Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • I am in a LOT of trouble!!
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just ordered a Charge Plug 2 on the never never. (£450 – bargain!)

Anybody got any good strategies for appeasing the long haired general?

Oh aye, wot mudguards for 42mm tyres, please?

Garry_Lager

Is it black? She won’t notice. Been here years, that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Errrr….bright blue. Plus she’s not (that) daft.

Trimix
    Free Member

A good mate of mine had so many bikes his missus couldn’t tell if one was a new one or just on of the original ones.

They were never all together so she didn’t count them.

jekkyl

she can spend the same (£200 wasn’t it? 😉 ) on something she wants.

lunge

Just grow and pair and tell her. Yes, I bought a new bike, yes, I can afford it, yes, it is a lovely colour.

I genuinely don’t get the hiding bikes thing. If you can afford it then it’s fine, if you can’t then you’re an idiot.

nickc

“Look at my new bike, isnt it great”

In the style of an excited 6 year old…

unklehomered
    Free Member

You sold that old black one that was at the back, used some spare parts and bought the blue frame with the money from the sale.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Just grow and pair and tell her. Yes, I bought a new bike, yes, I can afford it, yes, it is a lovely colour.

I expect the OP’s post was meant as a bit of light hearted japery.

Anyway the answer is you won it on the stw monthly raffle. You know the one where they raffle off the review bikes to forum members

twisty
    andybrad

my liteville (new frame, pikes ks lev , tyres front wheel syntace bars etc etc) was “swapped” and 350 quid for my old bike.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member

Anyway the answer is you won it on the stw monthly raffle.

Is there more than one prize as I win that every month…

dumbbot
    Free Member

yeah just MTFU and tell her “it’s my money, I can spend it however I like”

honesty is the best policy in relationships.

*unless it isn’t

philjunior
    Free Member

I have enough bikes that my wife could never tell if I got a new one. She even gets some of them mixed up with each other.

Still, I’m just honest with her, she uses it in arguments but then I remind her how much I pay for the car (which I don’t commute in)

LAT

There are ways round these things, you just have to be a little creative.

A friend of mine changed his stiffy for a Hustler. When challenged about it by his then fiancé, who he referred to as Gadaffi or simply the Colonel, he told her that he’d only bought some back suspension. Fortunately, they never married.

Someone my dad knew bought a new Rolls Royce every other year in the same colour and with the same number plate so that his wife would never realise it was a new car.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Don’t volunteer the price paid, just make a point of how much you saved.

jamiep
    Free Member

Anyway, SKS Chromoplastic 50mm

wwaswas

thestabiliser
    Free Member

She will get a monk on, but I’ve just got a new job and will NEED it for my commute so she won’t be that cross. Hopefully. At least not for that long. And I’m away on a course next week so even she can’t launch crockery all the way to Darlington.

Chromos, 50mm, check.

connect2

My wife smokes and I don’t, so I justify my purchases in cigarettes

Her – “Is that a new xxxx?”

Me – “Yeah, only cost x packets of fags and it’ll last a lot longer”

She still hasn’t found a comeback!

moranphotography
    Free Member

Connect2, thats just genius! Almost wish my mrs smoked now lol

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Where did you get it from for £450?

cloudnine
    Free Member

On the scale of bike purchases to trouble and strife.. I’d say you are pretty much safe. If she has any idea how much bikes actually cost She’ll have a relatively minor huff just to keep you on your toes..

gonzy
    Free Member

And I’m away on a course next week so even she can’t launch crockery all the way to Darlington.

it’ll be going on Ebay then… 😆

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@moran photography Wiggle, also Ubyk and winstanleys have them at the same price

cloudnine, I’m notoriously tight and most of my gear is second hand/stolen off incapacitated children. This has lead to an expectation being built that i can magic bikes out of my bum for nowt. I have been foolish allowing this misconception to persist, I grant you.

bigjim

this is one of those times that one dost “go south”

nwmlarge
    Free Member

just realised it’s an 8 speed, wtf is that about!

ste_t
    Free Member

Thanks OP.

“What are you looking at?”
    “You don’t want to know….”

Ordered from Winstanleys. Anybody want to buy a Giant Defy 3 by any chance? It’s blue aswell, don’t expect she’ll tell the difference

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aye, made me wrinkle my nose a bit but will get a second hand 10-11 spd shifter/mech and a fresh cassette when the drive train is ready for replacing

user-removed
    Free Member

My dad has spent his whole life buying vintage cars. Rileys, Wolsleys and Triumphs all look similar enough that none of us ever knew which was the latest addition. This plan worked right up until he bought a bus.

amedias
    Free Member

just realised it’s an 8 speed, wtf is that about!

durable, reliable, muck resistant and with consumables that cost peanuts?

sounds perfect for a commuter 🙂

slowbloke
    Free Member

I managed to justify the purchase of a Stache last night with the words “It’ll save my other new bike getting ruined in the winter mud” – luckily she’s a cyclist too so understood perfectly. She did however say that it is now her turn to buy a new bike though 😆

duckman

In the now long gone Cycleworld in Arbroath, one of the regulars used to keep his bike on the shop floor…Got it really cheap as an ex demo eventually.

timc
    Free Member

just tell her you bought a new bike because she is the only bitch in your house 8)

timc
    Free Member

ste_t – Member
    Thanks OP.

“What are you looking at?”
    “You don’t want to know….”

Ordered from Winstanleys. Anybody want to buy a Giant Defy 3 by any chance? It’s blue aswell, don’t expect she’ll tell the difference

What size is the Defy?

FOG

My wife claims to have no knowledge of or interest in bikes, yet can spot a new bike or bike accessory at 100 yards.
    However when I bought my newie a couple of months ago she merely said ,’Well if you can afford it….’
    She’s having an affair!

russyh
    Free Member

I know the feeling, I am currently living in shit street. i sold my roadbike on ebay and whilst i agreed a collection with the guy i purchased my next bike. Wife was ok with that, but in true ebay style the bloke has disappeared. Wife has hit the roof (its my fault obviously) So if anyone wants a 52cm Cannondale Supersix please get in touch!!!!!! Good news is my new bike rides like a dream

Moses

Oh, a stealth advert.
    What model, what year, how much and where ? 😉

flaps
    Free Member

Do you lot have ‘his’ and ‘hers’ bank accounts?
    We only have a joint one so any sudden movement of cash would be obvious 🙁
    I’m currently eyeing up a FS at about £45 per month, she’s not impressed as i’ve only just literally this week finished paying off my old bike.

kerley
    Free Member

me and my wife are very open with each on what we waste our money on and neither of us cares. I don’t even need to tell her how much a bike cost because it doesn’t matter.

However, I would NEVER have a joint bank account as only account. She is a financial disaster

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘I am in a LOT of trouble!!’ is closed to new replies.