• This topic has 114 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • How old do you think of yourself as?
  • brakes
    Free Member

jimdubleyou

I’m constantly amazed at the apparent acceptance of what I say as fact.

I get this too, but it helps that I’m usually right 😈

bencooper
    Free Member

The person who impresses me a lot is Fraser Scott* – Fraser’s been a mate for years, and he hasn’t changed a bit, still cycles about everywhere on the illegally powerful electric bike I built him, rides motorbikes, keeps coming up with new inventions, comes in to tell me about the latest book he’s read and harangue me for being rubbish at business, and he look about 60.

He’s eighty.

*Inventor of the Scottoiler.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I feel quite young, until I try and keep up with my 29 year old son on his bike (when did he suddenly get faster than me?), I’ll be 59 in May. 😕

bikebouy
    Free Member

What has brought the age thing home to me most recently is this..

The head of OfCom was on Telly on the BBC this morning. She looked 18.
    Also, they had an interview with someone who was representing a Council somewhere.. whilst normally you’d see a Jeremy Corbin type covered in Corduroy, this was a girl who looked 19. They also chatted to a Business head of “something or other” again, looked about 22.

(and before you call me out for being sexist, thats a small example)

In my line of work I see lots of fresh young faces come and go, this intake of Grads has lasted well, since October15 of the 60 odd taken on there must be only 13 left. All look like they should still be in Prep School, all only interested in their own opinion or Selfie or “profile” and are all full of the joys of Spring and WhatNot.

Whilst I enjoy their enthusiasm, the Youth thing is lost on me. 😕

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Have been phoning around for some accommodation for a weekend in the hills for myself and a couple of mates, had to correct myself by asking for digs for “3 young lads” but I still feel like a young lad… My knees, back and beer belly disagree.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

About 20 years younger than I am. Photos come as a shock.

+1 and demo days when I forget that the young turks are probably 30 years younger than me – no wonder they are faster.

Work is balance between a few grey hairs = gravitas and Life wanting no grey hairs and no reading glasses. Currently at the tipping point!

binners

I’ve got a job on tomorrow in some achingly trendy design agency in the Northern Quarter. I’ve had a look at their website. Its going to be all skinny jeans and waxed beards. I expect I’ll feel about 106 😥

jabbi
    Free Member

18 in my head, 37 according to the birth certificate. My back sometimes appears to be about 90
    Hairline is not 18 anymore either 😈

sandboy

I’m 45, kind of grew up a bit and got all serious about life when the kids were born but now they aren’t babies any more (11&8) I have quickly reverted back to the same attitude to life I had in my twenties. Still training hard and pushing myself on both the road and off it and living life to the full. No intention to change just yet!

Rubber_Buccaneer

It was only recently I worked out that people don’t really grow up, they just get older.

I agree with this. I know I’m 47 and don’t imagine I’m any younger but what surprises me is I don’t feel or think any differently to how I always have. When I was 16 I thought a 47 year old was some old crock. Of course that is how today’s 16 year olds must see me but who gives a shit what they think, they will never afford a house 🙂

hanchurch
    Free Member

22 in my head, I left uni last year right…… Actually 38 next month! I’m getting bike parts for my birthday from my Mum though so that must make me younger!

gozarch
    Free Member

hanchurch, I read that as “bike pants”, which sounds like something for those of advancing years

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yeah, bike pants are for old farts. Me, I have my lucky rocket pants 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

Not swearfilteravoidance 50!
    I have the body of a 25 year old ( I keep it in the freezer)

I certainly don’t think if myself as 50 and thanks to some exercise and no smoking I am not often believed to be 50 chronic immaturity helps. I have spent my entire life worrying that proper grown ups will see through me and take away my front door keys etc. I think life’s big secret is most decent people feel this way and those who think of themselves as proper grown ups are at best dull and at worst psychopathic.

teasel
    Free Member

I feel as old as I am, which is better than I felt a decade ago when I felt a lot older than I actually was.

scotroutes

The guys I’ve been out riding with recently are around 40 and I sometimes have to remind myself that I’m old enough to be their father. They tend to leave me gasping on the hills but I don’t struggle to badly on longer rides.

I’m regularly told I look at least ten years younger than I am but I seem to have a wishlist of things to do/places to go that’s getting longer, not shorter.

tomhoward

Mind of an 18 year old
    Body of a 50+ year old
    Birth certificate of a 31 year old

busydog
    Free Member

73 here, going on 30 (or so mrs busydog says). Still MTB a couple times a week, but for some reason, trails I have ridden for 25+ years seem to take longer with each passing year. I have gotten past the point where I really “need” a new bike every other year. All things considered, I can’t complain.

maccruiskeen

In one of my first jobs a fubar by another member of staff (he went to the bank to cash a company cheque and cocked it up in such a way that resulted in the staff locking him in a back room and calling the cops) was excused by the boss as down to the fact he was ‘only a youngster’. When I pointed out that I was quite a bit younger he said ‘yes, but you were born 40’.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Not sure, but i was lying in bed with a 54 year old woman this morning, that can’t be right, can it!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

30 year old, body feels like a 70 year old especially my knees.
    Act like an 18 year old on the bike.
    Miserable grumpy old man the rest of the time.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

When I was late teens all I wanted to do was ride bikes and get p*ssed.

Now 50, and have picked up a decent job, mortgage, wife, and kids along the way, but really all I want to do is ride bikes and get p*ssed. (Albeit these days that means a good bottle of wine or 4 or 5 pints of decent beer).

Can’t see that ever changing until I’m physically no longer able to do either.

metalheart
    Free Member

I think I was born old.

Since I sprouted the zz-lite style white beard I now actually look as old as I feel: ancient.

The Loon keeps telling it makes me look 30 years older. Yup, he’s a charmer.

(Started to work on the second half of the century in reality)

Andy-R

BillMC – Member
    I still enjoy the stuff I did in my 20s only now can indulge in it a bit/lot more. Early retirement is key to doing loads of what you like while you can

Nice work (or not) if you can get it – I’ll be 64 in a few months and I’m still working. I can’t see me retiring any time soon (can’t afford to) so it’s just as well I enjoy using nice chainsaws…(that’ll be XP Huskys then)
    Do I look/act my age? I think I do but others say I look ten years younger – what should someone of 63 look/act like anyway? Should they ride mtb’s half decently, should they be good bass players? – who gives a shit…..

Actually, I find it quite liberating because really I don’t give a stuff what other people think and also because young sprogs don’t expect you to be able to do anything and it’s nice making them have it sometimes.

Cougar

a) we’re all middle-aged if UrbanDictionary is was to be believed.

b) I’m in my early- to mid-40s and I’m surprised at how many people are way older than I am.

I always kind of default to “we’re all the same age,” I’m mentoring teenagers at the moment and still fall into the same trap.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think of myself as 25. I’m 40.

redthunder
    Free Member

Stopped growing up mentally ages ago. 46 the other day, and I felt like 46 if not older 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

25/40

kayla1
    Free Member

Head says 20-odd, birth certificate (and body) says 41… It’s true that while ageing is unavoidable, growing up is entirely optional 😀

When people say ‘act your age’ you can reply with ‘I’ve never been this age before so don’t know how to act!’

richpips
    Free Member

I’m 50 mostly ride bikes with my 11 yo, my daughter is 14 tmw and frowns at my childishness often.

Being grown up or old will be a shock.

fruitbat

My daughter often tells me to grow up. I tell her that growing up is for older people.
    I turned 60 two weeks ago and am retiring early at the end of April 😀

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Went to a gig, recently and thought the place was full of old gits. Mentioned it to my 26 year old daughter, who was also in attendance. She immediately took a picture of me on her phone, showed it to me and suggested that I reconsider my remarks.

hora
    Free Member

I did a two week physical course with twenty-somethings recently. I wasn’t slacking or tired at any point. In fact I was the first to volunteer and I miss it 🙁

People have said ‘grow up’ before. My reply is ‘don’t you mean lose your zest and become tired and weary of life’?

You can have fun etc and still have a mortgage ffs.

garage-dweller

Can’t tell how old I am, I still feel quite young despite my responsibilities.

Every time I try and guess from my reflection in the mirror some old looking bloke keeps sticking his head in the way. 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Op,

You young man! 😛

cheers_drive

I’m 40 in a couple of weeks yet I did associate myself with 20 years ago when I was at uni. I think it’s because I grew up Norfolk and had never really experienced anything else to I went to uni. Nothing since has been such a major change, not even marriage and a baby.

ton

50 and i look and feel every single second of it.
    a life of hard sport, too much beer and a pretty bad diet for the first 40yrs has not been kind.

3 bouts of surgery in the last 10 year may not have helped. and 1 more session looming could hopefully not be too wearing.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

45 but still feel early 20ish , even tho I’m a lot fitter now than I was back then and now with no added chemicals (it was the 90’s! 🙄 😯 )

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hmm. I found stw in my 20s and I’m now in my 40s and still here.

The last few years has seen a growing realisation that I may be accumulating years. I think this started in my late 30s, when I remember double-taking a policeman and wondering if his parents knew he wasn’t at school, and being consulted increasingly so at work in a ‘knowledgeable elder’ capacity.

Recently, I feel every one of my 42 years, with a trapped nerve in my neck, a remote control hand and muscle wastage in my arm.

🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘How old do you think of yourself as?’ is closed to new replies.