Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How wide to "+" rims need to be?
  • Olly
    Free Member

Ive got a pile of parts, and am angling to build up a rigid 29possibly+ single speed BMX for giants.
    torn between 29+, and just getting some 2.5″ tyres in a regular 29er.

How wide does a “+” rim need to be, to support a 3″ tyre without it wallowing around all over the shop?
    29+ rims seem to be around 100 quid, where as i could get some 25mm wide WTBs for 30 quid. adding a 2.5″ tyre to a 25mm rim is still going to be pretty big, and gives me options for putting 2″ tyres on.

part of me wants to do it properly, but the bike is supposed to be a bit of a “beater”, so spluring 200 quid on rims seems a bit stupid!

Any thoughts?

rOcKeTdOg

35mm+ or it’s A)not worth it B)too squirmy at properly low pressures

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Velocity blunt 35 is less than 100 pounds. Ryde do some rims that have a 25mm internal width too.

singlespeedstu

I’d look more at how much room you have in your frame first…

Olly
    Free Member

im yet to decide on the frame. I need to buy rims, spokes tyres and frameset.
    Depending on wheels i went for, would vary the frame i guess! Krampus or Karate Monkey…

Hubs are 32H…

singlespeedstu

I’d decide on frame first.
    You seem to be getting a bit ahead of yourself.

Olly
    Free Member

just an idea at the moment, pricing it up and a bit miffed how expensive wide rims are! niche tax!

alexh
    Free Member

Light bicycle 38mm rims are not silly prices

thebrowndog
    Free Member

just an idea at the moment, pricing it up and a bit miffed how expensive wide rims are! niche tax!

Here here. Was thinking some 27+ wheels would go well on my OO Fatty but cheapest I could price them up was around £350. Meh …

wiggles
    Free Member

My 3″ tyres work fine on the 38mm rims it came with.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How wide to "+" rims need to be?’ is closed to new replies.