Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • I don’t have £550k but…
  • sideshow
    Free Member

You lot thinking 10% is achievable are overly optimistic IMO, especially as the stated sum is nearly 30x the ISA limit so you’ve got tax to deduct…

FTSE total returns have averaged 7% pa since I started putting savings away in a tracker in 2003

I think they’ll decrease further as well: the days of the 12% long term average ended in the 1980s. Check out OECD growth forecasts and consider how we’re running up against planetary resource limits (hint: under the circumstances, slowed economic growth is a good thing!).

Although in general I agree with the tracker and low management fees philosophy, I have put money into RIT Capital Partners as well, as arguably a family business might incentivise long term rather than short termist management (which of course is where most managed funds fall down. Not my theory btw, my actuary friends’ idea). RIT has averaged 2% above the FTSE since I bought in 2012, and I believe right now they’re hedging against Brexit risk with a big chunk of emerging markets.

Greybeard
    Free Member

9% is pretty achievable if you don’t mind a bit of work and a bit of risk

That it WAS achievable over recent years is no guarantee that it will be in future.

doomanic

Liposuction…

pondo

I once had the great pleasure of sharing workspace with a young lad whose master plan was to borrow as much as he could (in his world maybe 30k), travel abroad so he couldn’t be found and not pay it back.

Just planting seeds…. 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Apartment in the Alps and a villa/finds in Spain (was going to say Majorca but too pricey probably) rent them out when I’m not there. And the biggest card I could find to write “**** off” in for my employer.

Dickyboy

£550k – put it in the bank and snap up a few cheap houses after brexit so my kids can have somewhere half decent to live their lives for a few years before climate change **** us over completely – such positivity 🤔

rone

No on the house plan. Too many pretend business people at that game.

Do something with soul.

twowheels
    Free Member

[rant about middle middle class wet dream of property deleted .. was supposed to be in good humour but didn’t read that way :)]

oreetmon
    Free Member

A Land Rover, a trailer and a big hill.

Oreet bike parks got a nice ring to it 😁

willard

It’s a tricky amount that… Too little to retire on, too much to not want to.

My house is already paid for (it was cheap), but still needs work doing on it, so I would use some for that. The rest, maybe invest in some extra land, or look around for another property that has more land. If there is decent internet, I can work remotely for a few years with minimal overhead and then think about retiring.

Or, I could invest 50k of it in a shit-tonne of tunnel time & jumping and compete in AAA by next season. Assuming DeLand is still there after Darian

tthew

Or, I could invest 50k of it in a shit-tonne of tunnel time & jumping and compete in AAA by next season. Assuming DeLand is still there after Darian

I’d spend a few quid on buying a new keyboard, because yours appears to have failed and started typing random words about 3/4 way through your post. 😁

slowoldman

Buy new house to move into, tart up current one and let it. Add the income to my current pension. Oh and n+1 of course.

jolmes
    Free Member

Probably invest enough in my sons future, make sure he has some under the mattress for a house/uni or whatever he wants to do (C&H?)

Retire super early, by some land in Thailand for a buddy so he an set up his business, help him build it whilst finishing my OU degree.

Max out all our premium bond accounts & invest the rest after getting the Mrs her Juliana.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To some extent, but only good, not exceptional. 9% is pretty achievable if you don’t mind a bit of work and a bit of risk.

Note that this advice always assumes your “bit of risk” comes good. If one person beats the average then another comes in under it.

See also:
    Im alright jack
    Ive done it so anyone can

Its the tory doctorine falacy that with a bit of effort anyone could be the the next Jacob Rees Mogg.

fasthaggis

Don’t say that.

I am really,really hoping that Jacob Rees Mogg is a one of and his children are robots.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘I don’t have £550k but…’ is closed to new replies.