• This topic has 148 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • How much booze do you get through?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just cleaning out my empty bottles from the past 17 weeks…36 of them, all red wine

I work that out at just over 2 a week. Obviously that’s well in excess of the recommended levels, but is it actually that much? (I have have very little on top of this in form of beer etc, so it’s an accurate reflection on my boozing)

longdog
    Free Member

None 😁

lunge

8 pints ish per week, almost none drank at home.
    Occasionally we’ll open a bottle of wine, but that’s rare.

irc

It isn’t that much. A bottle of 13% wine is around 10 units. So 20 units a week.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-great-alcohol-cover-up-how-public-health-hid-the-truth-about-drinking

weeksy

6-7 beers in a given week. Usually 440ml cans or 500ml bottles.

With winter on the way that will drop though

a11y

2-3 beers a week (330ml ones) and a glass or two of wine.

Rarely drink when I’m out, even though weekly bike rides end in a brewery – having to drive home sucks.

wheelsonfire1

Probably around 60 pints of beer a week, have done for many years. Very few health problems and 62. Now then..

benos

I was drinking 50-60 units per week when I decided to sort myself out. Now it’s generally 10 or less and I feel better for it.

20 isn’t bad, but how they make you feel in the morning should be a guide. I sleep better without booze.

Klunk
    Free Member

try to keep my drinking to the weekends only…. usually share a bottle of red with the wife on friday evenings and with sunday lunch…. with occasional rides to the pub pre or post lunch beers on sundays.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Tbh it’s never all in one go, not had a hang over in years. But it’s a couple of glasses every night and has been ongoing for past 2.5 years

I’ve decided to take a month off to see if it makes me feel any better (sleep specifically) but i also have one eye on the cardiovascular impact of booze given I Need to take a few extra precautions in this regard. Interestingly however most studies appear to show that a couple of glasses of wine a night actually protect against heart disease so not sure giving up altogether is a great idea

Kryton57

Probably around 60 pints of beer a week

wtf!

reluctantjumper

None for me, never was a big drinker anyway but a few accidents in a short period of time meant that had to stop. It was a real eye-opener going out with friends and seeing just how much they drank compared to what they thought they did. Alcohol is just so normalised in our society that what is a ‘normal’ amount per week isn’t actually very good for you.

scotroutes

1/2 bottle of wine and maybe a couple of beers per week. TBH I can go weeks without so I tend to lose track. Often, I’ll buy beer only because there was something in the supermarket that looked interesting and I’ll buy one or two cans/bottles.

CheesybeanZ

At pub prices that’s around £200ish a week on beer 🍺

tartanscarf

2-3 beers a week and maybe a g and t in a Friday. Whatever that equates to!

tjagain

These days lm an occasional drinker. Probably been averaging 5 beers a week on this trip and thats more than i usually would. I can go weeks without alchol but once i get past the second drink on any one night i tend not to stop🙄

ton

some weeks non at all. and this can sometimes go for a month or 2.
    then i may go on a bike trip or 2 like the lakes mtb thing, followed by a weeks touring with the lads, then out last saturday with wifes friends, then out this saturday with rugby mates.

and at them times it can be 6-8 pints a session. not good.

dyna-ti

These days its approximately 1x1ltr Rum/year.

I dont really drink these days, though if someone else is buying…..

Outwith that I like a splash of spiced rum in my coffee. Just a splash, probably only a couple of teaspoons worth, I feel it adds greatly to the flavour.

andy4d

Had increased to Around 12-15 cans/bottles a week (no spirits or wine, just cider), a couple of cans/bottles most nights but never more than 3 (I would be asleep by 3), can’t remember when I was last drunk. Felt this was not good so stopped altogether back in April. Went a year or so without a few years back too. Not missing it or planning to drink again, for now anyway.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve had something like ~2 glasses of wine since Xmas, doesn’t take much at all for me to get drunk these days and have the hangover from hell, probably saves me from further Calorie temptation!

If only I could go cold turkey on coffee for a month or so, I’d actually then stand a chance of getting a proper caffeine kick. 😆

halifaxpete

Afew post ride pints mid week occasionally, 3 or 4 cans Friday/Saturday night.

doris5000

Since having Long COVID, a lot less! Probably 2-3 small glasses of wine a week, and one or two ‘table beers’ (ie less than 3% abv) a week. Before COVID, at least double that. Even then, since about 35 any more than 3 pints in a night is a recipe for a decent hangover so I’ve been keeping it down!

I don’t think 2 bottles (of wine…) a week is terrible – that’s about 2 small glasses a night. Which is a bit more than they recommend but not crazy. You might want to take a couple of nights off a week though!

Jordan

At pub prices that’s around £200ish a week on beer

When I was in my late teens/early twenties a gallon a night, every night was the norm and more on a weekend cos you could have a proper session then. Then got married and stayed in more but soon discovered home brewing so got back into regular drinking. Now at 59 I usually drink three cans a night with a bit more on weekends. Spent four nights in hospital in april(first time in my life overnight in hospital) and they asked about my drinking habits. When they brought my meds in the evening I recognised all but one. When I asked what it was for they said because I drink every night it was to stop me getting withdrawals. I felt a bit embarrassed and insulted by that as I didn’t consider myself an addict but took it anyway. When I came home I was on strong, no alcohol painkillers for six weeks so had no booze at all for that time. Didn’t bother me at all not having booze but soon got back on it when allowed.

zippykona

330ml of beer a day.

Caher

Couple of bottles of wine a week plus a pub session with mates at the weekend. My liver and kidneys are tested every 3 months or so as I have genetically high cholesterol and no damage ever shows.
    Could drink less but I enjoy it.

ernielynch

Probably around 60 pints of beer a week, have done for many years. Very few health problems and 62.

So you’ve got a few health problems then?

My alcohol intake is currently about 1-3 units per year. I need an extremely good excuse/significant event to allow alcohol to pass my lips.

TiRed

I keep my gin in the freezer to stop it going off. About three units a week. Nothing in the past week. Alcohol disagrees with my digestive tract and I get sick before drunk. But I do rather like the occasional cocktail, craft beers and decent red wine. Just not often or in any great quantities.

If I go to the pub post ride with the group, I’ll have a half a pint and then ride a long route home. At the same time others might have drunk three pints. I can’t drink three pints.

tomhoward

None now.

Never been a regular drinker, only socially/on work events but when I did, I went for it. I struggle with moderation so it’s easier just to say ‘no thanks’.

Coming up for 3 years now.

reeksy

I mostly make my own. A 19 litre keg of 5-7% beer normally will last me 6-8 weeks. Tend to have a couple of glasses a night on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Daffy

A bottle of wine and a cider or 3 in a week. Far too much really. My wine club membership has just ended and I don’t order in cider anymore. By Christmas I should be completely out of alcohol in the house and it won’t get replenished. I’ll be sticking to Gordens Zero in the summer and will have to find something for the colder months.

Kryton57

Also struggle with moderation and deplore hangovers – one helps with other. Usually avoid booze during the week, the day before, and immediately after a training session which limits me to a beer and/ or glass of red wine on a Sunday.

I’m of an age now where a decent quality beverage in the evening is one of life’s pleasures which seems to be a temptation getting harder to ignore.

Daffy

I’m of an age now where a decent quality beverage in the evening is one of life’s pleasures which seems to be a temptation getting harder to ignore.

I hear that. Long days, stressful job and a busy home life – I’ve set this marker of Christmas to kick it before it turns from habit to dependency.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I work that out at just over 2 a week.

You need to try harder. 😂

anagallis_arvensis

We get through a bottle of red and a bottle of white a week between the two of us.

nickc

A glass of red with dinner is usually all I’ll have. Maybe a beer or two over the weekend. Wife doesn’t drink, so there’s no incentive to drink more really. Always give myself a day off each week, more through habit than any conscious decision to drink less.

fathomer

Normally one beer on a Wednesday night after a ride but not always. And one if we go out for dinner, but can often go weeks without having any alcohol at all.

hels
    Free Member

I love these threads – such a range of what people think is “normal” drinking and at least one SWTAF post. If you are drinking 60 pints a week and this is not a typo and you meant 60 units then you might want to consider discussing this with your GP.

Also – a teaspoon of rum in your coffee – is that every day? That sounds like micro-dosing, and something I saw people doing in Spain when I lived out there. A shot of brandy in the double espresso in a cafe in the morning, set the day up nicely!

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

4 beers of 330ml at the weekend (Saturday usually) watching Spanish football.
    One pint in the pub after bike ride Thursday night with mates.

andyp79
    Free Member

About 2 beers a week on average. Most weeks it’s zero, which can be 3-4 weeks or more on the trot and then I’ll have a occasional couple on a Friday or Saturday night. But then sometimes something unusual happens, like last week where I was at two work evening events and had 5-6 pints at both. I find that’s about my limit now, from a capacity point of view.

I’ve had about 8-10 beers in the garage fridge for months now and they just sit there for the most part. My mates bought me a Perfect Draft machine and it’s ace, but I drank the first keg (6 litres) over a month and then me and one of said mates drank the second one in an evening. That was about 2 months ago and I’ve not bought any more kegs yet. We’re away on holiday in 3 weeks so I know I won’t finish another one by then, so I’ll get one when I come back… which will probably end up being saved for the Christmas holidays.

Bruce

Mostly none, maximum 2 bottles of beer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.