Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How to keep new car clean when riding? Drive n ride tactics?
  • cokie

I always change. I’ve got an old rollmat & fluffy dressing gown. Then a flexible bucket for riding kit & clean clothes in an Ikea bag. Car always stays clean that way. It means I can look respectable and stay comfortable, plus stopping at the pub/shop on the way back is easier.

scaled
    Free Member

You lot are monsters, surely you get changed after a ride sod the car, don’t you get a load of mud in the pub?

jimdubleyou

Get one of these, then you don’t have to get risk getting arrested in a car park…

http://amzn.eu/cmjo9Bs

benp1

Ikea bags get used a lot, fantastic things they are

For big trips I’ll have a full change of clothes to get into. And I’ll put wet kit into an ikea bag (usually have at least 2, shoes, helmet

For shorter ones where I’m not too mucky I’ll change shoes but put towels on the drivers seat and drive hope like that. I have leather seats so the towels just stop the worst of it

canopy
    Free Member

OK so a rare thing for most forums…a report back…! 🙂

– I have the new car (seat leon st ecomotive)
    – i have new roof rack and carrier (thule wingbar edge + pro ride carrier + fitting kit) – took about an hour to fit. fiddliest bit was to do with how the locks for the feet line up. very good, and saves me a lot of hassle (btw. i know they’re not that secure.. its for convenience)

– i bagged an Ikea bag and two carpet tiles as we’re having a refurb at work and I saved them from the skip pile

pre ride

– car has multi height load area, so set that to level
    – filled 3 old 5 litre screenwash bottles with water
    – spare clothes + walking shoes in ikea bag

the ride

– got soaked to the bone – my local is the quantocks.. smiths combe wasnt too bad, grass not trustwothy enough for my usual pace, didn’t even consider going in hot from the beacon above it as usual. crossings swollen as expected. after cutting across.. the stream exiting willoughby cleeve descent was huge had to wade through at almost knee high, after a trip up ladies edge did weacombe, which was actually a waterslide. no joke the grass descent was actually flowing water – awesome fun.could hear my riding partner for the day laughing behind me

post ride

– bike wasnt too dirty due to the amount of water. used two of 5 litre bottles to wash it down then pop it on the top of the car. it dried on the way home.
    – put one carpet tile on the car park floor, the other on the level loading area mentioned previously.. changed into all new clothes – bar socks and undercracker
    – mucky clothes, riding shoes and camelbak etc into ikea bag saving car boot from dirt

really pleased it all worked well

regret not taking spare socks and putting a bag under my butt on the drivers seat. other than that went well. simple lessons learned 🙂

p.s being of somewhat limited stature (5’7) may benefit from some kind of folding step to put bike on car as i put a nice splurdge of mud across while putting it up there. glad didnt get a softroader type thing…..

llama

if you have a baby you might as well start being less precious about the car, it’s going to vom in it sooner or later

hugo
    Free Member

Old towel to get most of the crap off, then in a plastic bag with the riding gear.

Trackie B’s, socks, pants and an old cotton t-shirt on and good to go.

Poly blanket thing in the boot for the bike to go on.

baboonz
    Free Member

I use a massive decathlon towel for seat protection.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/microfibre-towel-xl-pink-id_8402378.html

wilburt
    Free Member

Getting naked in a car park is a perk on mtb’ing just like like rubbing cream on your genitals is part of road cycling.

zerolight
    Free Member

I wear bib shorts with baggies over the top. Remove the baggies and jersey, pull in joggers and a fresh top, and a pair of clean trainers. Drive home. Bike goes on rack, dirty clothes in boot.

canopy
    Free Member

ah yes forgot a towel as well as spare socks..

did pack baby wipes though 🙂

btw re: car preciousness – little man isn’t particularly a sicky-up baby.. in seven months he’s got me about twice. he normally falls asleep within 5 mins of leaving the house.. and he’s not a baby that naps (3 x 30 min per day and thats it!)

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How to keep new car clean when riding? Drive n ride tactics?’ is closed to new replies.