Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • I hate BBQs
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

Any form of procesed animal or any form of veg is not allowed on a BBQ.

Well thats a load of bollocks.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Reporting planning breachs and complaining about BBQs, I bet your neighbours love you 😉

I live in a row of terraces and it can lead to my house reeking of smoke and cooking fats. It’s disgusting and anti-social in crowded urban places.

Cougar

Part-cook it all in the household oven / grill ahead of time, finish it off on the barbecue. Perfectly cooked smoky burgers and sausages in five minutes.

Murray

Well thats a load of bollocks.

that and worse is how sausages are made kiddies

reeksy

You need a bigger, better BBQ, preferably surrounded by palm trees and with abundant sticks to burn.

I cook on this at least once a week, normally.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fFUwDh]

joshvegas
    Free Member

that and worse is how sausages are made kiddies

A thought that doesn’t bother me in the slightest!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a bigger Webber and some bbq lessons?

BBQs get cleaned while they’re warm. Burnt rank old food left on the plates and grill… Eww

Our bbq gets well used all through summer and as a pizza oven in winter. Love a good bbq here in Oz.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I live in a row of terraces and it can lead to my house reeking of smoke and cooking fats. It’s disgusting and anti-social in crowded urban places.

Points……. “Troll!!!”

[homer voice] cooking fats gurgle {/homer voice]

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Troll!!!

Slow cook with a snake or sear both sides and eat rare?

LeeW

@lewisdeacon – I’ve had the egg for two years now, never cooked poultry on it – I do like turkey though so will have to give it a go.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Points……. “Troll!!!”

Have you ever had a neighbour’s BBQ about 5 feet from your window with the wind in the wrong direction?

theotherjonv

No, but I know what you mean, wind in wrong direction and you can share your BBQ with everyone whether they want it or not.

But to lump everyone that BBQ’s, in an appropriate setting and with appropriate thought for others, into a statement like “They are a chavvy activity that stinks out nearby homes” I think says more about you than people who BBQ in general.

Some people have BBQs. Some people are dicks. The Venn diagram has an overlap, they aren’t contiguous. And you can substitute ‘have BBQ’s’ for any other characteristic or hobby that you like, and the same applies.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

That’s just my view of BBQ’s in the UK :D. The problem is we only have a few days of really good weather a year and everyone rolls out the BBQs – like clockwork – at once which doesn’t suit our dense housing. There is definitely something antisocial about it IMHO.

My you, I spent almost two decades working and living in very hot countries so I don’t understand the English sun-worshipping any more. There is something very sad about wanting to get sunburned or walk around Tesco with no shirt on 😀

Dark-Side

he problem is we only have a few days of really good weather a year and everyone rolls out the BBQs – like clockwork – at once which doesn’t suit our dense housing. There is definitely something antisocial about it IMHO.

Can it be classed as anti-social if everyone is doing it though? Genuine question. I don’t like fireworks bu accept that many others do, so as a consequence I have to tolerate them.

lewisdeacon

@LeeW ceramics are excellent for poultry, and even better if you dry or wet brine first. Cook my xmas turkey on mine every year and it just stays so moist. Simply just spatchcock a chicken, Simon and Garfunkel rub (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme) and chuck it on over the heat deflector – best Sunday roast!

zilog6128

That’s just my view of BBQ’s in the UK :D. The problem is we only have a few days of really good weather a year and everyone rolls out the BBQs – like clockwork – at once which doesn’t suit our dense housing

so, specifically for you, where you live, rather than in general as your post implied?! Had 3 scorchers already this year down south with many more to come I’m sure (not that I only BBQ when it’s hot out!) and not really a problem anyway with our big gardens 😉

jezzep

Hiya,

I’ll add to the hatred of some BBQs especially Gas powered ones. My fathers one, is always greasy and horrible, even if you clean it, it’s still horrible. I got so fed up with it, that I got them a Clay Chiminea, much easier all the grease is burnt off, the grill is self cleaning as the grease all burns off it. It looks better in the garden and doesn’t look like a rusting hulk. I also use it for making Pizzas using a pizza stone inside on firebricks, works really well.

JeZ

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Can it be classed as anti-social if everyone is doing it though?

If you wanted to turn your home into a restaurant or take-away you’d need planning permission with one reason being the smell. Yes, BBQ smoke could in some instances be considered both a statuary nuisance and a tortious nuisance.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got a Weber Kettle amongst others and it’s fine once you learn a few tips and tricks. A warming rack is great for a bit of extra space. Also get decent charcoal and it’ll burn for longer and you won’t need so much of it, which leaves a greater part of the grill free for indirect. That and the additional space of a warming rack should help you out. Having the lid shut is pretty essential too.

Lastly mine never gets cleaned in the sink or dishwasher. Whenever I start it up I let it get properly hot and then scrape off anything from the grills if they need it. If there’s ever a build up of grease in the bowl then that will be removed, but I think I do that about once a year. Used properly most of it gets burnt off anyway.

grum
    Free Member

I think some people’s idea of BBQ is a bit outdated and/or you have inept friends/neighbours who buy bad charcoal and cook crap food. 😉

Cooking over fire and smoking can produce amazing flavours. I’d always try and be sensitive with smoke etc and neighbours but if people can have wood burners why not BBQs?

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you wanted to turn your home into a restaurant or take-away you’d need planning permission with one reason being the smell. Yes, BBQ smoke could in some instances be considered both a statuary nuisance and a tortious nuisance.

Like, I think you need to chill a bit. I mean I’m all for consideration for your neighbours, wait for no washing to be outside etc. but really how often is it a problem for you?

jam-bo

but if people can have wood burners why not BBQs?

my guess would be i_scoff_cake is probably angry about that too. some people aren’t cut out for living in a terrace.

Cougar

I cook on this at least once a week, normally.

Interesting. How often do you cook on it abnormally?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

How often do you cook on it abnormally

I use mine upside down once or twice a year to get the last of the gas from the bottle.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Some good advice here already, and I’m no pit master, but two things. 1. Burgers, like steaks, should be cooked hard and fast. 2. Sausages can be cooked indirectly with a bit of direct heat to add some colour/flavour. So do your sausages, then do your burgers.

Char baskets are great for creating zones but if you really get into it – I cook on my kettle all year round – get a slow n sear, they are awesome at balancing temperatures for long cooks as they have a water reservoir, or if you are doing burgers/steak you can remove this and have a bigger fuel area.

Summer is coming. Get some meat and experiment.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Oh, and unless I’ve burnt some smoking wood, there is no major smoke for the neighbours to moan about.

freeagent
    Free Member

Some good advice on this thread. I’ve been working on my BBQ skills for the last couple of years but still have lots to learn.
    Good charcoal (not easy light) good produce and careful fire management make a huge difference.
    I did a whole ribeye on the rotisserie over my Weber kettle on Sunday which was absolutely amazing.

reeksy

@Cougar thrice a fortnight abnormally.

I also don’t clean it.

We have a possum that licks it clean (yes still talking about the BBQ).

Cougar

We have a possum that licks it clean (yes still talking about the BBQ).

Well, I laughed. Well played.

reeksy

Not even joking. Sometimes they barely wait for it to cool down!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member
    Points……. “Troll!!!”

Have you ever had a neighbour’s BBQ about 5 feet from your window with the wind in the wrong direction?

Nope. I live on acreage. If a neighbour was bbq’ing 5m from my window I’d be asking what they were doing on my property.

hatred of some BBQs especially Gas powered ones

Coals / briquettes / wood massive fire risk from embers. We have total fire bans in summer. Gets a bit toasty some times.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Getting decent charcoal is a must with a bbq, lights better, burns better, less smoke etc. Those easy light bags are awful.

These links might be useful for some wanting decent local charcoal.

http://devoncharcoal.co.uk/makers/

https://ncfed.org.uk/public/products/charcoal/#buy

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘I hate BBQs’ is closed to new replies.