Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to remove WD40 from upholstery
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

My 18 year old autistic step son has developed a liking for car detailing. Unfortunately his choice of cleaning products is probably not the best. Last weekend he cleaned Wifey’s car upholstery with WD40 !!!

Any tips on how to remove the horrendous smell, and how to remove any remnants of it from the seats?

stumpyjon

Leave the doors and windows open, it’ll eventually evaporate. Or fire, fire will get it out in no time.

One of my bosses kids cleaned his car for him, with snow, picked up from the gravel drive…..

trailwagger
    Free Member

with snow, picked up from the gravel drive

Maybe i should of started a different kind of thread… thats golden.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Try some Flash all purpose cleaner and a damp sponge / microfiber cloth

kilo

Gt85 or these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/big-wipes-scrub-clean-wipes-blue-100-pack/6488f

Recommended by a sparky we used. They got cooking grease out of a brand new carpet and are my default cleaner now (haven’t used the shower in weeks)

franksinatra

My wifes grandfather had dementia. One of the first signs was when he spent all afternoon outside polishing his car, with Brillo pads.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got an oil patch off my block paving with a pressure washer, so maybe try that?

dannybgoode

Sudocrem?

retro83
    Free Member

My first step would be using a carpet cleaner machine (e.g. Rug Doctor) with something reasonably gentle like the (non-foaming) Vax upholstery cleaner bottles used as detergent. Will probably take a couple of goes.

As long as you vac it thoroughly it won’t leave water marks all over the upholstery.

grum
    Free Member

Red wine.

dyna-ti

The carpet cleaning companies do upholstery too, its in their bumpf. I remember as the last company I hired to do thee carpets was called Carpet and upholstery cleaning in their advert.

So any of the diy carpet cleaning machines – Hoover,Karcher,vax will also do upholstery.

Tracey

We came back from Scotland a couple of weeks ago to find that the 6 cans of Coke and 6 cans of Dr Pepper we had forgotten to take with us and left on the window sill in the conservatory had all exploded and covered a light brown suede sofa and chair. It had dried and they were covered in stains. Set about it with a Bissell carpet cleaner and after a couple of hours they were as good as new. Just got a small stain on the top of the beer fridge that has eaten into the covering

the-muffin-man

I’ve just tipped a load of fresh engine oil on my back seat (complicated story!) – any ideas for cleaning that? 😬

jambourgie
    Free Member

Used engine oil will sort that out.

mjsmke

Yellow washing up liquid was recommended to me buy an owner of a car wash to get rid of water stains and damp smell. Worked really well. Do it on a hot day and get the entire seats wet. Let it dry naturally.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Coated leather/vinyl or cloth?

Either way, remove the seats to give yourself proper working space. If vinyl/coated leather, then all purpose cleaner, warm water and a sponge. Then specific conditioner. If cloth, the upholstery blot out as much as possible with microfibre cloths, then brush in upholstery shampoo, really brush it in. Then warm water in a wet vac/spot cleaner to remove the shampoo.

Leave the seats to dry while you do the same to the carpets and then repeat if required.

fazzini

Sudocrem?

For the win 🤣🤣 coffee-keyboard-interface…

How to remove coffee from keyboard?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to remove WD40 from upholstery’ is closed to new replies.