• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poah.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I ballsed up – 2 forks coming from Europe ££
  • scandal42
    Free Member

I am building a new full susser and by some miracle I have managed to source all components including a full 12 speed group-set in less than 3 weeks. In fact it’s all sitting here ready.

The only thing I struggled with was a fork. I decided I would take the tax hit and import from Germany so ordered a Manitou Mezzer, however I received an email saying it wasn’t actually in stock even though it was showing…..never mind I’ll cancel, email sent.

My back up was a Yari from another retailer which I will put on the hardtail and move my Pike ultimate to the new build, it came into stock(1 unit) and I snaffled it, it’s on the way and should arrive this week…….yay

Just received a message from 1st retailer saying they have posted the Mezzer….FFS

So whilst most folk can’t even source a fork at the minute I’m going to be pumped for two sets of import tax and fees and have a fork I don’t **** need.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Congrats on a new and pretty unique style of stealth ad. Like it.

🤗

VanHalen

if one fork is 150mm i may well be interested for the right price…

seadog101

I’m looking for various drivetrain parts, how did the tax, VAT, import fees etc etc work out for you? I’ve tried to find some advice on the great Google, but I just find it vauge and contradictory at best.

hooli

If you had to choose a problem, that’s a good one to have. A bit like having too much money or being too good looking.

kayak23

Is it ‘a fork’ or ‘a forks’, a pair of fork, or pairs of fork, two fork, fork-i or variforkal? 🤔

letmetalktomark

@kayak23 ….. I lost my coffee over variforkal 😂😂😂😂😂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve tried to find some advice on the great Google, but I just find it vauge and contradictory at best.

That’s not the advice at fault. It’s the implementation which is absolutely “vague and contradictory at best”.

The rules are pretty simple, duty at whatever the appropriate % is (6% on 87149990, but it’ll depend on what it’s declared as by the shipper), VAT at 20% on the full value inc duty and shipping.

Under £135 this should be paid by the dispatcher, over that it’s down to you. It’ll be taken care of by the shipping company on your behalf, and they’ll charge you for that.

In practice you may pay nothing, some or all of that. The goods might be misdeclared and you might end up paying 1% or 101% duty etc, which is why the advice, broadly nothing more than anecdote, is vague and contradictory.

It will eventually settle down but for now its a lottery.

thols2

You obviously need another frame to put the spare forks on.

5plusn8
    Free Member

It will eventually settle down but for now its a lottery.

Prior to brexit it was a lottery coming from the USA, I wonder if anything has changed? I think the lottery will go on for ever.

tuboflard

You obviously need another frame to put the spare forks on

I did this with a slightly too long dropper post once. Cost me over £1k to build a bike around it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Prior to brexit it was a lottery coming from the USA, I wonder if anything has changed? I think the lottery will go on for ever.

Nah, rising sea levels will fix it.

Northwind

dangeourbrain

In practice you may pay nothing, some or all of that. The goods might be misdeclared and you might end up paying 1% or 101% duty etc, which is why the advice, broadly nothing more than anecdote, is vague and contradictory.

Yep. In fact the european import chaos has also disrupted rest-of-world imports, presumably the resources are now stretched thinner so more stuff is coming through unchecked. (it’s always been a lottery but going by my own personal imports maybe 20% as much stuff is getting charged now compared to pre-brexit, because we’ve taken back control.

poah
    Free Member

take the mezzer (starbike by any chance?) and refuse the yari. Will get sent back to retailer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I ballsed up – 2 forks coming from Europe ££’ is closed to new replies.