Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • how to stop rim brakes going off centre after using wheel release lever?
  • racefaceec90

have an sram force 2 x 11 groupset fitted to my new road bike (including force rim brakes).

have found that after removing/replacing my wheels (cleaning the bike etc) the brakes go out of alignment.

as i’m not mechanically savvy (road or mtb components).how do i stop this from happening if possible?

i have loosened the main brake bolt then hold brake lever whilst retightening again to centre the brakes.

is this just something i have to get used to doing i guess,or should i not have to do that after taking the wheel out.

i didn’t think i used much pressure to turn the release lever or put any pressure on the brakes,so don’t really know what caused this issue tbh.

thanks in advance for any help 👍

theotherjonv

Not had SRAM brakes so may not be the same but on any Shimano ones I had (before going disc FTW) you never needed to. When you put the wheel back in and redo the pad release lever they might appear misaligned but first squeeze of the brake lever and they go back to centred.

Phil_H

QR wheels?
    Is the wheel axle fully seated in the dropout?
    I find that this happens if I put the wheels in on the work stand and do up the qr. Putting the wheel in with the bike on the ground then doing up the qr sorts the issue for me.

matt_outandabout

Phil_H +1

Could just be the wheel isn’t actually getting seated centrally. I put wheel on the ground, lean over handlebars so I’m pressing down on the bike but vertically, then I’ve both hands free to do up QR.

bjhedley

Fairly common as easy to knock when dropping wheels out etc. Couple of havks that work for me.

1)put the wheel in, do up quick release, turn the pedals a few times so the gears settle on the correct sprocket. Open Qr, close QR. If the mech is in the wrong gear for where the chain is, the tension can push the wheel out of alignment.

2) Put wheel in, do up QR and Brake QR. Undo wheel QR, squeeze break lever then do up wheel QR without releasing the lever.

Finally, an my most common, if you’re sure your wheel is centred, just gently hold the calliper on both pads and push/pull to centre. Bonus of rim brakes IME, so easy to centre, even when out, no need for tools. They’re only held on by one bolt, so a degree of easy movement each way.

Another point, make sure you’re undoing the QR on the brake when dropping wheels out, less chance of dragging the wheel past the pads and knocking it

racefaceec90

Thanks for the tips everyone 👍

Have actually just been adjusting the brakes after looking for a sram manual online. Have got them dialled now,but the proof is in the riding so hopefully haven’t made a mess of it.

Going to bike shop tomorrow so if I have Ballsed it up then guys at the shop can slap me round the head lol

Aidy
    Free Member

Fairly common as easy to knock when dropping wheels out etc.

Yeah, are you knocking the caliper with the wheel/tyre as you remove/refit it?

jamj1974

Just checking OP, you are fully opening the brake QR that moves the arms and brake shoes further apart – so the tyre does not hit them on removal…?

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Put your weight on the bars to make sure the wheel is fully seated in the dropoutds you choose the at.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Can I just check something here, are you weirdos all fitting wheels with the bike the right way up?

racefaceec90

thanks again for the replies.

i make sure to unlock the brake release lever all the way before removing/refitting wheel.

i do also take care to try not to hit brake with the wheel when removing/refitting it also.

i do make sure that the wheel is in the slots properly too when putting them back on.

i was thinking if the actual turning the brake release lever somehow caused it (i don’t think i was heavy handed using them tbh).

will make sure to be extra careful from now on though when removing wheels.

in regards to bike i have fitted the wheels both upside down (bike not me lol) and wheel side down also.

spooky_b329

You should just be able to recentre them by hand, no need to slacken the bolt.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can I just check something here, are you weirdos all fitting wheels with the bike the right way up?

One does not turn their road bike upside down.

duncancallum

Pull the rim over when you nip the QR up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘how to stop rim brakes going off centre after using wheel release lever?’ is closed to new replies.