Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How well calibrated are your legs?
  • ajantom

Local ride and trails on the MTB today, hadn’t looked at my GPS watch since I started the ride, thought ‘Hmmm, that feels like about 13km so far.’ Looked at my watch and it read 12.97km.

I’m usually pretty good – within a km or so when I guess – but today’s was pleasingly accurate 🙂

tjagain

Pretty good.  But then for me a lot of it I guess is because I read a map before hand or am on familiar trails.  I can also estimate my time to anywhere in the city by bike withing a few %

singlespeedstu

I’m not so good on accuracy for distance but normal pretty good on height gain.

tomhoward

Once got what I thought must’ve been around halfway round a 40mile off-road sportive. 11miles was not the reading I was expecting…

ton

i am pretty spot on i think.
    most of my riding now is from the door, and i tend to know most of the distances to locations like pubs, cafe’s and bakeries.
    also i tend to ride at 10mph all the time so this helps too.

maccruiskeen

No idea on the bike, but on foot my regular walking stride appears to be very reliably a metre.

colp

Mine are spot on. At 25kph it always seems to get harder to pedal, I look down at my Bosch Kiox display and there it is, bang on 25kph.

DickBarton

Can never guess in km but reasonably accurate in miles. However, familiar trails or looking at a map before heading out so I suspect that removes some of the guessing.

el_boufador

Mine are spot on. At 25kph it always seems to get harder to pedal, I look down at my Bosch Kiox display and there it is, bang on 25kph.

👏

gingerflash

Mine are well calibrated for power, on the road bike. I can estimate that this is X watts. On a typical day I’ll be within 5w.

If I’m off by a fair bit, several times, then that’s a crude indicator of form i reckon, i.e. feels like 300w, is actually 325, means i’m going well.

stevious

I’m the same as @gingerflash but with smaller power numbers 🙂

When I do intervals outside I don’t need to check the head unit very much at all, just the odd glance to check I’m not on a super/crappy day.

MrSparkle

This is a game I often play. I can pretty accurately guess distance and time (taken and actual) when on the bike. I lead an off road running group and can pick a route on the fly and do about 6 miles in about an hour without ‘cheating’ by looking at phone or watch and get some satisfaction when I get it very close. I am also a dab hand at guessing how much added time that 4th official will say that a minimum has to be played at the footy.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Absolutely terrible is the best I can come up with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.