Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 834 total)
  • "I asked God to help me"
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

Has anyone on here had a near death experience and how did they deal with it? Not picking a fight ,just interested.

Not near death, by any stretch of the imagination, but I hope I’m never as poorly as I was 18 months ago until the day I die

Junkyard – Member

You are not good with evidence are you
    Last time an aethist knocked on your door to convert you? Do we hold services every Sunday for the flock?
    Get articles published in the papers anbout our special place in society? What utter BS [Your point is probably true for STW bit not the world in general]

I’m sorry for my utter BS, I can’t really understand your post that well, THIS IS NOT A DIG AT YOU, BUT ON SOME DAYS MY BRAIN SEEMS TO NOT LIKE SENTENCES PROPERLY.

but to clarify
    1. I’m not religious at all
    2. I don’t consider myself an Atheist
    3. I am probably an Atheist

My observations come from that I have, in the past had discussions with people who have turned being not religious almost into a religion in itself. It’s ridiculous. THIS IS JUST AN OBSERVATION, NOT AN ATTACK ON ANYONE ON HERE.

In truth, I just don’t care enough either way. I still think that it’s fantastic if someone can allay their fears with a belief that strong, and on the whole, we should be pleased for them. I’d like to bet there’s not a single self professed ‘Atheist’ on here, that will sit by the side of religious loved one, on their death bed and tell them that they are wrong, I’m sure you’ll take comfort from their faith instead. I know I would.

Cougar

I’d like to bet there’s not a single self professed ‘Atheist’ on here, that will sit by the side of religious loved one, on their death bed and tell them that they are wrong, I’m sure you’ll take comfort from their faith instead. I know I would.

I think you’ve bundled two separate things here as though they’re the same thing. They’re not. Let me elaborate.

I’d like to bet there’s not a single self professed ‘Atheist’ on here, that will sit by the side of religious loved one, on their death bed and tell them that they are wrong

Being atheist, even militantly so, does not override things like compassion (despite what some theists might have you believe). Someone trying to engage a loved one on their deathbed into a theological argument in order to take away something which is helping them, however misguided their belief might be, has issues. That’s not atheism, it’s cruelty.

By the same argument, any priests visiting me on my death bed seeking an eleventh hour conversion can sod right off.

However,

I’m sure you’ll take comfort from their faith instead. I know I would.

I know I wouldn’t. I might take comfort in them being at peace, but I wouldn’t derive comfort directly from their faith, that’s just… odd, it implies that although I’m atheist I’m just in denial and secretly do believe.

crikey
    Free Member

I’d like to bet there’s not a single self professed ‘Atheist’ on here, that will sit by the side of religious loved one, on their death bed and tell them that they are wrong, I’m sure you’ll take comfort from their faith instead. I know I would.

As above you are mixing up two things.

As it happens, I have sat by the side of religious people, who were dying, and talked about their belief and god and my atheism. It’s not about telling them that they are wrong; that would be as offensive as someone trying to convert me to religion because I was dying.

The ‘No atheists in foxholes’ business is cobblers too; dying people often have no time or inclination for any religious stuff; they often reject it outright at that point.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I will wager you will find a large number of believers who will pray for atheists who have asked them not to and I assume on the death bed too.
    they will then bury them where they [ the living person] has chosen in a religious service that gives them comfort.

I am pretty sure that even an STW big Hitter /Whoppit [ no offence Whoppit you are just our most passionate member ] would not argue with someone on their death bed

Cougar

I will wager you will find a large number of believers who will pray for atheists who have asked them not to

I don’t think I’d ask them not to. The may be “praying for me” but really, they’re praying for themselves, it gives them comfort to think they’re helping. If makes not a jot of difference to me, and it makes them feel better. What do I gain by asking them not to?

Funerals aren’t for the benefit of the dead. They’re for those left behind. When I’m dead you can cremate me and use me to grit the path for what difference it makes.

crikey
    Free Member

…and when people who are ostensibly religious realise that I’m not, they sometimes relax and stop pretending; you’d be surprised by some of the things I’ve heard regarding faith and religion.

loum
    Free Member

rogerthecat – Member
    What is wrong with live and let live. He has his beliefs as many do. He is doing no harm.
    Wow! You need to read a little more. Belief and religion have been used as control mechanisms to predicate a war against other religions/faiths/belief systems throughout history – does the Holocaust ring any bells?
    POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

It seems quite rude how roger’s been ignored and had to wait 7 hours for his reward.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Mucho ta for the award, I’d like to thank my parents, my teachers, my family, STW Forum and the Third Reich for making it all possible, and above all, God for his unseen and unnoticed hand in all things for making this happen. 😀

LimboJimbo

Just my view….
    I have no faith although my wife was brought up Catholic and does. It has never really been an issue in our relationship and we rarely discuss theology although we share many values with regard to being good human beings. Last month our son was born by emergency c-section and as he came out we quickly realised something was very wrong. He had no heartbeat and I watched while the crash team did eight minutes of CPR, during which time I saw a staff member check for a trace and solemnly shake his head. As I sat there helplessly sobbing with fear, I realised my wife was silently praying. The doctors and nurses kick started our little man and he was whisked away to the neonatal ward to be cooled. Nothing about this has changed the beliefs of either me or my wife. She was massively grateful to the staff that saved him and I can well believe Muamba could be grateful to both his God as well as those who helped him.

Now, I am well aware of the doubtless misery and oppression that has been carried out in the name of organised religion, but I also believe that faith in all it’s forms can give great comfort to many in what is for them, a cruel difficult world. To sneer and belittle that source of comfort seems to be, to me at least, somewhat inhuman. Maybe those of us that believe in ‘live and let live’ need to shout as loudly as the religious zealots and the militant atheists.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Well said that man!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just because it’s comforting, that doesn’t mean it’s true.

LimboJimbo

Just because it’s true, doesn’t make it comforting.

donsimon
    Free Member

I guess that that settles this little argument. 😛

Cougar

Looks like he’s waiting for a second coming.

Drac

The only slightly frustrating thing about this is the amount of credit the cardiologist gets, there’s not anything more he could have done that the paramedics who helped him. They get very few mentions though but that’s normal, everyone knows that we only transport just check any media reports.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member

Well said that man!

And yet again I’m forced to agree with Zulu-Eleven.

Well put LimboJimbo – particularly liked “Maybe those of us that believe in ‘live and let live’ need to shout as loudly as the religious zealots and the militant atheists.”

And I’m very glad to hear that Little LimboJimbo didn’t end up in Limbo 8)

CountZero

Has an atheist ever knocked on your door and tried to foist his non belief on you?

Perhaps a visit to Tibet might give the perspective of a religion being heavily persecuted by atheists, and maybe handing out leaflets on behalf of Falun Dafa/Falun Gong in the middle of Bejing might change your view about radical athieism.
    Just a thought…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to where and when these “militant atheists” have been “shouting loudly”?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….handing out leaflets on behalf of Falun Dafa/Falun Gong

I have never understood why the plight of Falun Gong in China is so comprehensively ignored by the British media and politicians. For whatever reason the persecution of Falun Gong doesn’t pull the heartstrings of bourgeois guardian reading liberals in the way the Dalai Lama does.

Thanks for raising awareness of a highly neglected and yet extremely persecuted people CountZero.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Now, I am well aware of the doubtless misery and oppression that has been carried out in the name of organised religion, but I also believe that faith in all it’s forms can give great comfort to many in what is for them, a cruel difficult world. To sneer and belittle that source of comfort seems to be, to me at least, somewhat inhuman.

I am not following the logic that means we accept this lie utterly unproven conjecture and the misery and oppression that comes with it because some people get comfort from believing in fairies.

Glad they pulled through had something not quite as harrowing but similar with my second.
    EDIT:
    Good point /retort re China and other Communist regimes

The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to where and when these “militant atheists” have been “shouting loudly”?

So… that’ll be a no, then. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Rabid STW atheism is almost as bad as organised religion.

I believe Jaladdin Rumi the Sufi Ppoet said it best for me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Rabid”, eh? Goodness, has it finally leapt the channel, then? Who has been bitten? I thnk we should be told.

Must be frothing at the mourth as well as doing all that militant shouting…

LimboJimbo

So… that’ll be a no, then.

Actually, I was having my tea.

Perhaps shouting isn’t the right expression if you want to take me literally. I suppose it’s the aggressive and belittling attitude of some, particularly on here, about the personal beliefs of others. I believe that any actions should be justifiable but beliefs are personal and should be treated with respect.

RustySpanner

I believe that any actions should be justifiable but beliefs are personal and should be treated with respect.

What, all beliefs?
    Let’s say:
    All bald people are evil and should be killed.
    Female genital mutilation is justified.
    Paedophilia is perfectly acceptable.
    A man should be allowed to beat & rape his wife.
    White people are superior to any other ethnic group and the laws of our society should reflect this.

Those kind of beliefs?
    They should be treated with respect should they?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….but beliefs are personal and should be treated with respect.

You’re gonna get people like Woppit frothing at the mouth with talk like that.

You’ve been warned.

Cougar

Respect is earned, not demanded, I’m afraid.

Doubly so when it comes to beliefs, given half a chance most people will believe any old nonsense. Should we respect a belief in homeopathy over chemotherapy, Darwinism aside?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

You’re gonna get people like Woppit frothing at the mouth with talk like that.

Wasn’t there a thread about some people being angry a while back?

So we have had an atheist matins period this morning. Is the renewed, high level of activity an atheist vespers/compline? 😉

(ps, I am not left footed, just enjoying the fun here!!)

RustySpanner

A belief is nothing more than an opinion.

It’s human nature to discuss and riducule belief and opinion.
    If you don’t want your beliefs challenged, then don’t share them with anyone.

LimboJimbo

All bald people are evil and should be killed.
    Female genital mutilation is justified.
    Paedophilia is perfectly acceptable.
    A man should be allowed to beat & rape his wife.
    White people are superior to any other ethnic group and the laws of our society should reflect this.

Whoa there! Were we not talking about religion? If I’ve missed a whole other part of this thread where the above was being justified then, apologies. This is generally why I limit my posts on here to trying to offer advice or weak attempts at whimsy. I realise that this is an emotive subject, but I can’t imagine many would make the leap from espousing freedom of religious belief to the justification of rape.

I will clamber down off my fluffy, liberal high horse now as Silent Witness is starting.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can’t imagine many would make the leap from espousing freedom of religious belief to the justification of rape.

You don’t often click on religious threads then ?

derekrides
    Free Member

In answer to the OP, I’m not annoyed by that I’m sure the guy is equally thankful to those who he believes Gods hand guided.

When I’m not trolling atheists, ( in truth I believe them to be as bad as theists) I’m probably best described as an Agnostic or maybe a kind of Agnostic theist.

However more than that I believe fundamentally to live and let live, if this guy has this faith then great and I’m glad it helped him even though he’s a bloody footballing fairy, maybe it’ll change the way some of those Godless heathens that watch that stupid game week in week out in between beating each other up, think.

As to the Guy earlier in the thread that asked about near death experiences, I’ve had that and i have to say came away from it very enlightened, but not in any man with Beard sitting on throne with harp players surrounding him, way, one day I plan to write it all down but don’t, for fear of being defined as even more of a nut job than I currently am.

I believe we need faith in something other than man made guidance, so we’d have to invent some form of after life retribution for evil bastards that would rule us. Whatever, the threads not about wether or what we believe in, it’s the right of a footballer to believe he was helped by God and thousands have died to protect that right, so hardly our place to question it.

LimboJimbo

First and indeed, last time Ernie. Anyway, what tyres for for the road to Damascus?

pitduck
    Free Member

god(note small g)is made up,read the bible and THINK for 10 seconds,you’ll see 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

derekrides – Member

However more than that I believe fundamentally to live and let live

Except of course those who fall foul of Dereks Law………..those you want to gun down in the street like you would a dog.

Still, it’s nice to see that you have your empathy hat on tonight Derek.

Cougar

This is generally why I limit my posts on here to trying to offer advice or weak attempts at whimsy.

If you want an honest suggestion, I’d say carry on not limiting your posts, but try not to take it personally if someone disagrees.

In this case, we’re looking at reductio ad absurdum. Ie, you’ve made a statement that beliefs should be respected; someone has exaggerated that idea to provide examples why this shouldn’t automatically be the case. It’s not an attack on you, it’s supposed to demonstrate (albeit in a blunt manner) why that someone would disagree.

Cougar

I’m probably best described as an Agnostic or maybe a kind of Agnostic theist.

By whom?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I believe that any actions should be justifiable but beliefs are personal and should be treated with respect.

Really? Respect these sorts of people with their religious beliefs?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Your last pic made me chuckle TJ…….”Women deserve better than abortion” “Hurt by abortion? Call….” Outrageous !!! 🙂

RustySpanner

LimboJimbo – Member

……but I can’t imagine many would make the leap from espousing freedom of religious belief to the justification of rape.

I didn’t.

You said….

beliefs are personal and should be treated with respect.

I’m just wondering whether you mean all beliefs, or just ones relating to the supernatural?

If not all, which ones are exempt from question, analysis and ridicule?

Just interested, that’s all.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 834 total)

The topic ‘"I asked God to help me"’ is closed to new replies.