HT550 Applications opened at midday

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • HT550 Applications opened at midday
  • scotroutes

Who is putting their name in the hat?

Not me, that’s for sure. Too pacey by far. Might consider a more leisurely ITT and leave spaces for the genuine racers.

(of course I’ll regret this decision in May)

whitestone

Me neither – I’ve not done enough long distance stuff this year and didn’t have that good a year last year. I might head out on an ITT the week before depending on weather and fitness.

Edit: you know there’s a couple of changes to the route this year – takes the Loch an Daimh track to Ullapool from Oykel Bridge; doesn’t do the Coffin Road and Corrie Hallie to get into Fisherfield but goes via Loch a Bhroain and Loch an Nid; doesn’t do the Postman’s Path but goes out to Poolewe and does the Tollie Path as it did in older editions.

qwerty

A friend completed it last year, for him, i believe its still a Type 3 memory, maybe a little more time & he’ll get it into Type 2 !!!

scotroutes

Can’t say I have an issue with any of those route changes. The Bridge cafe in Poolewe should be reopening early next year and will make visiting the relocated Whistle Stop less of a trek. (or am I focusing on the wrong things here?  😅)

whitestone

Can’t say I have an issue with any of those route changes. The Bridge cafe in Poolewe should be reopening early next year and will make visiting the relocated Whistle Stop less of a trek. (or am I focusing on the wrong things here? 😅)

In 2017 I had six sit down meals and six café stops so I don’t think you are focussing on the wrong thing!!!

qwerty

“last year” = 2019 – the wet version ✅

Premier Icon NewRetroTom
    Subscriber

My name has been added to hat.

Premier Icon AlasdairMc
    Subscriber

I’m not. Like whitestone, not enough long rides this year, so some serious training would be needed – and frankly I don’t really want to either. There are other rides to do, hopefully in warmer climes…

Thinking back to 2017, I managed 7 sit down meals (very interesting to consider that) plus numerous garage and shop stops.

Fort Augustus
    Oykel Bridge
    Lochinver
    Oykel Bridge
    Kinlochewe
    Tomich
    Fort Augustus

whitestone

You out-stopped me there Alasdair – same feeding holes for me except I just had a quick snack and a couple of pints of orange juice at the hotel in Tomich.

Like many I’d set off assuming I wouldn’t get much so made the most of any opportunity. But a lot depends on the pace you are going as to whether you catch shops, cafés, etc. open. The mid-pack, 4d12hr to 6d sort of pace tends to arrive at watering holes at the right time.

Houns

I was going to until I read this thread. Sit down meals?! Pffffh sounds too easy to me 😋

Nor me; I did it last year and had trained well (was as fit as I had been for TD and ATR) and then the whole race and the winters training was wasted cos I couldn’t cope with the weather conditions. I will do it again this coming season, but will start with a good weather window presents itself and not get tied to a specified date again for a race like this.

I did it before HT550 was a thing 😉

…well, half of it, in 11days…

trail_rat

cos I couldn’t cope with the weather conditions

Yep southerners often underestimate the weather and the changability of it up here.

Premier Icon NewRetroTom
    Subscriber

Sit-down hot meal counting seems interesting: My tally for 2015 was 6:

Fort Augustus dinner
    Oykel Bridge breakfast
    Kylesku dinner
    Oykel Bridge breakfast
    Kinlochewe breakfast
    Dornie dinner

whitestone

If you want some inspiration for this then have a read – https://bikepacking.com/plog/highland-insomnia/

postierich

Take it you all had a beer with your sit-down meals 🙂 I think I did except at the Pizza place where I had coke beer eased the pain on the rest of the route even doing a little detour at the Glencoe Ski Station :-).

Not in this year doing the Italy Divide for a change!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.