• This topic has 54 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by andeh.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Hunt wheels… good upgrade over standard?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just replying to a comment up there about novatec and spares.

Whilst they may not be the easiest to get they are generally available. The flipside is, a Novatec hub is about the same as a new freehub for Hope, and with the industries penchant for re inventing the wheel (literally) is there really much point in spending Hope money on hubs anymore? For what they are they’re still good value at ~£170 and will last a long time, but I’ve got 2x sets of pro2’s and an XC that can’t be rebuilt with freehubs to suit new bikes, bulb and XC hubs that wont fit modern forks. That’s a lot of £££. Even the later 40t version that could be upgraded, it’s still as cost effective to just buy an entire novatec hub.

You can still buy a set of the higher end novatec hubs for ~£130, add £25 of spokes, £10 of spoke washers* and nipples, and £80 of rims and you have yourself a wheelset (and a new skill in wheelbuilding). Case in point, I’ve got the parts arriving to build some 1600g, 21mm internal, disk braked, CX wheels, it’ll cost me a grand total of £150! ‘Factory’ wheels always look bling, but you just can’t beat being able to shop around.

*I always use them, it’s a cheap insurance policy against cracked rims.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Spoke washers?

Anyone got a source for wide kinlin rims then?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Little oval and bent washers that spread the load from the spoke inside the rim. Usefull with modern rims as there’s no longer eyelets. Some rim manufacturers recommend them, for the small weight penalty I think they’re a worthwhile thing to use on any uneyeletted rim.

The idea is to stop this sort of failure (either by fatigue or acutely from a hard landing).

chakaping
    Free Member

Got the higher end Novatec hubs on a couple of wheelsets, I think pretty much the same model Hunt use.

They’re OK but the bearings in the rear have caused probs on both. If Hunt spec better sealing as someone claimed up there that could address the issue.

I was skint at the time and picked these up on some OE Santa Cruz wheels, but if I were buying now I’d probably go for Hope hubs instead. Boost will be around for a while I reckon and geometry has reached the point where I won’t need to change bikes again in a hurry.

cokie

What Novatec hubs are Hunt based on?
    They have so mnay different hubs and codes.
    I’ve always fancied building up a set of wheels and this could be perfect with the Kinlin rims.

flange
    Free Member

I own hunts which are nice, nothing amazing but really good customer service and they look pimp.

Another brand worth considering are Halo – their vapor 35’s are really good and having recently had an issue out of warranty they rebuilt the rear wheel on a new hub with new spokes for no charge. Not crazy money, decent weight and stiff. This is my second set and I’d definitely another in the future

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Novatec hubs are Hunt based on?
    They have so mnay different hubs and codes.

Depending on the configuration they do a few tiers, from cup and cone, then steel axles and then aluminium ones, you can tell them apart by looking at the axle ends, the descriptions and the weights.

Hubs

Pick one you like and type the numbers into ebay to see if anyone sells it.

I was skint at the time and picked these up on some OE Santa Cruz wheels, but if I were buying now I’d probably go for Hope hubs instead. Boost will be around for a while I reckon and geometry has reached the point where I won’t need to change bikes again in a hurry.

Get with the program, it’s 2019 and all about superboost!

sb
    Free Member

The hubs on my endurowides seem to be the highest end stuff Novatec do…
    Fronts are equivalent to Novatec pt. # XD601SB/A-B15.
    Rears XD602SB/A-B12. Both branded on Novatecs website as SL-PRO+

The sealed bearing numbers are noted on the Novatec website but appear unbranded, so it seems Hunt may upgrade these to the Japanese EZO sealed bearings (if they aren’t already fitted by Novatec just not noted).

Whatever, the Hunt branded Novatec hubs are top quality.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’ve no complaints about my enduro wides, and the service at hunt is top notch. I had a slightly sticky freehub and they collected the wheel to fix. I had put a big ding in the rim so they gave me a whole new wheel for free!

I used to buy expensive handbuilt wheels with Hope, Syntace or DT hubs. I have a pile of expensive obsolete hubs now. Nobody ever gave me a free DT or Mavic rim.

jca

I’m considering some Hunts for my gravel bike but an worried I may succumb to the Jeremy problem….hunt?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Anyone know where to buy wide rims then? The kinlin ones?

Rickos
    Free Member

Anyone know where to buy wide rims then? The kinlin ones?

Go back to page 1. Wzzzz posted a link.

andeh

As an update, not really done anything spectacular riding wise and the rear Trail Wide of mine has a couple of sizeable dings already (2 months?). I’ve only really been riding trail centres too, doubt they would be up to much proper riding :/ won’t be replacing like for like.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Every review I’ve seen seems to mention they get dings in them, but still get great write ups. Is it the norm for most wheels to get dings, or are these just getting an easy pass?

andeh

Seems so, just spoke to my mate with the same wheels (also on a Rocket Max) and he’s had exactly the same issue. Ding-O-Rama!

The hubs are nice, shame the rims are cheese. I’ve also, somehow, managed to put a reasonable dent in the top of the front rim. Get me some Flows!

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Hunt wheels… good upgrade over standard?’ is closed to new replies.