, clean the grill, clean the burnt on fat out of the grill.

What is the point?

weeksy

You’re doing it wrong, i’ve got a Weber the same as that and have no issues with temperature or cooking large amounts.

The grill gets cleaned after it cools. The inside of the grill gets foil lined.

dyna-ti

2 large sized disposable BBq’s

Problem solved.

sadexpunk

And then the following day, clean the grill, clean the burnt on fat out of the grill.

never cleaned a BBQ grill yet and nobodys died. the heat from the next barbie does that work, i just scrape the grill with spatula once its up to heat and it easily scrapes off and drops into the hot coals.

maccruiskeen

If I had a similar anecdote that started with ‘was told to’ rather than ‘was asked to’ I’d be wondering what the point is too 🙂

fin isn’t fun if it’s compulsory

zilog6128

You’re doing it wrong,

yeah, sorry! sounds like you used way too much fuel. Really should be very little smoke once the charcoal or whatever is ready for cooking. Should be plenty of room there for 50/50 direct/indirect, burgers won’t take long anyway then while they’re being eaten just leave the snags to finish off.

I clean the grill with a stiff wire brush as it’s heating, takes seconds, that’s pretty much the only cleaning I ever do!

2 large sized disposable BBq’s

Problem solved.

poor troll 1/10

You clean BBQ’s?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

What is the point?

If nothing else, you just had a half hour to yourself, drinking beer.

Personally I quite like barbecues for just that reason.

binners

You clean BBQ’s?

Exactly my thoughts. Surely fire cleanses everything?

IHN

Not enough room to cook indirectly

Put some sort of divider down the middle of the grate, so you only have charcoal on one half. Then you can start stuff off on the ‘charcoal’ half, and move it across/pile it up on the ‘non-charcoal’ half to finish cooking.

never cleaned a BBQ grill yet and nobodys died. the heat from the next barbie does that work, i just scrape the grill with spatula once its up to heat and it easily scrapes off and drops into the hot coals.

Yup

b230ftw
    Free Member

Read the instructions for the BBQ. Weber bbqs should be used with the lid closed using the air vents to regulate temperature. They are brilliant in that way as you can get beautifully cooked food, not burnt, with minimal hassle.
    If you dump loads of fuel on then use them open with all the vents open they will have a roaring high heat cos of the great airflow.

All I do with mine is fill my Weber starter with coals, light it, return 10m later when the coals are red hot, dump the fuel in the BBQ and cook for what always seems to be chuffin ages for the amount of coal I use. Open every few minutes to turn the food and adjust vents as necessary.

The instructions are really good, if you read them and follow them properly you’ll get great results and it’ll be a lot easier than you think.

ads678

Was told to do one for 6:30pm last week.

Are you grumpy cause you did it on the wrong day?

PrinceJohn

Spent a good 6 hours cooking ribs, burgers & sausages on the BBQ last weekend all on my weber go anywhere. Loved it.

Ended up stinking of smoke, but that was because I had an open fire going next to the BBQ.

neilco
    Free Member

I bet OP kept the lid open…

Murray

Read the instructions for the BBQ

All I do with mine is fill my Weber starter with coals, light it, return 10m later when the coals are red hot, dump the fuel in the BBQ and cook

Just what I did. Still hate doing it.

BTW, my favourite Xmas present was this:

Murray

@neilco, nope. Lid shut, all coals on one side.

longmover
    Free Member

Why clean it? All you are doing is removing the flavour.

lewisdeacon

I cooked more than this on my 57cm kettle at the weekend indirect, two small channels of fuel either edge gives me some searing area and then all the central channel for indirect with an old baking tray in the middle to catch any drops – once you have sealed just stack them up, lid on and leave everything to come up to temp

Please don’t use wire brushes to clean grills – if any of the filaments come loose and end up in food they can cause some nasty injuries. Just get the grill hot and use scrunched up tin foil.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

20 sausages down the middle on indirect, remove when cooked, then 4 burgers on each side over direct heat, does sound like an easy challenge to me I must admit.

You need decent fuel and the baskets that let you put the heat where you want it.

Murray

Thanks @dorset_knob – I didn’t know about BBQ baskets – they make sense. Still not as easy as an oven and a frying pan but an improvement.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

This is all much easier with gas.

anagallis_arvensis

Please don’t use wire brushes to clean grills – if any of the filaments come loose and end up in food they can cause some nasty injuries.

How would that happen?

joebristol

I like bbqing as I get time to myself cooking / eating meat and drinking cider.

If I’m cooking for loads of people I normally use the Weber kettle bbq for stuff where smoke makes it taste better – chicken thighs / joints of meat etc. Then anything else I can also fit in there – but also get the gas bbq fired up too as you can cook more on it / finish stuff off once it’s had some smoke.

I do tend to end up smelling of smoke with the kettle bbq – even if I’m cooking indirectly with the lid on. Especially if there are smoking chips in on the charcoal briquettes – like doing a snake for brisket etc.

If you don’t like doing the above then you can go inside and prepare the salad / make drinks for people 🤷‍♂️

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

So much Weber waving! I love it!

zilog6128

😉

anagallis_arvensis

I have a gas Weber, for your every day burger, sausages or chicken it’s so much easier and quicker. If I want to do something long and slow the normal Weber is better

peajay

I can’t be arsed with bbq’s, cooking outside seems pointless when I’ve a perfectly good cooker and oven inside. On the rare occasion the weather is ok and there are no midgies then I might eat outside but prefer to cook inside.

joebristol

So much Weber waving! I love it!

My gas bbq is a Broil King 🤷‍♂️

joebristol

I can’t be arsed with bbq’s, cooking outside seems pointless when I’ve a perfectly good cooker and oven inside. On the rare occasion the weather is ok and there are no midgies then I might eat outside but prefer to cook inside.

Get me another cider luv

joshvegas
    Free Member

There are some right miserable sods in here.

I have the smallest weber* it’s how i wield it that counts. I’ve even been known to cook outside to eat inside. because you can’t produce barbeque taste indoors.

* I think the go anywhere is the smallest. great wee thing.

jamj1974

Grilling outside is ok, barbecuing outside is better! Slow-cooked meat cooked over wood – truly special.

I always find cooking outdoors more of a shared experience. Some of my best family times have been cooking and eating outdoors.

benp1

I had a BBQ on Friday. I had a two metre pig in blanket (coiled up) and some burgers. It was lovely

That is all 🙂

LeeW

I cooked a shoulder and leg of lamb on the Kamado on Sunday both cooked to medium well in less than two hours.

Absolutely flipping delicious!

Second the comment about using wire brushes, scrunched up foil is a lot safer and just as effective – I am a bit anal about cleaning my BBQ though, always put the grill in the dishwasher and scrub it with a scourer afterwards.

The foil works well removing burnt on kefalotiri though. 🙂

monkfish
    Free Member

I’m with the OP. I’m hopeless at BBQing.

Once I’ve got got the coals going in the starter I usually have about 2 minutes until I can chill beer on them.

It’s a fan oven for me.

zilog6128

There are some right miserable sods in here.

yup 🤣

I think the go anywhere is the smallest. great wee thing.

yeah this is what I have! Very rarely cook for any more than 4 so haven’t needed anything bigger. It lives on a special trolley in the kitchen with all the tools, condiments, fuel etc so can be deployed in seconds! And easy to take in the van or down to the beach.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

They are a chavvy activity that stinks out nearby homes. Even worse are the disgusting disposable ones that people leave on beaches or in the countryside. Some things about the UK I no longer understand.

Dark-Side

They are a chavvy activity that stinks out nearby homes. Even worse are the disgusting disposable ones that people leave on beaches or in the countryside. Some things about the UK I no longer understand.

Reporting planning breachs and complaining about BBQs, I bet your neighbours love you 😉

Its also not very nice to use the term chav/chavvy.

lewisdeacon

@anagallis_arvensis quite a lot of cases of the filaments coming loose onto the grill and then pushing into the food as you cook, then getting wedged in peoples throats – just not something I am willing to risk given how much I use my BBQs and Smoker

@LeeW
    we did some big turkey drumsticks over cherry in my smoker after a 24hr brine – were so good. Also agree regarding the grills, either dishwasher or power wash them every so often but I am usually cooking in the shack a couple of times a week so everything keeps pretty clean

mattsccm
    Free Member

It all went wrong when you used sausages and burgers. Any form of procesed animal or any form of veg is not allowed on a BBQ. In fact having a source of heat that has a manufactures name is also a mistake.
    A pile of stones, a bit of weld mesh and some large lumps of animal, ideally from the land around you is where things should really be.
    Plant matter is allowed if fermented and liquid.

burko73

It all went wrong when you cooked with fire and weren’t a brave and unruly Gaucho like me. I just get off your horse after a hard day in the saddle, brush off the dust and slit the throat of one of my tastiest looking cattle and cook it there and then on an open fire of dry desert wood.

I used to like the odd bbq until I got hooked on a weber grill then I got a bit artisan and I got into it with a Komado etc. I find since I moved to Argentina and went to live as a Gaucho cattle herder I enjoy it all so much more. Proper connection with food and fire.

The only plant matter I let pass my lips is holly leaves made into Mate….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘I hate BBQs’ is closed to new replies.