Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hybridising my mountain bike
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

To cut a long story short, I can’t do off road riding at the moment and have been prescribed gentle cycle path riding until my back is better.

Although I see this as a reason for a new bike, not everyone in my household agrees.

I don’t think Shorty’s are the ideal tyre for this so was wondering what would be a good 27.5” tyre for tarmac? And since someone has nicked the saddle, is there anything in that department that might be better for a sore and stiff back?

si77

Personal opinion for tyres would be whatever’s cheap on planetx/onone. Maybe needs additional consideration if you want tubeless.

Can’t help with saddle as too much rides on individual anatomy. Probably more important to make sure it’s positioned and angled correctly. Depending on how bad your condition is, it might be advisable to see a physio that does a bike fit service.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks, didn’t think about PX, I’ll look there

slackalice
    Free Member

Other than tyres and saddle, what consideration have you given to your riding position?

I ask because when I prolapsed C5 & C6 about 12 years ago, I was unable to tilt my neck back. Lots of spacers under the stem with higher angled stem to raise my shoulders to ensure I could still get out for gentle rides.

Your back injury may require different set up of course.

thegreatape
    Free Member

None at all so far, but I only discussed it with the osteopath today. Probably be a case of try it and see to start with. It the L ones I have problems with, the facet joints and a bit of a disc bulge, so I was advised that a slight lean forward to open them up should be ok for short rides to start with.

reluctantjumper

When I knackered my back after being doored on the commute I had to get a bike that was effectively 1 size too small so as to bring the handlebars close enough for me to take the pressure off my lower back. That would be my priority in your situation. Can you fit some higher rise bars with lots of backsweep?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

1. Get some big old bar ends *if* you need/want to lean forward, and angle them upwards somewhat, even 20 deg, will give you a few position options.

I can recommend these

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/procraft-i-grip-evo-bar-ends-l-37409

2. Of course if you OTOH need to get upright then as others stated, get swept bars and high rise stem. I just bought a 45deg stem and On One Jeff bars for my touring mtb This config is a good option for multiple positions and loop hold (with bar tape) allows a semi-aero position in addition to near upright.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s a Bird Zero with wide bars and a short stem so it’s not a particularly stretched out position anyway, but I can change stuff about if need be.

colournoise

Bars for a more upright position? Get yourself some of these bad boys…

Tyres-wise, I’ve got Big Apples on that cruiser, but think the 27.5 ones are called Big Ben? Would be spot on for what you want I reckon.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes they are, I was looking at them earlier. Do you rate yours?

colournoise

Great tyres for that type of bike/riding IMO. Fairly big volume so comfy but fast rolling too. Obviously not the grippiest in corners (!) but then that’s not their thing.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Grand, cheers.

martymac

I have big apples on my surly, they are excellent tyres.
    Go for the more expensive ones with the folding bead.
    Consider a brooks saddle also, they are designed to be used whilst sat quite upright.

willard

I went left field and bought the Wiggle own label slicks for my Malt2 when I realised I was going to be using it for commuting. They were about the narrowest 26″ tyres I could find. Decathlon also do some that look tempting.

Other than that, I’ve not really changed anything, but the next service will see it get a more road orientated cassette and [likely] more gearing up front. From a maintenance perspective, I should probably get rid of the 3x up front and go to a 38 or 40 single ring. I never use the smallest chainring and seem to be running out of gears in the middle, so that makes more sense.

weeksy

TBH in your situation i’d go 29er FS with 2.35s and just accept going slower than optimal. Comfort is WAY more important if you’re poorly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hybridising my mountain bike’ is closed to new replies.