Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How very stw- bean to cup machine recommedations
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

What recommendations are there out there for a bean to cup coffee maker please?

I don’t want to spend more than £200 and I want it have the ability to make a batch into a pot for a couple of mugs at a time

Lakeland and Wayfair have a couple around £150 but real world ( if stw can be described as that!) recommendations are always the best

ta

jonba
    Free Member

I’d be interested in this. Would like a capsule machine but would consider beam to cup if they are reliable as there is less waste.

Murray

De Longhi Magnifica – periodically reduced to about £200

monkeyboyjc

We have a Krups EA8150 in the house,  which makes excellent coffee (better than the 4k automatic machine we have in our shop). It doesn’t however froth milk very well any more, we have had it 3yrs though.

I’d stay away from nesspresso style machines, the coffee isn’t as nice and the environment impact is larger.

ElVino

I will second the Delonghi Magnifica, just make sure  you take time to read instructions.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

3rd on the Magnifica – I have to read the instructions for descaling…every…single….time!

That probably means I’m doing something/everything wrong 🙂

meeeee
    Free Member

Delonghi cafe corso  is same internals as the magnifica but a bit cheaper, about 240 on Amazon but get reduced every so often.

andyl
    Free Member

another +1 for Delonghi

Got the one without the milk carafe for Xmas back in 2014 and it’s been used several times a day every day since then.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

And another one for the Magnifica. Picked an absolutely mint condition one off our local Facebook for £60.

We live in a very hard water are, so it’s always telling me to descale.

Bought it with 200 coffees on the counter. Within a month that was over 600.

We’re not wired at all, no really.

andyl
    Free Member

how do you access the counter?

I remember our Jura one at work was over 100k cups after a couple of years. £1k domestic machine used in a Uni research facility.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

It’s hidden somewhere in the menus. I’ll have a look when I get home.

captmorgan
    Free Member

The Delonghi recommendation is a good one, and I know this adds to the budget but I find the milk temp of some bean to cup machines to be poor and/or a faf to heat milk so I invested in a separate milk heater / frother from severin.

adjustable heat and foam volumes and easy to clean.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Obviously the wrong answer but frankly it’s unacceptable behavior that no-one has ignored the OP and given the standard answer yet.

You need a bialetti moka pot, preferably heated atop of your wood burning stove.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 the Bialetti Moka, but I’m ashamed to admit I have no wood burning stove. I do have an Iberital bean grinder though, but then further sin is I don’t roast my own beans!

dmck16
    Free Member

What level of noise do these Delonghi’s make while in use? Gentle enough buzz? Vibrate the whole worktop?

Don’t fancy waking everyone up at 4am…

EDIT: This would be to replace a Nespresso machine, and that makes a fair racket.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

About as much noise as you’d expect from a combination of grinding beans and slurping/heating water and/or frothing milk if you like the fancy dancey coffee rather than just “black and hot”.

Doesn’t wake my missus while she sleeps in the bedroom directly above the kitchen, but she’d sleep through a chuffin’ bomb strike.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Don’t fancy waking everyone up at 4am…

Depends on the household, I’d be very cross but in the other hand my wife would sleep through, even then at 4am I’d be using a cafetiere and fretting over the noise of the kettle personally.

feed

Got this 6 months back, makes really nice coffee but one hell of a racket,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Caffe-Corso-ESAM2800-SB-Silver/dp/B00LB8FHJ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538154793&sr=8-2&keywords=delonghi+magnifica+4200

They drop to closer to the £200 mark every now and again

firestarter
    Free Member

I got a gaggia brera from the outlet shop I’ve given it some hammer in the last year great machine

Bregante

I’ve had a Delonghi Magnifica (ESAM 4200) for a couple of years and can’t speak highly enough of it. It is loud enough to wake the whole house though if I forget to shut the kitchen door….

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tried a moka pot type thing and wasn’t impressed tbh but then again I haven’t got an aga

the delonghi job looks like a single cup machine I wanted something that would make a jug full ideally

sharkbait
    Free Member

I got a delonghi magnifica off here early this year to try instead of our Nespresso machine which gets a bit spendy when you have 6 coffees a day!

Got to say I bloody love it and it’s now moved into my office so gets plenty of use.  Got to buy another one for the house now!

A little noisy but nothing too serious.

Costco currently selling 1kg bags of lavazza Rosso beans for £7

😁

burko73

we’ve has a delonghi magnifier for about 7 yrs now. esam 4200. its made 000’s of coffees and just keeps going. consistent every time. we didn’t pay much over £200 for it on amazon at the time. best £200 we’ve ever spent. would pay double or more for a new one straight away if it broke. I think the newer ones are smaller and nicer looking but have the same internals.

johnnystorm

I got my Esam 2600 from Ao.com for £179 , they did £20 cash back and Quidco. Much less waste than the Nespresso/Aerocino. I live in a hard water area so have had to descale a couple of times and I too have to consult the manual every time! It’s not that difficult however!

While it doesn’t fill a jug with coffee, the largest dose can be done as a double into the same mug so it wouldn’t be too onerous. Besides, who wants a jug going cold/stale when you can have freshly ground on demand?! 🙂

Now that swmbo has got over the size of it, the noise isn’t too bad…..apart from when it shuts itself down in eco mode and someone unsuspecting is in the kitchen and is ambushed!

iamtheresurrection

Yet another DeLonghi Magnifica Esam here.

For a mug of coffee, I find on the setup it standard coffee size (the water dose), extra strong taste (the coffee dose). I need to press the two cups button on this setting, twice per mug – meaning, I suppose, that two full hoppers of coffee get used per mug.

the resultant cakes are pretty big in the waste tray, so I think it’s a decent injection of caffeine. Small grind, setting 2, works for me

Filling a pot would take a while, but the machine would do it as the spout goes very high to get something tall underneath. You can definitely hear it in every room in the house when it’s warming up and doing it’s thing. It’s not a problem for us though.

spooky_b329

That’s a strong shot of coffee!

I’m on standard water dose,  strong setting for a latte, standard strength for an Americano seems about right. Double dose button both times.

Never use the ‘long’ buttons,  seems more bitter.

It’s noisy, be fine on a house but I’m in a bungalow so shut the doors before firing it up early in the morning 🙂

My only gripes are it being hard to see when the beans are low (nothing more annoying than hearing the grinder humming away) and the drip tray is fiddly to clean,  lots of nooks and crannies to slime up.

Alex

Our Delonghi Magnifica is in its third year. Had it serviced once as there was an offer on. Descaled it about six times. Played about with it a bit when we had it, not touched the settings since. It’s been absolutely brilliant at making repeatable awesome coffee day after day.

It’s a bit noisy. And bits of it are a chore to fully clean but totally recommended.

We do have a great bean roaster in town tho. I could happily live in there. Mmm coffee……..

pop-larkin
    Free Member

OK Magnifica esam 3000b ordered- on your collective heads be it!

Debenhams have them at £250 at the moment which looks a good price

Will report back when it lands

rockhopper70

Late to the thread here and it’s not at all useful but they were selling a Krups bean to cup on Ideal Home last night, special Christmas offer at £900, down from £1400.

Had a fancy telescopic steam wand that frothed the milk that is poured into the cup, not the machine, which I thought was clever.

Big money that tho….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How very stw- bean to cup machine recommedations’ is closed to new replies.