Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How to reset OnePlus 3 – STW hive mind required
  • geck0

sold my OnePlus 3T to a member on here.  I factory reset it twice and sent it but when he powers it on it is still linked to my Google account. I’ve tried to delete the account on the phone remotely through Google but no joy.

There mus be a way…

Any ideas?

davidr

That doesn’t sound right. Are you making sure that you’re selecting to erase data stored on the phone too? I’ve factory reset my 3T a couple of times and it’s gone back to a clean phone.

Flaperon

Two potential causes here (personal experience).

1. The factory reset didn’t actually reset it.  I’ve had this happen where someone set it up as a new phone after a full reset and discovered that the messages app was still populated with my old content.  This is despite the fact that the phone was encrypted and the reset supposedly wiping the encryption key.

2. (More likely). You forgot to remove your Google account from the phone before resetting it.  At this point you’ve triggered something called Factory Reset Protection.  The only way to get around this (and you won’t like it) is to give the buyer your Google password, then immediately change it.  Hopefully you don’t re-use passwords…

More info here:

https://www.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

Flaperon

Edit: Oh yes. If you change your Google password *first*, you’ll have to wait a minimum of 72 hours before the new temporary password will work to unlock FRP anyway.

geck0

Thanks Flaperon – it worked!

Just have to sell it again, this time unlocked 🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How to reset OnePlus 3 – STW hive mind required’ is closed to new replies.