Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I did a GOOD thing and I have the pic to prove it.
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

This step just down from Mellor Cross chucked me over the bars t’other night AAAANNNNNNDDDDD lost my Spesh speedo to boot. So this morning I filled it in and made it rideable again.

You can all thank me later.

hairyscary

Why not just ride the right side?…..as you’re riding

rOcKeTdOg

the H&S officer for that trail just fainted

brakes
    Free Member

which bit is your handiwork?
    the rocks or the bit to the left?

Junkyard
    Free Member

why not just learn to do drops – that is not meant to sound shitty but that is not that big a drop
    I also am not convinced that is safer

mu3266
    Free Member

More a case of stopping the next unsuspecting soul of making the same mistake and possibly suffering a more serious injury in my opinion, good effort Hoops.

matt_outandabout

Now that is some dodgy fencing….

Spin
    Free Member

It was rideable before. Just not by you. 😀

sputnik
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

grahamt1980

If you are going to ride down a trail with steps then you are going to have to expect that some might be a lot bigger than others. Hence why if you are the tiniest bit concerned you look first

brant
    Free Member

April Fool, right?

(EDIT :: I am assuming there was a big hole where you’ve filled it in? Even so… it’s ridiculous and an incumbrance to other trail users)

banks
    Free Member

Thanks! I’ll still end up otb tomorrow morn though

carlphillips
    Free Member

spin +1

what is that, about all of 8″ of full on gnarrrrrr ?

garage-dweller

Definitely rideable without rocks.

But it looks like a close to wheel size hole under those rocks, which if you had a nervous moment might knock you off, if you were just bump-bumping your way down.

Not sure I’d (have been bothered to) fill it in but get why the OP has.

HermanShake
    Free Member

😆

therealhoops
    Free Member

Just for scale, that’s a 10″ thick piece of timber. The left hole was caused by crossers going up. The remains of a mudguard and peg are still in the ditch to the left were one tried to come down recently. Looks like they did the same as me. Anyway, the gradient is evil and full of marble size stones. Once you get going there’s not much hope of stopping to size anything up, especially at night. This was only my second trip down post-sanitisation.
    I didn’t bother filling the right hole in [sniggers] as there’s no way you could possibly turn in that sharp. Pic makes it look lame.

Spin
    Free Member

So not an April fool?

Shame on you then!

nbt

I think you;ll find that the trail in question has been built to the highest standards and meets all the requirements necessary, your handiwork might caue dmagae to someone’s property or injury to someone and thus leaves you open to litigation

Stockport council really are a bunch of arses, I told them the original work was rubbbish and wouldn’t last more than two or three years – it lasted two, and this replacement work has lasted months not years.

Hasn’t stopped me riding it though, I even cleaned that on the tandem

therealhoops
    Free Member

nbt – I hear what you’re saying 🙂
    I’ve ridden down it for ages (as well you know). The “highest standards” left me with a lot of hurty bits and a lost bike computer…who do I sue 🙂
    I much pref’d the way it used to be. Like you say, give it a winter or two.

MrSmith
    Free Member

have you thought about some bigger forks?
    something like these:

samuri
    Free Member

That’s horrific.

bellys
    Free Member

There was a lad stuck on his crosser motor bike thing about 2 weeks ago when I was coming down that way, the tool just sat there with the back wheel spinning on the step. Told him to get off the trail and try using the road but he did not give 2hoots. I told the local plod but they did not seem to care.

timmys

The left hole was caused by crossers going up.

Those crazy frite-eating, lycra-wearing bastards!

marcusmtb
    Free Member

You clearly need an Orange 5.

Frankers
    Free Member

You wouldn’t notice it on a 29er, apparently they roll things that throw you over the bars of a 26er

Aristotle
    Free Member

That’s vandalism that is! MTBer trail sanitisation at Mellor, whatever next?

Even NBT can manage it on a tandem -Presumably Mrs NBT was at the front.

andyl
    Free Member

would it not have been better to scrape up a load of the smaller stones and fill the hole properly and beat it down with a big rock?

Those rocks do not look stable and could cause an accident or a walker to break an ankle walking down there at dusk.

therealhoops
    Free Member

andyl – probably, but this seemed a quicker method. Most of the small stones were too busy rolling back down the hill. I was thinking about what NBT said and he’s right [faints] last time SMBC did this within a week there was a vast pile of stones at the bootom of the hill like some random gravel trap. The muppet Bellys saw probably started it all by digging a trench with their back wheel.

Bunnyhop

Aristotle – I was on the back, screeming like a banshee, I’m sure you could hear me from your house.

When riding solo I always aim for the right hand side. The steps down there have indeed been ruined by crossers and water erosion.

As usual all the riders who don’t know this trail will think it’s easy peasy to ride that particular section, however myself and 2 other girl riders have both narrowly missed otb moments recently. It’s quite steep and gets very loose in dry weather.

tpbiker
    Free Member

you can actually see its quite steep from the angle of the fence on the left, so I agree its deceptive. Would argue its not the best bit of trail repair however, just another type of danger introduced to replace another..

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Where is this Mellor Cross anyway, looks to me the natural line wood take you over to the fence side anyway coming around the bend 😕

Bunnyhop

Mellor Cross is above the Roman Lakes at Marple. Or, not too far from New Mills, Derbyshire.
    This trail starts at the side of the Mellor and Townscliff golf course (highest tee). So from Mellor cross it’s a whizz down the lane, either to the right a cheeky droppy cut through, or slighty left takes you down other steps and onto the steps shown in the photo.

The fence is onto a field of a local farmer, so not an option. (unless you fly over it by accident).

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

That’s one hell of a gnarly rock garden.(sorry) 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

So the murdered that lovely bit of Singletrack then. The loose stones made the turns lovely to drift.

nbt

Well, I’m not getting Hoops to do any DIY for me, that “repair” job has gone already, the rocks were about 15 yards down the trail when we went past an hour or so ago…

therealhoops
    Free Member

🙁

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I did a GOOD thing and I have the pic to prove it.’ is closed to new replies.