Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hydration waist pack?
  • FOG

Just read the Evoc thread but I am looking specifically for a hydration hip pack and the Evoc one looks expensive. At the moment it seems to be between the Seral and the Repack which can be had for around £50. Any others I have missed? Don’t need anything too huge, if it’s a big day in winter I would take a backpack.
    Ps not one with bottle pockets, tried that and it didn’t work for me.

reeksy

Whatever the Camelbak one is called. Works a treat for me.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve had a few but my favourite by far is the alpkit vora. It’s £30 but there’s 15% off this weekend with code eggstra15.

Vora 6L

That leaves you money to but a bladder although I use small bottles with mine.

confused58

I like the Dakine 5l pack

mrdobermann
    Free Member

I’ve had the Osprey one for a few years and was happy with it but the zip went in the end. Brought the camelbak one as a replacement it’s more compact but still enough room for what I take. Far more comfortable and doesn’t move around like the Osprey did. Imo the camelbak is much better.

DickBarton

Got the seral and it works…but I’m not after that much. Just water carrier with space for some tools and snacks.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

I have the camelback Repack LR 4.
    £52 off Amazon for the camo version.
    Much prefer using it to a big backpack.

Aidy
    Free Member

I like my Repack. I’ve not tried any others, though.

marsbarman
    Free Member

I had the CamelBak one and found that when the bladder was full it stuck out quite a way and caused it to flop out. I’ve since got the Bontrager one and the bladder is shaped much more like a lumbar support so sits very nicely against my back now.

chrismac

Another vote for the excellent alpkit one

donslow

I picked up one of these quite a while ago with the intention of getting a “better one” at a later date

Haven’t felt then need at all as yet, comfortable to wear to the point you forget it’s there, plenty of storage for essentials (probably room for more than the stock photo shows without getting uncomfortable or lumpy still) bladder included, mines still in great nick considering it’s my go to bag whenever I’m out and about

Mine normally holds…
    2x tubes
    Multi tool
    3x Tyre levers
    All in one plier type multi tool
    Co2 inflator and 2 spare bottles
    First aid kit
    Tube repair kits
    Tubeless repair kit
    Pump

And there’s always still more than enough room if needed after I’ve added keys, phone and snacks

They have gone up a bit in price since I bought one but still well worth the money I’d say

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/all-mountain-mtb-hydration-belt-4l-1-5l-water-black/_/R-p-309654

joebristol

I’ve got the repack – it’s pretty good without the bladder in it – far better than the OMM cheaper one I tried first. Fits snugly / doesn’t really loosen itself off / has plenty of room on it.

With the bladder in it and full to 1.5 litres it bounces a bit too much for my liking. I reckon they should have a longer thinner bladder in it that wraps round a bit but maybe that wouldn’t work as it starts to get a lower water level in it.

Going to try the Camelback skyline lr10 and see if it’s a good compromise between a hip pack and a full backpack. I like the idea of carrying the weight lower down as I get back problems where my lower back tightens as I’m riding (previously bulges discs) – and it seems to be worth with a full normal backpack.

BadlyWiredDog

I have the Seral and really like it, but I don’t really get on with the hydration reservoir – I don’t like having a tube sat there that could potentially come loose and get tangled up in moving parts etc. Funnily enough I was considering the Camelbak Skyline, used to have a Wingnut pack and that worked really well for sitting weight in the right place, but still being okay with a hydration reservoir, Skyline looks very similar in concept.

stevede
    Free Member

I really like my dakine hot laps 5L pack when i really need to use a pack (which I hate doing). But imo the bladder was terrible, the hose popped off so easily that I didn’t even bother taking it for a test ride. Luckily I had an old camelbak bladder that fit in perfectly from an old camelbak charge.

Northwind

I like my Repack. IMO it’s a pretty narrow niche between “wear a proper backpack” and “just take a bottle and a runner’s belt pack”, I definitely wouldn’t want anything bigger than the Repack.

Aidy
    Free Member

I have the Seral and really like it, but I don’t really get on with the hydration reservoir – I don’t like having a tube sat there that could potentially come loose and get tangled up in moving parts etc.

The Camelbak clip on the Repack really is a thing of genius. It’s never come loose on me unintentionally.

DickBarton

I’ve yet to drop the hose on my Seral – the magnet holds in place and as I’m leaning forward, the hose is hidden so doesn’t get grabbed. If I’m walking I reckon it could get pulled by snagging without much effort though, but never had the issue whilst biking.

gardentiger
    Free Member

I got a Repack 4l for around forty quid – there are bargains to be had if you look (or are willing to sell your sould and get it from Amazon).

It is excellent. I’ve had to rationalise and change what I carry a bit, but that is no bad thing in its own right.

StuE
    Free Member

I have tried a couple of waist packs (Hot laps 5l and Seral) and I don’t find them very comfortable, I’m thinking of buying a Wingnut 1.8 has a bit of a compromise
    https://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Wingnut-Hyper-1.8

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve yet to drop the hose on my Seral – the magnet holds in place and as I’m leaning forward, the hose is hidden so doesn’t get grabbed. If I’m walking I reckon it could get pulled by snagging without much effort though, but never had the issue whilst biking.

Apparently Osprey updated the magnetic clip, maybe you have a better version than me.

FOG

Lots of different options here. Some people seem to find any bumbag uncomfortable.
    I normally use an Aiguille alpine Contour bag which is very comfortable to the extent I find myself patting my back to see if it’s still there but has no hydration option so perhaps go for the cheapest, Decathlon, and see how that goes.

vondally
    Free Member

Had a few hydration hip bags, right from the camelback bandito which had\has a small shoulder sling- I have found with newer hip bags as you drink the water you need to tighten the bag or it movesaround. One daughter thinks the bontrager is the best she has used.

Wingnuts are brilliant, the 1.8 saw me round two whittons recommended but do not overfill and for some they had a bad reputation for poor quality. I had a early pack from them, enduro bought when in America and it was brilliant as where the hyper, no complaints. As they sit low they are unobtrusive….never gelled with the Skyline though.

I’ve got the Repack – echo what others have said with a full bladder. Other than that, I like it

gardentiger
    Free Member

One grumble about the Repack that I forgot about. Why the silly bladder neck handle? Sure, it makes filling the thing a bit easier, but it creates daft dead space. Another thing I did when I’d just got it and was running through packing layouts was to slip an additional pouch onto the webbing belt at the front. I wouldn’t put something solid and chunky in it, but if I was going on a bigger ride and was considering not taking that extra trail snack, I could always use that as a solution too.

gardentiger
    Free Member

And you can get the very last bit of water out of the Repack bladder if you vigorously blow then suck on the hose (no sniggering at the back). It obviously sounds a bit weird, but who cares if you get a couple of extra mouthfuls of water on a hot day.

Aidy
    Free Member

One grumble about the Repack that I forgot about. Why the silly bladder neck handle? Sure, it makes filling the thing a bit easier, but it creates daft dead space.

I turn it around the other way (so that the handle is against your back). Seems to give a bit more usable space in the main compartment.

gardentiger
    Free Member

I turn it around the other way (so that the handle is against your back).

Is the padding good enough that you don’t feel it jabbing you?

garethjw

I tried the first version of the Repack, and it would steadily loosen during a ride. I replaced it with the latest version, after reading the loosening issue had been fixed. And indeed it has. Watch out if you’re looking at a cheap older model, though!

Aidy
    Free Member

Is the padding good enough that you don’t feel it jabbing you?

Yep – doesn’t really feel any different whichever way around it is. It does mean the hose is a couple of cm shorter than ideal for comfortable drinking, but it makes the main compartment much more usable.

gardentiger
    Free Member

I’ll give it a try, ta!

anderzz
    Free Member

I have the dakine one linked earlier. It’s pretty good but I’ve realised I hate the fact these things just remind me about my fat old belly haha.

intheborders
    Free Member

I got the Evoc Pro a year or so ago and there is nothing whatsoever I find wrong about it, it just works. I use it for everything from a couple of hours to all-dayers and I can’t see myself going back to a rucksack type, in fact not used my Camelbak since buying it.

Yes it’s expensive, but it’s good vale IME.

I have found with newer hip bags as you drink the water you need to tighten the bag or it movesaround.

Earlier Evoc’s did this too, as a couple of riding pals have them, but the later one like I and other pals have fixed that.

BadlyWiredDog

As a quick postscript to my comment earlier up the thread about the magnetic bite-valve clip on my Osprey Seral 7 being a bit insecure. I gathered there was an updated clip on later packs, contacted Osprey customer service, who asked for an image of the belt magnet and are now sending me an upgraded version FOC. Top brand 🙂

joebristol

Just as an aside to this I received my new Camelbak Skyline lr10 this week. Looks and fits great – going to try it out on a decent ride this weekend. 3 litre bladder in it and more room for tools / maybe a small packable jacket than I thought there would be.

It’s like a hip pack on steroids, but with shoulder straps to stabilise it more. Leaves your upper back open and carries the weight low so I’m hoping it works nicely with the lower back pain I get wearing a normal backpack where the weight is higher.

Interestingly I used my repack for a ride this week with the bladder in it and it worked better than I remembered. It didn’t really bounce at all – I think it’s because I’ve lost 9kgs or so – it sat much nicer than it used to.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.