Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • How many people have been stung in the classifieds?
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

My experience of the classifieds as a seller and a buyer has been very very good. Only ever had one problem where something was lost in the post, and that was resolved amicably.

SB

PS – I’ve posted stuff out before I’ve had the money too. Why should it be asumed that the seller is more trustworthy than the buyer and vice-versa? Like the seller doesn’t send until the cheque is cleared. It’s trust on both sides.

donsimon
    Free Member

My only experience was good. I bought a seatpost that spent a fair amount of time travelling between the UK and Spain before finally arriving. Emails exchanged to keep on top of the problem and both parties relaxed. Seat post still adorns my Pipedream.
    I would be more cautious now due to the higher level of scamming and only buy from people I recognised and trusted.

scaredypants

2 annoyances (shit/incomplete item) out of maybe 40 transactions

sounds OK but it’s still 5% 👿

ton

never been stung.
    had a crap set of wheels sent, but the bloke took them back.

and only ever had one complaint, when i trusted my son that a rear wheel was ok………..it turned out to be shagged internally.
    i gave the buyer a full refund.

Woody
    Free Member

when i trusted my son that a rear wheel was ok

Wasn’t the DMR I sold you was it Ton – I thought that was bombproof!

andygreener

Have bought and sold lots on here, with no problems (so far). I agree if I treat people like I want to be treated the it should go okay. Obviously not in all cases for everyone. Though I would be more wary if spending a lot of money on something. I think if it sounds too good to be true it probably is….

ton

woody, no that’s still going strong. 8)

Dancake
    Free Member

Really have done well with the classifieds here. Had some nice stuff. Love the Manitou r seven I got from here!

failed miserably on ebay with some forks. Fox F100s “just come back form a shop service” translated as “Top bush destroyed, stantions ruined, forks full of an odd grey substance which runs down the legs when you ride”

all form a guy with good feedback. i was quite green back then

yunki
    Free Member

very positive in my very limited experience

sssimon
    Free Member

only stung once on a set of xtr cranks which weren’t the ones in the pic the guy put up, he’s still here infrequently, I’ll get him in the long grass

Had a few issues with stuff I’ve sent eith not being what people expected or the royal mail or parcelforce being a nightmare to deal with, all resolved in the usual amicable stw way

abennell
    Free Member

I’ve had nothing but good stuff from here, both buying and selling, i’d always prefer to buy off here rather than ebay, at least most people on here are actually bikers and not just trying to make money

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah a tosser on bike radar, only 50 but still annoying.

For those of you ripping into DT, he might be a pillock but he didn’t actually scam anyone, it was his wierd attempt at humour.

nedrapier

I’m glad someone did the euphemism gag.

Well done, Rusty.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For those of you ripping into DT, he might be a pillock

🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Never stung, but sent a lot of stuff that never arrived, about £300 down so far.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I got stung recently by bendeason, paid £30 for an IPOD dock but it never arrived, and he never replied to any of my emails, I paid Paypal as a Gift, wont be doing that again.

hora
    Free Member

Always get the postal address of the seller (and at least 192 them etc) so if it is a spotty teenager laughing at his pc at another chump you can always knock on his door.

If they don’t/wont/can’t reply on email or talk on the phone, or traceable don’t gamble with your money I say.

philconsequence
    Free Member

bought a ‘winter hack bike’ from the classifieds… smoooth experience, drove down, super nice guy, tested the bike and he even offered to adjust the set up for me, drove home and a couple of days later some extra brake pads arrived in the post for it 😀

i’d only buy from regular forum users i think, or someone i could drive to, view and test the product in person.

i’d have quite a few bits to sell but my riding buddies and i have built up a kinda communal spares bin (and cleaning products, tools, bike stand and storage)

ononeorange

All good experiences bar one. Most people on here are fantastic, really helpful etc.

The one bad one was a chainset, the thread on one of the arms was stripped so the arm was useless. Seller not interested as I hadn’t noticed immediately.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Never been stung on STW, but i tend to steer clear anyway as the prices are either too expensive, or too cheap (so i suspect somethings up). 2nd hand prices are too much for me, given the risk and lack of warranty. Got stung on some forks on ebay which had knackered bushings but only lost 30 quid or so after selling them on with an honest description.

I think i’m going to steer clear of 2nd hand forks from now on. Too many potential problems!

crashbanggg
    Free Member

I got scammed on PB for £140, there were about 14 of us in total that got scammed by the same guy. Reported it all to to the Police, gave statements etc. All the bastard got was community service. No compensation at all, so he essentially got away with scamming a couple of grands worth of bits.

I also lost £10 on another forum when I let my guard down and paid by PayPal Gift. Though everything on this forum has been absolutely brilliant!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How many people have been stung in the classifieds?’ is closed to new replies.