Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I assume I am not the only one to find this slightly concerning
  • poly
    Free Member

Which bit of that concerns you most?  That a country decided to provide guidance to its population? That that country was Sweden who traditionally are not a target for conflict? Or that you feel under prepared as a UK target?

many countries provide guidance to their population like this; the uk did in the 1980s, we still have anti terror related media messaging.

im more concerned that since the Cold War we have reduced our local resilience to either natural or aggressive threats than I am worried about the threats themselves, if that makes sense.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Every train I get on tells me to call in everything I see, public information is a good thing. I know people prefer to be told everything is OK and all that but it’s just not the case.

kerley
    Free Member

I know how to cross the road, I know not to go swimming in the sea in heavy seas, I know to hide under a table come the nuclear war and I know not to get into the back of a van with a kiddy fiddler, no matter what sweets he has (maybe an exception for strawberry bon bons) – all thanks to public information

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

leffeboy

I remember the radio play version of that, 35 years ago I think.  Mesmerising

DezB
    Free Member

I was reading about “Threads” today – I think it’s just been released on DVD (yay! Popcorn! Beers! Threads partay!) ahem, sorry, yeah maybe a Swede saw it and got a bit nervy.

maccruiskeen

the uk did in the 1980s,

and again in 2004

maccruiskeen

jam-bo

I don’t live in sweden

I’m not from sweden

i have no Swedish friends

i have no plans to visit sweden

should I be concerned?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I live in Sweden Jam bo and I thought we were mates!

We haven’t received this yet. Quite looking forward to it…

CountZero

They’re closer to Russia than we are, I understand their concerns.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Which bit of that concerns you most?

A country very near Russia – with its recent history of killing ex-spies and annexing countries – feeling threatened enough to issue such a leaflet, as well as reintroduce conscription and increase military spend.

im more concerned that since the Cold War we have reduced our local resilience to either natural or aggressive threats than I am worried about the threats themselves, if that makes sense.

Yes, I get you. Isolationist elements such as the European rise of the far-right, the increase in xenophobia, Brexit and Trump also increase that reduction because we’re too busy squabbling among ourselves; we’ve been divided. The fact that there’s a strong possibility Russia has influenced a lot of this only increases my concern.

To use a contemporary simile I feel a little like I’m watching GoT: the threat is in the unexplored, misunderstood cold, yet here below the wall we are fighting over borders.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t live in sweden

I’m not from sweden

i have no Swedish friends

i have no plans to visit sweden

should I be concerned?

😆

That really is up to you.

jam-bo

I live in Sweden Jam bo and I thought we were mates!

Well it it appears I was mistaken. I’m now suitably concerned.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I assume I am not the only one to find this slightly concerning’ is closed to new replies.