Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • How many people have been stung in the classifieds?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok post-IWH/Plymouth bloke. I’ve noticed there are a few new sellers using similar/STW language to sell stuff however I may be paranoid etc but if you do get stung, I’d imagine alot of people would feel embarrised wouldn’t they?

Alot came out on the IWH thread as it was a collective ‘so I’m not the only one’.

wwaswas

I had some issues with one of the old ‘regular sellers’ but got it resolved without needing to go public. Other than that pretty smooth and I’ve bought/sold quite a lot over the years.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Without stating the obvious, if the seller has little or no form and they are selling goods at below market prices you don’t need to be the sharpest tool to realise that there is a very strong chance you will get burnt.

footflaps

I’m surprised there is a minimum # of posts or time served before you can post an ad – stops scroats just using it to avoid Ebay fees.

hora
    Free Member

mundie I think in alot of humans there is the ‘I must get there first’ dash (especially on STW where its first to pay ASAP that gets the item not dibs).

morgs
    Free Member

no problems here….I think the ‘STW massif’ seem pretty trusting as sellers and I have no concerns buying.

A number of times items have been posted while cheques are waiting to clear etc and everything I have bought is as described.

No complaints….although I guess it could be done

binners

Feeding our fork addiction again are we?

hora
    Free Member

Its not been sated for 18months

Coyote
    Free Member

Nothing but good reports here.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve never had any problems on this forum before, everyone is sound!

Got stung on the Bikeradar forum though, didnt bother me too much as I’m pretty well off and it was only £50. However, I never like getting beaten so I managed to get most of my money back, scammed a couple of different users myself!

What comes around goes around

mike_p
    Free Member

Only issues I’ve ever had (a couple, both pretty minor) were easily resolved. But I’m reasonably wary when buying and try to keep my descriptions honest when I’m selling – it’s no more difficult than that

thomthumb
    Free Member

bought a seatpost from

ryanatno7@hotmail.com

don’t know the user name.

turned up and was scratched beyond belief/ safe use.

Got a partial refund. Not best pleased as the phot weas described as “paint worn not as bad as photo” was 3mm deep scratches 😯

hora
    Free Member

What happened to that bloke who bought an expensive camera/kit from someone up Bolton way?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m surprised there is a minimum # of posts or time served before you can post an ad – stops scroats just using it to avoid Ebay fees.

Yes, it would be nice if some sort of system like this was used.

I try to buy off people who seem sound/I recognise the name of from the main forums. e.g. I wanted a stem the other day, had quite a few offers but in the end bought the one Thom offered me, and no suprises, it turned up as described in about 24 hours.

joao3v16
    Free Member

scammed a couple of different users myself!

Well, this is one user we all now know not to trust on here …

Doesn’t like being scammed, but is happy to scam others.
    Nice piece of work.

🙄

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

yeah i got stung last month for a psp. My own fault didn’t research the guy at all.

I post next day fully insured and if i can’t i let the buyer know.

I treat people as i expect them to treat me.

binners

What happened to that bloke who bought an expensive camera/kit from someone up Bolton way?

He was abducted by Aliens, given an anal probe, had one of his kidneys removed, was forced to eat a raw squirrel, but was then deposited back at the Reebok where a ghostly apparition of Sam Alladyce handed him his camera. So he popped up Rivi and took some shots then posted them on here.

Did you not see them?

hora
    Free Member

Of your big hairy ass? :mrgreen:

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice piece of work.

Yeh man, but I’m from the streets. Thats how we do things. Scam or be scammed.

binners

Nope. I’ve had it waxed

Junkyard
    Free Member

only had two issues one resolved without forum activity as some parts were missing
    One I sold something that was not as described* and offered a discount whilst they were in the post or refund.They accepted the discount
    * needed some bar ends for carbon bars described some hope ones as good bu the logos were nearly rubbed off. I seent anyway as they were urgent

IMHO the only real issues are where folk have deliberately set out to scam someone rather then their being “misunderstandings”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have bought and sold a few times…very little though. Been a smooth experience each time. Pisses me off when I hear of people being scammed though. Generally I’ll only buy from someone who regularly posts in the bike and/or chat forums too though.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve only had one real ocurrance. I was paid to keep it quiet though 8)

binners

Have you been skipping your medication again?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

joao3v16 – Member

scammed a couple of different users myself!

Nice piece of work.

Sweet Jesus.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

99% of stuff has been OK.

Bought some forks that I even gave the seller half the cost of a new seal kit/rebuild. Yea, didn’t solve the borked damper did inside did it? I was about 17 at the time and it was my first STW purchase so left a bitter taste and actualy quite upset as £130 was about 5 weeks wages. Ran them for about 3 years effectively locked out as I couldn’t afford to replace them.

Had a few bits returned as I’m of the oppinion that it it works as it did when it left the factory then the cosmetics are irelavent, so a few bits with scratches have raised eyebrows.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Yep been stung a couple of times but have bought and sold so much over the last couple of years thats its a very small minority.
    People on here are generally a lot more pleasant to deal with than other areas.

It does annoy me though that the main culprit that shafted me (FREEFORMFIVESPOT) still trades on here regularly. I try and throw a spanner in the works if I notice his adds though, wouldn’t want others to be stung.

barn
    Free Member

I’ve bought and sold omplete bikes, frames and everything in between without issue.
    I’ve also been on rideouts with random STW crew (which has involved meeting bearded strangers at four in the morning – e.g. SDW in a day mission).

All of this, so far, has resulted in a brilliantly friendly exchange of good kit and great riding.
    I can honestly say that my experience of mountain biking is way better thanks to the strange, sartorial but so far safe STW. 😀

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Not been stung on here as I’ve not bought owt but have been had twice on ebay (out of about 400 buys and sales), one set of Junior T’s ‘as new’ but were actually **** and repainted and a Prophet frame that was a diferent size than advertised – ebay wouldn’t refund either after numerous calls to their Indian call centre.

RustySpanner

Never been stung in the classifieds.

Been kicked in the shoemakers a couple of times though……..

avdave2

I’ve not actually bought anything but whenever I’ve seen something that might interest me I look at the sellers forum history immediately. I’d happily buy if they were regular posters but I would never consider buying from someone who used the site primarily to sell stuff.

I can easily see how when something seems like a bargain it’s hard to resist. I keep looking at the carbon Focus Cayo with 105 groupset for £880 on Wiggle and it’s hard to resist even though It really isn’t what I need!

cr500dom
    Free Member

I reserve judgement at the moment as I am still waiting on some Oakleys or a refund to arrive….

FWIW I bought some stuff from Freeform5spot and it was as described and a fairly painless experience too 🙂

Overall I prefer buying stuff off here than ebay

jeff

Been very good generally, only one problem and that was a stem that must have been so massively over tightened that it had stretched – The two sides meet together before the stem starts gripping the steerer tube enough.

I didn’t fit the stem for a few weeks felt it was too long a gap to return it. not a nice experience.

Everything else has been great.

hora
    Free Member

Bought some forks

Three issues I’ve had.

Fork 1 – Looked like it had been stored in a coalbunker (refunded)
    Fork 2 – Was crying out for a service (refunded)
    Fork 3 – Big scratch on stanchion (discount)

transporter13
    Free Member

I frequent a couple of of different forums and have bought and sold on all of them…without issue so far. Never had an uhappy buyer as I always describe anything I sell honestly…treat as wish to be treated and all that….same with postage…I only use 1st class recorded, sure..it costs more but I’d be far happier in the knowledge that the item will definitely get there when I said it would.
    Retrobike has a feedback forum which helps a lot..just a shame that we cant implement it on here.
    Or

Stipulate that all ads must have up to date good quality pics of any items for sale..inc any damage/marks/scratches etc being shown in detail

Would it work?

Davidtaylforth….how could you knowingly scam someone???? you sir are a complete TARD!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I bought some forks off a guy about 2 years ago, I got them all looked good, pealed off a hope sticker to fina massive pitting area from salt etc. I sent the gu a email he never replyed and never came on stw again.

I sold a gt frame (averlanch I think) I got the name wrong and over priced the frame. The guy who bought it didn’t realise it was wrong until he built it and was pleased with it. He emailed me I offerEd him some money back which he accepted and every one was happy. I also try to deliver/pick up stuffing buy/sell.

redted
    Free Member

All good here both buying and selling. Alot of very helpful people on here. I generally won’t sell stuff if I think there’s even a slight chance of a dispute. I’m probably a bit too trusting of folk but so far i’ve not been let down and I check peoples profiles and history first.

Spud

Once, early on using the site too. Several of us got taken by the same cretin. It went to the police too as some sums involved were significant. Mine was ‘only’ a set of tyres that never showed. Other than that all good.

Northwind

I have… But I’ve benefitted more than I’ve lost so I just count it as part of the cost.

Woody
    Free Member

Never been stung financially buying or selling but OMG I’ve had a huge amount of time and effort wasted recently by potential buyers.

IME the more emails that are exchanged, the less chance of the buyer actually having any money or the ability to make a decision. The record stands so far at 26 emails then nothing from the ‘buyer’. Maybe I shouldn’t be so polite and helpful 👿

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How many people have been stung in the classifieds?’ is closed to new replies.