How much tax / VAT would I pay on a £500 import from the States?

Home Forum Bike Forum How much tax / VAT would I pay on a £500 import from the States?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How much tax / VAT would I pay on a £500 import from the States?
  • Roughly speaking?

Cheers

Premier Icon speaker2animals
    Subscriber

Have a look at the Post Office website, I think they have a calculator on-line for this sort of thing

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I paid £70-odd on a £400 fork, if that helps?

Premier Icon Popocatapetl
    Subscriber

This was on here about a month ago. search “buying from US to UK import tax” on the header bar for the verdict.

antigee

if its parts and correctly coded on the invoice
    duty is 4% of value at arrival – that is cost plus transport
    then 15 % vat plus freight agent handling fee and Uk delivery

£500 + say £70 estimate freight (no recent experience but my guess for US postal)??? = £570 +4% = +£24 = v near to £600
    add VAT at 15% = £90 now at £690 assuming freight guess is right – throw in freight co’s clearance/handling fee uk delivery = say £40 maybe more

my best guess is £730 ish

assumes invoice is correctly coded – google TARIC codes these are internationally recognised product (commodity) codes otherwise importer (freight agent) will just guess – bike parts “i’ve no idea” and gets either nil% or some wacky number

Plus £10 ‘admin charge’ if Parcel Force end up delivering it. Well, when I say “deliver” I mean you have to go and pick it up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How much tax / VAT would I pay on a £500 import from the States?’ is closed to new replies.