Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How much steerer do I need …
  • hardtailonly

Picked up a (not) new frame. Total length of the Headtube, headset and stem is 182mm. No spacers included in that. I’ve been offered a set of forks with a steerer length of 175mm. Is that going to be too short, or will that work? I guess it means that the top of the steerer is about 7mm below the top of the stem. Will I die, or will that be ok?

I guess I can look at a less deep stem, or headset, however think I need external headset for the HT to accept a tapered steerer.

hols2
    Free Member

Biggest thing for me is that you want the top clamp bolt of the stem to be clamping onto the steerer, not above it. How much steerer is sticking out past the top bearing?

Bez

Depends. The higher the (topmost) clamp bolt on the stem the more of an issue it is. If the steerer is aluminium or carbon rather than steel, that’s more of an issue. If you’re ham-fisted with allen keys or you’re going to be competing in Rampage then it’s more of an issue. No easy answer…

snotrag

-7mm would be too short for me to risk buying something sight unseen.

– Do you know how accurately the measurements have been taken?

– Have you measured to the bottom of where the crown race would be, or the bottom edge of the lower headset cup? There could be quite a different.

Options are lower headsets – some can be quite slimline, or a lower depth stem.

Regardless of all this, even if you can get it fitted, you also then are left with no options for spacers etc – the ste mwill be slammed, and if that doesnt work for you your stuck.

I’d want to see it in person myself before commiting.

jakd95
    Free Member

What’s the stack height of your stem? Something like a Ragley Stubbing (others available) has a low 32mm stack height so could gain you wiggle room fairly cheaply if your current stem is 35/40mm.

Akers

DMR Defy stem has a stack height of only 27mm. That should solve your problem, unless you’re already using one.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i have a defty stem here waiting to be sold 🙂 BNIB

iamanobody
    Free Member

Nukeproof stem is VERY low stack i think?

hardtailonly

i have a defty stem here waiting to be sold 🙂 BNIB

@howsyourdad1
    … Have PMd you.

TiRed

3T stems are a single bolt design, that may also help. But low stack height shoudl save you.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

If you are also converting to a tapered steerer from a straight one using an external bearing then this will add another 15mm or so to the overall length of the head tube which will make it even worse……..

hardtailonly

If you are also converting to a tapered steerer from a straight one using an external bearing then this will add another 15mm or so to the overall length of the head tube which will make it even worse……..

I’ve factored this in. The frame (On One 45650b) takes a tapered steerer, but does so by having an external (lower) headset … Have factored this into the measurements already.

Think with the lower stack stem, it’ll just about ‘go’. I’m not unduly worried about the bar height, I’ve had a 45650 before and the bars could certainly have gone lower then. If necessary, I can build in a bit more height with riser bars.

Cheers for the advice everyone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How much steerer do I need …’ is closed to new replies.