Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • How much insurance would you get if you were shot at work?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Imagine you worked at a scrap yard and were attacked by armed robbers and shot in the leg. You made a reasonable recovery and now appear to be incredibly wealthy.

Would your employer’s insurance cover this sort of thing? Asking for a friend *cough*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes, probably, policy terms may vary, always read the small print.

Kahurangi

Is this alluding to a news story or something? Sorry, I live under a rock.

jekkyl

meh

Rubber_Buccaneer

shot in the leg

Left or right?

wwaswas

and now appear to be incredibly wealthy

the implication being you’d somehow benefited from whatever proceeds the armed robbers ended up with?

higgo
    Free Member

I know if I die at work my wife gets 9.5 x my salary and that’s on top of various other insurances etc.

My wife does not know this.

tomhoward

the implication being you’d somehow benefited from whatever proceeds the armed robbers ended up with?

Or the OP wants to know how big a jackpot a colleague has hit, for undergoing the minor inconvenience of being shot, but making a full(ish) recovery without having to ask them.

I know if I die at work my wife gets 9.5 x my salary and that’s on top of various other insurances etc.

It’s not just if you die AT work, most death in service payments cover you if you die whilst employed by the company. Something else to keep from the wife, and also a reason to keep work from knowing about any life threatening conditions…

rocketman
    Free Member

Is this alluding to a news story or something?

Nope genuine just-being-nosey enquiry about someone I know of who has become quite wealthy.

Although serious injuries at work may result in many 10s of thousand GBP I wondered how much you might get if you were actually shot

Flaperon

I would have thought that if the employers had taken reasonable care and weren’t negligent, then he wouldn’t be entitled to anything.

sandwicheater

I would have thought that if the employers had taken reasonable care and weren’t negligent, then he wouldn’t be entitled to anything.

This i suspect.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Don’t know. But I do know that it’s scarily easy to die from a bullet in the leg.

avdave2

Let’s hope I don’t let it slip out later then

tomhoward

Don’t know. But I do know that it’s scarily easy to die from a bullet in the leg.

Most of Britain are about to find out what the effects of being shot in the foot are. Some will come out quite wealthy/ier too.

wwaswas

Criminal Injuries Compensation Board may have been involved?

footflaps

The going rate when I used to work at Brinks Mat was £1-2m for taking a minor hit…

tomhoward

Criminal Injuries Compensation Board may have been involved?

Was just about to mention that. I got £75 for taking a punch to the face whilst working in a bar. Most lucrative fat lip I’ve ever had…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

confusing liability and insurance there

poly
    Free Member

Imagine you worked at a scrap yard and were attacked by armed robbers and shot in the leg. You made a reasonable recovery and now appear to be incredibly wealthy.

Would your employer’s insurance cover this sort of thing? Asking for a friend *cough*

Criminal injuries compensation?
    A personal insurance policy that pays out in case of permanent injury?
    An ex gracia payment from a generous employer?
    Hush money from an employer who needs the injured party not to expose the underground world he operates in?
    A coincidental inheritance?
    A life affirming moment that changes your attitude to saving for old age to enjoying the moment?

I suppose it also depends what “incredibly wealthy” means.

Marin
    Free Member

Why leave you with a gsw and a live witness. I’d dump you in the boot of a banger and put you through the car crusher. If your goo didn’t leak out who’d know. Dead men can’t point at you in court.

drlex
    Free Member

Paging Big Vern to the thread.

xora

Ive had insurance from my employer before that gave a value per limb and per digit! And its quite a significant amount. But then the after-care and life adjustments can be very expensive!

hols2
    Free Member

I wondered how much you might get if you were actually shot

Were you shot by an irate customer who refused to believe how much it costs to replace suspension pivot bearings?

rocketman
    Free Member

The going rate when I used to work at Brinks Mat was £1-2m for taking a minor hit

Hmm interesting. Enough to move from a 3-bed in the suburbs to a place in the countryside and a Bentley

cookeaa

At a former employer some quite detailed proposals for death/injury in service benfits were released as part of a T&Cs harmonisation exercise…

I had several conversations about which digit I would be OK to loose for a few grand, some of my coleagues were discussing which limb they’d give up

Its surprising how many people think they could muddle by without a finger, toe or even an entire lower leg….

tomhoward

Its surprising how many people think they could muddle by without a toe

Doctors keep telling me its no biggie to lose my big toe. I’d still rather not…

kilo

I met someone who’d been in a very similar situation to the op, although he did shoot the two people who had come to the scrapyard to strong arm him in the head. He got double life (only one body was ever found). Based on this and some other dealings with scrappys I’d be a tad cynical regarding any payments.

scaredypants

hmmm, armed raid on a scrappy ? presumably they didn’t come for a couple of fiesta doorskins

(I used to know a lad whose dad had one. He NEVER talked about it but used to be away at really odd times of the night)

johndoh
    Free Member

So is the OP suggesting the person was shot on purpose to make him look like a victim when, in fact, he was in league with the armed gunmen but took the bullet to make him look innocent?

footflaps

(I used to know a lad whose dad had one. He NEVER talked about it but used to be away at really odd times of the night)

Yep, pulling all those copper BT cables out of the ducts is best done under cover of darkness…

rocketman
    Free Member

hmmm, armed raid on a scrappy ? presumably they didn’t come for a couple of fiesta doorskins

I agree it seems unlikely. Sources tell me there was some tension between the scrap yard owner and a rival scrap yard owner.

So is the OP suggesting the person was shot on purpose to make him look like a victim when, in fact, he was in league with the armed gunmen but took the bullet to make him look innocent?

Allegedly the robbers were known to the individual who was shot and he assisted the police in their enquiries as they say. Robbers got sent down, person who was shot seems to have come into some money. Hmm.

tomhoward

And you are posting as many details as you can on the internet.

It’s a bold strategy.

rocketman
    Free Member

lol

Google is no help at all with this sort of thing

somafunk

deadkenny
    Free Member

Have wondered what the deal is with working in betting shops. One near me has been done over many times including armed robbery. Are you just paid danger money for working there or rely on good insurance if you get shot?

Not that I’m looking for a job there. Just curious why you’d want to take the risk.

alanl
    Free Member

I used to do work for a money delivery service filling cash machines.
    The Staff were trained to just drop any cash box and walk backwards if threatened with a weapon. Instant dismissal if they didnt do that.
    If they were held up, they would have the next day off paid, and any time after that on half pay if they required any extra days off. Counselling was available.
    No cash payments to the staff for being robbed.
    It wasnt an attractive job.

taxi25
    Free Member

You’d normally get £44,000 for the loss of a leg above the knee. Considerably less for a gun shot wound you completely recovered from.
    But if the scrappy in question was just throwing his payment around it might appear that he’s come into more money than he actually has.

nealglover
    Free Member

Allegedly the robbers were known to the individual who was shot and he assisted the police in their enquiries as they say. Robbers got sent down, person who was shot seems to have come into some money. Hmm.

How much cash was there at the scrap yard, enough to fund a new house in the country and Bentley ?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

confusing liability and insurance there

But no liability without negligence and therefore no valid EL claim, no?

poly
    Free Member

Have wondered what the deal is with working in betting shops. One near me has been done over many times including armed robbery. Are you just paid danger money for working there or rely on good insurance if you get shot?

Not that I’m looking for a job there. Just curious why you’d want to take the risk.

Friend worked in one as a student. Money was OK but not amazing. They got robbed once, I think she got a or two day off whilst SOCO were doing their stuff! Whilst getting robbed is never going to be a nice experience, actually getting shot is not the normal outcome – the protocol is you handover whatever they ask for – the thief wants cash and a minimal investigation not a manhunt and (attempted) murder charge. Things may be different in a Scrappy where, based on the stereotype, some sort of message may have been getting sent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How much insurance would you get if you were shot at work?’ is closed to new replies.