• This topic has 62 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Cougar.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • I found this lump…
  • BruceWee

…and I’m trying to find something it could be other than cancer.

I’ve got a doctor’s appointment in just under a week’s time so that’s a week of stewing and I’m hoping someone who knows about this kind of stuff can tell me something it could be other than cancer because so far my internet self-diagnosis hasn’t given me any likely candidates.

So, it’s a pea-sized hard lump on the bottom of my right testicle. It’s definitely attached to the testicle and it’s not on the epididymis or in the scrotum. On the testicle.

Every source I’ve read says that a lump doesn’t necessarily mean cancer. However, they describe all the other things it could be, none of which are what I have. None of them have said, ‘If you find a pea-sized hard lump on the actual testicle, it could be this’.

I’m most likely going to lose a bollock, aren’t I?

On the other hand, I’m most likely going to be fine apart from that?

Houns

Could be a cyst like wot mine is. IANAD. You’ll get checked out and hopefully your mind will be put at ease

willard

Look at it this way, if it is cancer, you have found it, it will get treated and it should be done, even if you lose one testicle. If it is not cancer, then that’s also good.

Either way, getting it seen to is the first step. Yes, stewing for a week is not going to be good for you, but stick with it. Getting the investigation process started is he best thing you could have done.

Bazz

You stil have to wait a week? I had something similar a few years a go, albeit pre-covid, and the docs got me in within the hour, they took it very seriously. Fortunately turned out to be nothing severe.

Could you try a NHS walk in centre if that’s the best your GP can do? Or call the 111 helpline? I’d not be waiting.

Best of luck OP hope everything is fine.

BruceWee

Could be a cyst like wot mine is.

Was yours on the actual bollock? Cause everything I’ve read says they can appear anywhere except on the bollock.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Put the internet down for **** sake madness lies that way.

You have done the absolute best thing you can buy going to the doctor and not ignoring it. Don’t undo all the good work by letting your mind run away with itself.

Have you looked on Marie curie etc they may have some advice on dealing with the gap. Physical and mental exertion to keep distracted.

*Prays for OPs testical*

BruceWee

Put the internet down for **** sake madness lies that way.

Plenty good information (from actual medical sources) out there. Just none of it is giving me any alternative options about what it could be.

But yeah, I think I’ve taken my internet self-diagnosis about as far as I can.

iainc

all as above, however, I’d be pushing for an urgent GP appointment, they often keep some same day ones for urgent matters, which this would fit into.

Beagleboy

Did you tell the Doc that you’d found a lump? A week seems an awfully long time to wait for an appointment. For your own peace of mind, I think you should be getting back on the phone and asking for something much sooner.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

How old are you?

Its almost certainly and variocele or spermatocele.

Pea sized hard lump is bang on the description.

Still, IANAD and its right to get it checked out.

BruceWee

Probably should have mentioned this is Norway and this seems to be the way it works here.

World’s richest country, and all that.

StuF

To check if it’s a cyst, find a torch and try and shine a light through it. Cyst’s are transparent. Don’t ask me how I know…
    bike light

BruceWee

Its almost certainly and variocele or spermatocele.

From what I understand, variocele is in the scrotum while spermatocele is in the epididymus. Not what I’ve got.

tjagain

Still could be that or a zillion other things. Cancer is the least likely option if the nastiest. Still get it checked.

bentandbroken

It seems everyone bashes the NHS, but since COVID I have had two face to face Drs appointments within 24 hours of calling and two more telephone appointments the same day.

My view was I needed to stop being ‘British’ about the whole thing and use phrases like;

#1 “I am in extreme pain, my knee is the size of a melon and red and I can’t walk” v “my knee is swollen and uncomfortable”

#2 “My leg is blue, I think I have a DVT” v “My leg hurts”

I don’t mean lie, but when it is potentially serious (as your could be), don’t ‘play-it-down’. Try calling them back and pushing for an earlier appointment.

duncancallum

To check if it’s a cyst, find a torch and try and shine a light through it. Cyst’s are transparent. Don’t ask me how I know…

For the love of God don’t post pictures.

How quickly has it grown?

BruceWee

Still could be that or a zillion other things.

Like what?

That’s basically my reason for starting the thread. I can’t find anything else it could be.

Regarding the torch/cyst thing, I read about that, but again, that’s only going to work if your lump is in the scrotum or epididymus. If the lump is on the testicle itself there is pretty much no way to shine anything ‘through’ it.

theotherjonv

I found a lump several years ago and I know your thought process. Mine was a variocele. As a young kiwi ultrasound doctor told me, as I tried to think about cauliflowers.

tjagain

Like what?

Cysts of various sorts. Infections. Varicocele. etc etc

MoreCashThanDash

The good news is you’ve found it.

The even better news is that even if it is cancerous, its probably the most treatable male cancer there is.

A mate found a lump 2-3 months ago, had an orchidectomy, it was cancerous, it doesn’t appear to have spread, he just needs monitoring. He was very upset at the time, but is in a much better place now.

Expect supportive friends to ask if your consultant is Katya Bolokov.

blokeuptheroad

I’ve had my own brush with cancer recently, in a different part of the undercarriage (prostate). Waiting for test results is the absolute worst. Chances are what you have will not be cancer, but even if it is, knowing that, knowing what the treatment options are and what you are dealing with is somehow better than the waiting IME. Going from the unknown to the known and then being in the care of people who know how to best deal with it. Best of luck with your results, step away from the search engine!

BruceWee

Cysts of various sorts. Infections. Varicocele. etc etc

Yup, been through all those and none match what I’m seeing.

To re-iterate, lump is on the testicle itself. Not in scrotum and not in epididymus. The only thing I’ve found a lump on the testicle itself can be is cancer.

I’m just hoping that there is actually something a lump on the testicle could be that isn’t cancer. I appreciate people telling me that it could be a cyst but I’m almost certain that’s not the case (unless there is a type of cyst you can get that is on the testicle itself).

MrSparkle

My 2p: I went to the Dr after finding a lump in same area. He sent me for checks and it was just a cyst. However he also send me for a blood test that revealed I had Prostate Cancer. I ended up having my Prostate removed. The cyst is still there and is like having a third bollock. I hope yours all checks out ok and you don’t have to go through all that.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m most likely going to lose a bollock, aren’t I?

On the plus side, I’ve read enough of your posts to be comfortable telling you you’ve plenty to spare.

That out of the way, even if it is, you’ve caught it, you’re getting it checked and it’ll be treated and survival and recovery rates are very high.

More likely it is something completely different, and less harmful than the stress of worrying about it.

The outcome is most likely you’ll be absolutely fine. Get on your bike and go for a ride and try to worry about something else.

theotherjonv

Well, unless I’ve been lied to then your research is wrong, as mine is attached firmly and not cancer. I understand the panic but you aren’t helping yourself, go and see a pro.

I’d offer to check but as I’m in the docs waiting room right now they might not like it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

(unless there is a type of cyst you can get that is on the testicle itself)

They’re full of glands that secrete stuff, as with any gland, they occasionally get blocked and voila, cyst.

BruceWee

Well, unless I’ve been lied to then your research is wrong, as mine is attached firmly and not cancer. I understand the panic but you aren’t helping yourself, go and see a pro.

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to hear 🙂

tjagain

To re-iterate, lump is on the testicle itself. Not in scrotum and not in epididymus. The only thing I’ve found a lump on the testicle itself can be is cancer.

Dr google is doing you no favours. I have listed a bunch of stuff it could be from my little knowledge.

Yes it could be a cancer but it also could be one of a number of other things. None of us know enough to be sure

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’d offer to check but as I’m in the docs waiting room right now they might not like it.

Show it to the receptionist, they’ll be extatic, they all want to be drs but never get to do any good stuff.

MrSparkle

Just out of interest – have you had a vasectomy? That will also give you lumps in that area. Mine certainly did.

BruceWee

Just out of interest – have you had a vasectomy? That will also give you lumps in that area. Mine certainly did.

No, but I have been thinking about it. Maybe I could ask if they’ll do a 2 for 1 deal…

MrSparkle

They generally do disconnect both knackers when they are doing it…

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Assuming it does turn out to be cancer, there’s an overriding positive to this. You’ve found it, presumably early, which makes your chances of complete recovery very high. If you hadn’t found it, it may have spread. So in the worst-case scenario it’s still a positive.
    If it turns out to not be cancer, that’s a positive too.

StuF

Mine was the 2-1 deal, but the other way round – cyst found whilst being checked for a vasectomy, then both sorted under a GA. Bonus was I didn’t get to smell burning flesh whilst awake.

nickc

I’d be panicking as well, but I was going to write the same thing as @creakingdoor (great user name btw) There are positives, you’ve found it, and you’re doing something about it quickly – you’d probably not be surprised to hear about the amount of guys that ignore it and hope that it just goes away. It’s more likely to be nothing malevolent.

MrSparkle

Pffft! GA for a vasectomy? Lightweight. You should get a local and experience the whole thing. Although they don’t seem keen on you sitting up to see how they are going on.

nbt

I had something like this. Was diagnosed as an epididymal cyst. It’s still there, but it’s mostly fluid so it’s not harmfull – there’s more risk in geting rid of it, so I’ll live with it

like you I was really concerned when I found it, but am now fine with it, just like @theotherjonv

verses

Comedian Richard Herring has recently been through testicular cancer and has put loads of info out there about his experienced of it (Podcasts, books, blogs, radio sit-coms! etc).

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/can-i-have-my-ball-back-a-memoir-of-masculinity-mental-health-and-my-right-testicle/richard-herring/hardback/9780751585766.html

That may be reassuring to look up (or not…) – long story short, he was told it wasn’t the big-C, then told it probably was, had it lopped off, then told it definitely was, had a single bout of chemo and now has enough comedy material to last him the next 10 years.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hit it with a book and see it if goes away

theotherjonv

Bonus was I didn’t get to smell burning flesh whilst awake.

Reminiscent of bacon, but still not a recommendation

GA for a vasectomy? Lightweight.

Agreed. However, make sure they give you enough. They found out I have a decent tolerance for it about a millisecond after I did…. my teethmarks are still in the ceiling tile.

like you I was really concerned when I found it, but am now fine with it, just like  @theotherjonv

I can confirm, I am also totally fine with NBT’s balls.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.