Home Forums Bike Forum How much tubeless sealant for 25 mm road tires? Does more decrease pressure loss

• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How much tubeless sealant for 25 mm road tires? Does more decrease pressure loss
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Giving road tubeless a spin since I’m flatting to much with my Conti 5000 tires, going to try the 5000 TL with Orange Seal Endurance and Orange Seal Valves (rim is tubeless ready without holes in the rim bed, 25 mm OD carbon).

I made a thread previously about air leakage with tubeless, and the consensus seems to be you need to top off the tires weekly which beats flatting.

How much sealant should I use? Weight is not a concern, but if I can slow down air leakage using more that’d be nice.

mboy
    Free Member

More sealant won’t mean it’s less porous. Also, Orange Seal is brilliant at sealing punctures, but it does dry out quickly, so I wouldn’t put too much in as you’ll need to top it up a lot more often than you would Stans or others.

30ml is recommended amount usually, can put a bit more in say 40-45ml, but any more really is just going to be a waste in a tyre that size.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Read the Endurance version doesn’t dry up quickly and works well with high pressures.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can’t say I have to top up my road tubeless weekly

Using giants sealant on giants tires on giants rims.

Hasnt dried out in 16 months either….m. as it’s still sealing punctures…. Got one Saturday.

steve_b77
    Free Member

With the Squirt Seal that I use, it recommends 60-80ml in each tyre.

kerley
    Free Member

Orange Seal is brilliant at sealing punctures, but it does dry out quickly,

Not in my experience. Have had it in a tyre for 6 months and it is still liquid after that.

How much sealant should I use? Weight is not a concern, but if I can slow down air leakage using more that’d be nice.

You should use whatever is recommended amount for 25c. Once the initial amount has sealed any small holes/gaps that is it. Having more is not going to do anything. If the tyres are going down a lot each week then they have a problem that the sealant has not sealed.

swdan
    Free Member

Continental recommend 30-60ml in their installation video. Only know this as I watch it yesterday as i was contemplating switching to tubeless but not sure I can be bothered with the fuss

scaredypants

you’ve thought about the swooshing noise, right ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

About 50ml of Stans Race sealant in mine.

+/-20g is naff all weight worth worrying about.

Air loss is very small, I check the pressures before a ride but that’s just habit, they lose substantially more pressing the valve to open it before attaching the pump.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have various sets of road wheels set up Tubeless. Hutchinson, Vittoria and Schwalbe tyres. Some go softer over the course of a week, some stay rock hard for weeks and weeks.

I think it’s the valve seating you need to pay attention to most. I knocked the valve on one of the wheels once after a ride and the tyre went soft over night, not flat just soft. Tightening the valve collar and also a blob of wood glue round the collar and rim interface did the trick and it’s back to holding air for weeks without needing pumping up.

I usually put about 30-60ml in. Two capfuls and some usually spills out whilst I get the tyre on. I could do it through the valve once seated but don’t usually bother with that. I also use thick washing up/water solution to get the tyre to seat really well.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Seems like 20 ml is the minimum (5000 TL can be run without sealant), maybe start at 30 ml and see what the air loss is, then go up to 60 ml and see it air loss is less pr week once stabilized.

Think a little petroleum jelly would also work well for helping seat the tire well, works with tubed ones. Will be interesting to see how hard it is to get on and get seated (only have a normal pump and normal tire levers, no koolstop tire jacks).

Going for the Dynaplugs for additional puncture repair, wonder if I should get something more permanent too? Like the TIP TOP TT13 tubeless repair kit?

simondbarnes

Will be interesting to see how hard it is to get on and get seated (only have a normal pump and normal tire levers, no koolstop tire jacks).

You shouldn’t require tyre levers for fitting tyres.

kerley
    Free Member

I have to use tyre levers all the time to fit tyres. The advantage to tubeless is that there is no risk of pinching the tube so can’t see a problem using tyre levers on tubeless at all.

mboy
    Free Member

With the Squirt Seal that I use, it recommends 60-80ml in each tyre.

In a 25c road tyre…? Are you sure…? That’s twice as much as other brands recommend, and as much as they suggest for an XC MTB tyre.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How much tubeless sealant for 25 mm road tires? Does more decrease pressure loss’ is closed to new replies.