Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • i am now a 1 bike only bloke.
  • ton

anyone else in this strange situation?

for the 1st time in 20 years i am down to 1 bike. but i am unsure if it is the ideal 1 bike.

epicyclo

Of course it’s not the ideal bike.

It’s an N bike, and everyone knows N bikes get lonely and want you to get a N+1…

l0key
    Free Member

They’re social creatures, in Switzerland it’s illegal to own only 1.

Or is that Guinea pigs, either way same applies.

jobro
    Free Member

Presumably, this by chance rather than design?

ctk
    Free Member

What bike is it?

ton

What bike is it?

a huge surly ecr.

Presumably, this by chance rather than design?

by choice. but the tourer i just got rid off suffered from terrible toe overlap.

singlespeedstu

I know you’ve been questioning your self on here a bit recently but one bike when money or space isn’t a problem?
    Maybe one for touring/ bimbling and one for non bimbling/touring?

kerley
    Free Member

I have always been a one bike person with the exception where I owned a road bike and a BMX at same time about 15 years ago. I just ride the one bike for everything road, gravel, off road and I prefer to have one bike to maintain, never wondering whether I should have brought my other bike etc,.
    I also only have one guitar so I am clearly not normal.

kayak23

Feel your pain op.

I sold my spare motorcycle today so only have the one now 😐

Still have four push bikes mind…

matt_outandabout

I’ve rarely been anything else. Any second bike has been a utility / commuter bike.

imnotverygood

Nope. I’m afraid I can’t quite grasp the concept. It’s a bit like quantum physics. I understand what the words mean but I can’t really imagine it for real.

geex
    Free Member

sounds like you only do one sort of cycling so fair enough.

ton

sounds like you only do one sort of cycling so fair enough.

slow cycling…….. ;o)

wordnumb
    Free Member

Couldn’t do it m’self. One proper bike and one bike I’ll leave locked up outside the pub minimum.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m guessing it won’t be long until you have bought something else.

sharkattack

I’ve only got one proper mountain bike. I don’t own a downhill bike for the first time ever as I finally accepted I just don’t need one. Plus, the every day bike is now so versatile it hardly matters.

I’ve got a really nice jump bike. But that doesn’t count. It’s only got 26″ wheels so it’s obsolete.

I do miss having a hardtail.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

do you have one pair of shoes too? Its the only way to sell the idea of N+1 to the other half 🙂

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I have always been a one bike person with the exception where I owned a road bike and a BMX at same time about 15 years ago. I just ride the one bike for everything road, gravel, off road and I prefer to have one bike to maintain, never wondering whether I should have brought my other bike etc,.
    I also only have one guitar so I am clearly not normal.

You’re not alone: I have one bike (a Nukeproof Mega) and one guitar (a Telecaster). My business partner has over 40 guitars – mainly vintage and custom shop Strats and the odd Les Paul, but I’ve never felt the need for more than one.

I sometimes ponder getting other bikes, but I only really like riding techie stuff and jumps and the Mega is great on that stuff. I’m not interested in riding on the road or anything XC, where the Mega doesn’t feel so good.

I am, of course, discounting the multiple bikes from various eras that are sitting in my parents’ garage – the anicent Dawes tourer that I bought for getting to uni and back in the 90s, my old Merlin titanium that’s so steep and short it’s a wonder I’m still here, a mid-90s Cannondale and an old Rockhopper with a Specialized suspension fork (a rebadged Rockshox I believe).

JP

JP

geex
    Free Member

I’ve got a really nice jump bike. But that doesn’t count. It’s only got 26″ wheels so it’s obsolete.

I do miss having a hardtail.

Eh?

sharkattack

Eh?

I mean a proper hardtail mountain bike. Not a tiny single speed jump bike.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Yep,…. One bike, and that’s a 26er.
    How many can you ride at the same time?
    That’s right…. One.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I have two, mainly so that I have a spare in case one needs some work. I think having any more would be a bit stressful as I’d worry I wasn’t riding one of them enough.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

One bike you poor man hope it gets better soon and you get a couple more fair play too you I could never manage with only one,have two commuters alone the rest.

singlespeedstu

choppersquad.
    How many pairs of pants do you own?

Denis99
    Free Member

I’m with you Ton.

Had owned multiple bikes n the past.

Which ever one I choose always seemed to be pondering , what if I had chosen the other bike(s).

As Lance said, it’s not about the bike.

Now have a full on tourer and couldn’t be happier.

bonesetter
    Free Member

This is not a thread without

P-I-C-S

sirromj

I was told I wasn’t allowed more than two, but now have four.

geex
    Free Member

tiny single speed DJ bikes are proper.

funkmasterp

I’ve had just the one for about five years now, just not the same one. If I had the cash I’d have another. Something that could cover commuting, road riding, mild off road, general messing about and family bimbles. Saying that the Flare can be used for all that, but it’s nice to look at other bikes.

cookeaa

I’ve gotten down to just one MTB, a 29er HT and it’s sufficient, of course there are three other curly bared bikes that belong to me, and I get to live vicariously through my kids/wife’s bikes too now, so actually I get to maintain eight bicycles… Which is too many if I’m being entirely honest.

Good on you OP for managing to scale back…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

One bike, how often do you ride and is it always the same terrain.

I normally pick the bike for the riding I intend to do that day so never think I wish I was on n+7.

29er hardtail, 29er Xc, 27.5 full sus trail and a drop handle gravel.
    All I could ever need, err no.. n+1

kerley
    Free Member

One bike, how often do you ride and is it always the same terrain.

I ride every Saturday and Sunday all year round and also a couple of times in the week when evenings are lighter.
    Terrain is road (30%), gravel (60%), off road (10%) which is why my one bike is biased towards the road rather end rather than MTB

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I only have one bike and that’s a 26er.

…but I do have a border terrier, a log burner and work in IT so i’m still pretty much Singletrack. 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘i am now a 1 bike only bloke.’ is closed to new replies.