• This topic has 148 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • How much booze do you get through?
  • didnthurt

Although there is no safe limit of alcohol consumption.

https://ncdalliance.org/news-events/news/take-this-to-heart-there-is-no-safe-level-of-alcohol

Small glass of red wine a day is fine I’m sure.

https://time.com/5552041/does-red-wine-help-you-live-longer/

Then I’m also sure you could fine a study to back almost anything.

matt_outandabout

A bottle of beer a week, occasional (monthly?) nip of whisky at the weekend.

stumpyjon

In the last week bottle and a half of red and 3 beers (330ml) which was quite a heavy week, some weeks it can be none. Getting worse with the wine, once a bottle is open it tends to get finished. Beers I’m better with and will have between 1 and 3 usually, needs to be a big do for a lot of beer.

Mugboo

This thread has reminded me that its time to check again. I peaked at 85-90 units during lockdown and I know I drink a lot less now but it might still be half that.

It was a revelation working out a table for units/abv… Like a lot of 50 somethings, I have a love hate relationship with it.

Dickyboy

Wife doesn’t drink, so there’s no incentive to drink more really

I’m the opposite, never used to drink at home but would drink 5pts or so on weekends when out with mates, now wifey likes to drink when cooking so we get through at least a couple of bottles a week, large cocktail couple of times a week and at least a couple of beers when out. Try to make sure I have a couple of alcohol free days but the government health advice can gtf.

tpbiker
    Free Member

That world health org brief referenced in that ncd link is really just scaremongering

There is plenty of evidence to show that moderate alcohol is protective of heart disease, which is kind of backed up by fact countries like Spain and France who drink far more than us on average, have better heart health.

Although maybe less people die of heart disease in those countries as their liver packs in first…

tjagain

Why does tbe first beer really quench my thirst but the third makes me so thirsty i have to drink a bucketful?

ernielynch

There is plenty of evidence to show that moderate alcohol is protective of heart disease, which is kind of backed up by fact countries like Spain and France who drink far more than us on average, have better heart health.

I don’t think it is “far more”, there isn’t a huge difference. And other factors such as diet probably plays a part. The difference between Spanish/French diet and British diet is probably more significant than alcohol intake.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Spanish recommended limit for booze is over double ours

I agree it’s probably influenced by diet to some degree however my point was that that who statement relating to heart disease and alcohol is not accurate, as there is plenty of evidence that it shows alcohol is protective against CHD

tjagain

And plenty of reseach debunking that claim

zippykona

Her opposite , is a single parent and her recycling bin is always overflowing with wine bottles every week. There must be at least 15.

BillMC

Drinking at home can be terrible for the health. It’s much better for you down the pub.

RustySpanner

Holiday last week, so 2 or 3 ciders every night with a meal, 5 days so about a dozen total.
    Camping with mates and Mrs S.
    I do this about 4 times a year, but if I’m walking a decent distance the next day I’ll drink orange juice.

Usually 3 or 4 bottles of cider or beer a week, but not every week.
    Will double that once a month if we go to the pub.

In my teens and twenties it was 25 pints a week minimum, often a hell of a lot more.

ernielynch

Spanish recommended limit for booze is over double ours

That doesn’t surprise me but the link below suggests that alcohol consumption in Spain is actually lower than the UK

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/research/research-and-evaluation-reports/comparisons

tpbiker
    Free Member

And plenty of reseach debunking that claim

Such as?

Duggan

I’d guess about 8-10 pints a week though in reality this would usually be 5-6 pints and a couple of vodka and tonics.

The problem is this will almost always be consumed in one go, at the weekend rather than spread out. I don’t usually drink in the week but will go to the pub or town on a Saturday teatime with my wife and/or friends and drink then.

I do exercise/train 4-5 days a week and take it semi seriously so wonder how much I’d improve my cycling/running if I reduced my intake. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t look forward to going out at the weekend though.

Case in point: I did 45miles pretty much as hard as I could on the road bike at 6am Sat morning and then spent 4pm- 1am later the same day out drinking with friends and then a meal out, followed by a gig etc. So, I’m not really sure what physiological benefit was really gained from the bike ride other than shifting a load of calories I then presumably immediately put back on, with interest.

nickc

evidence that it shows alcohol is protective against CHD

There’s evidence that there’s possibly some benefits of a small glass of beer or wine a day, but that’s totally overwhelmed by the actual evidence that a good diet and exercise does have on your health. Given that Spain has a climate that means that getting outdoors most of the year round and diet that contains lots of fresh veg probably goes more than a little way to offsetting alcohol intake in that country.

jimmy748

1-2 x 330ml cans daily Mon-Thursday
    2-3 x 330ml cans daily Fri-Sun
    Plus probably 2-3 pints a week during pub stops on rides.

tpbiker
    Free Member

There’s evidence that there’s possibly some benefits of a small glass of beer or wine a day, but that’s totally overwhelmed by the actual evidence that a good diet and exercise does have on your health

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Of course good diet and exercise is more important than alcohol to ward off heart disease, no one has ever claimed otherwise

Good article Here of some of the evidence that shows up to 2 glasses a day can be protective, plus the potential mechanism for why.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Like a lot on this thread, I’ve had a difficult relationship with alcohol 1 is too many and 10 is not enough!

Now into my 50’s I seem to be able to moderate consumption a bit more.
    Wife and kids bought me a perfect draft machine 2 years back and I think there has been 6 kegs through it!

What I’ve found really helps is having a job where I am on-call every 3rd week.
    The actual work part is crap but having to be available and sober is easy!

And to answer the question maybe 6 beers a week most often consumed at the the weekend.

nickc

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Of course good diet and exercise is more important than alcohol to ward off heart disease, no one has ever claimed otherwise

Oh sure. I would say that if you want to have a healthy long life, your chances of that are better without alcohol. If you want to have a glass of wine or a small beer with your dinner because you like to, then crack on, I think trying to tell yourself that the second glass is “for your heart health” is probs pushing your luck. 🙂

bfw

A unit a month on ave maybe. Two in one night and I am on my way to sh1t-faced.

I have never been a constant big drinker, and I often gave it up.

I have been riding bikes daily since 94, and then when my twin boys turned up in 2010, long hours at work and home and early mornings/late nights meant something had to ‘give’, rides with my mates was not going to be it. Booze went and still has almost 100%.

Generally at 55 and eating very healthy/anything I want 80/20 I feel amazing. I am not likely to change now.

bikerevivesheffield

60 pints= 8.57/day that’s crazy

avdave2

During the pandemic when I was working on a recycling truck there were people who had that much every 2 weeks!

the-muffin-man

About 14 pints a week.

More than the recommended amount, but sod it, I like it.

bob_summers

A shot of brandy in the double espresso in a cafe in the morning, set the day up nicely!

This is the carajillo. Worrying when you see on-duty cops drinking them at 7am…
    That said, the Spanish (generally speaking) have a different relationship with drinking – a midmorning beer on a café terrace looks bad to British eyes, but doesn’t lead to an all day sesh. When you go out together, you’re not getting a round every 20 minutes – there can be empty glasses on the table for half an hour before getting the next round. People leave half a bottle of wine after their menu del día. Etc.

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

These (or similar) threads pop up quite often now. I started one myself earlier in the year. I guess people kind of know when it’s too much.

#TOTW Anyone quit the booze?

I was drinking too much in my opinion. I’ve mostly given up since then, bar a few events.

If I’m completley honest with myself, I do miss it. I drink the zero beers quite often now, but always crave proper beer/red wine. But I feel MUCH better without it, and have achieved the things I’d aimed for – making more time for the family and kids without being a wreck hungover!

Yesterday, wake up early doors, out for a lovely hike with the dog, then out for a couple hours MTBing with the boy in the forest. Then still had over half the day to do other stuff.

I think if I didn’t suffer with any hangover (like some lucky people), I’d drink a lot.

oldenough
    Free Member

60 pints= 8.57/day that’s crazy

Not that crazy for regular drinkers, I know plenty of people who drink close to that if not more. Their not degenerate alcoholics either, all hold down sometimes high ranking responsible jobs, it’s just what their used to.
    Me varies week to week but probably averages 30 units a week.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Far too much. Yesterday was 5 pints and a couple of glasses of red wine. Still got up and rode 20 miles to work though, no hangover.

IdleJon

I don’t think it is “far more”, there isn’t a huge difference. And other factors such as diet probably plays a part. The difference between Spanish/French diet and British diet is probably more significant than alcohol intake.

The idea that a Spanish or French diet is somehow better than a British diet is really old fashioned, and not even vaguely true these days. I remember it being touted in the 80s that a Mediterranean diet was better for you, ignoring the fact that lots of Mediterranean food was poverty based. But people went on holiday, and saw ancients in the villages they were visiting and decided that olive oil soaked pasta must be better than spuds. The fact that those ancients were really only 50 didn’t enter their mind.

Life expectancy in France, Spain and Italy are all higher than the UK, by a small number of years, but Norway, Switzerland and Iceland are at the top of the list. Fermented shark anyone?

jambourgie
    Free Member

I don’t do moderation so it’s all or nothing. Had a year off drinking during covid, and sometimes have a break of a month but when it’s on, it’s on! four to eight pints or one to three bottles of wine majority of the week if I’m honest. Well, Fri/Sat/Sun for sure. Funny thing is, I only enjoy it when I’m drinking, I mean, if say I’m having a month off I never think about it. I’d happily give it up if it wasn’t for the fact I’d never see my friends and family again…

Yak

About a bottle of red or half a bottle and a couple of beers.

seriousrikk

It varies.

I usually get through 8 440ml cans of craft a week. Usually a bit less, sometimes more. If I go out I’ll do that or more in a night.

This is a huge cut back from pre-covid days when I was drinking at least half again on the beer (and steadily rising) along with at least half a bottle of rum each week. More importantly, I was getting fidgety on nights when I chose not to have a drink.

franksinatra

Probably around 60 pints of beer a week

I can’t stop thinking about this. Is that real? If so then seriously, that is so far away from being okay. By any measure, you need need to cut that right back.

On a normal working week, I try to limit drinks to one or two nights, Fri and Sat. I find it hard enough to get up in the morning for work as it is. Holidays are different rules. I reckon if I average things out it would be 1/2 – 1 bottle of wine per week. I’ve got a mini keg of beer in the garage unopened since my birthday in May.

I do find the more often I drink, the more often I want to drink. When I don’t drink often, I really don’t miss it at all.

freeagent
    Free Member

depends really – i’ve not had a drink since mid-Aug on holiday, and doubt i’ll have one again until i either get the train somewhere (rare event) or go away for work (November?)

Will probably get smashed at the work Christmas do.

I can go months without touching a drop, then drink every night for a week if working away.
    If someone told me i could never drink again i’d not be that bothered.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Probably around 60 pints of beer a week

Surely it depends on how much booze is in the beer? I mean it must get to a point if it’s a weak session-beer where the negative effects of the alcohol are cancelled out by time and the sheer amount of water being consumed? There must be a mathematical theory for this.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Usually 3 bottles of red a week, sometimes 4. Still able to compete at a good level and enjoy it so not bothered about living till 99.

johnjn2000

How much do you get through? It was too much hence why I started this topic as motivation to give up Reducing Beer – Help!

tractionman

I used to drink a bottle of IPA a night, but a shot across the bows was being told I was pre-diabetic, so I cut out the beer, that was in Feb 2020, and have stayed off it ever since except for the odd occasion. I lost weight and did not need to keep going to the loo in the night! Instead I have a small amount of single malt nightly, a bottle of Talisker lasts me ages, and it’s a nice end of the day treat.

cheers,

Keith

IdleJon

Surely it depends on how much booze is in the beer? I mean it must get to a point if it’s a weak session-beer where the negative effects of the alcohol are cancelled out by time and the sheer amount of water being consumed? There must be a mathematical theory for this.

An average of 8.5 pints per day. Even if it was a weak beer, to allow it to be cancelled out by time would mean constant drinking through most of the day, so no working, no driving, etc. If drunk through an evening, then means that the drinker shouldn’t be driving the next morning, and probably not doing anything that requires concentration.

Also, seeing as this is a MTB forum, that’s maybe 1600 calories a day consumed, so putting on half a kg of fat every few days. I assume that the 60 pint a week drinker is making time – 20+ hours of strenuous activity each week – to counter the effects of this and stay race fit? 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.